Away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do an away rotation in surgical pathology and was wondering if I could glean some information from some of my wiser colleagues. For example, does anyone know of a university hospital that has a student-friendly path rotation? It doesn't have to be the most prestigous place, but by "student-friendly" I'm basically looking for good teaching with good mentors. What about a place where the chair is open to writing solid recommendations (provided the student does well)? Thank you so much and best wishes to all the M4s as you all finalize those rank lists!!

Members don't see this ad.

What region of the country are you interested in?

pathdoc68 said:
What region of the country are you interested in?

Personally, I'm interested in either coast with Boston, New York, DC Area, SF, LA, Seattle being cities of high interest. However, if the teaching/mentorship is available, I am willing to go anywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a rotation at UCLA during November 2005 and had a great time. It's extremely student-friendly since you get to decide what areas you want to focus on during the 3 weeks that you're there. They have specialized sign-out and I spent 1 week on head/neck/heart/lung, 1 week on GI/liver, and 1 week on blood banking. I'm not too sure about getting a letter, however. I did the rotation after my application was submitted and wasn't really focused on that.

I did an away rotation in surgical pathology at Stanford and I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it!! You get cases (between 10-15) accessioned to you and you gross, preview and sign them out with attendings so essentially you function as a resident. I don't know about getting letters there (since I personally didn't ask for them having already submitted my ERAS w/letter by that time), but the teaching was amazing :) .

Finding housing around the area was kind of difficult, but they do have names of people on the website who rent out rooms in their houses.