AWOL Letter Writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a nontrad applicant who's applying this cycle, several years post-graduation. In May, I asked my undergrad research supervisor to write me a LOR and he agreed. Since then, however, I've been totally unable to get in contact with him. I've called, emailed, and texted and frankly, I'm concerned about him. He's written absolutely excellent letters on several occassions and though he always did like doing things at the last minute, this seems out of character.

Concerning the application, it's getting quite late in the cycle (relatively speaking) and I need to submit secondaries with letters ASAP. Though I have other research letters, this will be a conspicuous hole in my letters, especially since I'm a research-focused applicant. Would it be worth adding a note to my application saying that he agreed, but then uncharacteristically disappeared. I'm sure this happens from time to time. What is typically advised in situations like this.

Thank you all very much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It might or might not be a conspicuous hole in your application, depending on the expectations of the particular adcom. Calling attention to it is never going to be helpful to you, and pointing a finger at an AWOL letter writer is not going to reflect well on you.

Yes, it sucks, but you are right. It's getting late kind of early around here.

You are not the first applicant, research heavy or not, to be ghosted. Maybe reach out one more time, among other reasons to see if everything is okay, and then just move forward with what you have. It's really all you can do in the middle of August.

Reactions: 2 users
Though I have other research letters, this will be a conspicuous hole in my letters, especially since I'm a research-focused applicant. Would it be worth adding a note to my application saying that he agreed, but then uncharacteristically disappeared.
Please don't do this. It will only reflect poorly on you to bring it up in this fashion.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't do this. It will only reflect poorly on you to bring it up in this fashion.
It might or might not be a conspicuous hole in your application, depending on the expectations of the particular adcom. Calling attention to it is never going to be helpful to you, and pointing a finger at an AWOL letter writer is not going to reflect well on you.

Yes, it sucks, but you are right. It's getting late kind of early around here.

You are not the first applicant, research heavy or not, to be ghosted. Maybe reach out one more time, among other reasons to see if everything is okay, and then just move forward with what you have. It's really all you can do in the middle of August.

Yeah, I expected that this would be the answer. Thought I may as well ask though. Hopefully it won’t be too much of an issue. Thanks very much for the help!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I expected that this would be the answer. Thought I may as well ask though. Hopefully it won’t be too much of an issue. Thanks very much for the help!
It won't. As you said, it happens all the time, far a variety of reasons. If they ask, then explain the situation. But, the general rule of thumb is to not call attention to negatives.

I would not push it. You do not want a reluctant or ticked off L.O.R. writer.

Reactions: 1 user
You may not know what's going on with your reference, but it probably has nothing to do with you. It can be innocuous as your email hitting the spam folder. It could be serious (the reference is in the hospital). Tread professionally and carefully, but you don't need to pressure the reference.

You may not know what's going on with your reference, but it probably has nothing to do with you. It can be innocuous as your email hitting the spam folder. It could be serious (the reference is in the hospital). Tread professionally and carefully, but you don't need to pressure the reference.
I agree. I'll try to reach out once more, but then I'll let it rest. No point in procrastinating longer and no need to force it. Thanks very much for the advice.