Away Rotations????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pep45

pep45
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.... Kind of been wondering this for some time and haven't been able to get a good answer from 4th years at my institution. I have 3-4 schools that I want to apply for away rotations in. My schedule will only allow me to do 1 away rotation (our 4th year schedule is bunk). Anyways, I will definitely apply to all of these insitutions for interviews and I was wondering if programs feel snubbed if they accept you for an away rotation and you decline. I would imagine that all of the PD's know each other and sort of have an idea about where or what an applicant has been up to during fourth year. I guess my question is do I apply to only one away rotation and hope I get it or to 4 and possibly decline 3 of them. Any fourth years willing to comment on how hard it was to get away rotations at the desired institution last year???:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I can guarantee you that my program director has no idea who applies for away rotations at our institution. He only knows the ones who actually come, and only then because he gets feedback from our attendings about them.

So apply away. It would be way worse to not get accepted by any than to have to turn a few down -- especially if you can explain your situation to them.

For what its worth, I did ZERO away rotations, and everything worked out fine.

So... I'm just about to start 3rd year , but was wondering what criteria you use to pick away rotations? There are several places that I've been checking out... Do you go to the spot that you think you would like to match? or places where you've already made contacts? is it a good idea to email some of the current residents? any thoughts?