Offering to a letter writer to write a letter for them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majorlazer4196

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who recently matriculated into a med school told me to propose to a writer to let me write a working draft for their letter for them to edit and modify to send their letter over to Interfolio. I have a good working relationship with this letter writer and he says it might be a good and fair thing to bring up because the letter writer is a busy person and writing a working draft can help save them a lot of time if they're supportive about the idea.

What's the ethicality of doing this? Is this a fair suggestion to bring up to a letter writer if they're are busy?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine who recently matriculated into a med school told me to propose to a writer to let me write a working draft for their letter for them to edit and modify to send their letter over to Interfolio. I have a good working relationship with this letter writer and he says it might be a good and fair thing to bring up because the letter writer is a busy person and writing a working draft can help save them a lot of time if they're supportive about the idea.

What's the ethicality of doing this? Is this a fair suggestion to bring up to a letter writer if they're are busy?
No. And make sure your friend doesn't use a chatbot to write the letter either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people suggest this but I never thought it was appropriate. I would keep bringing up the letter with your writer until they get it in. I think it will also make for a stronger letter instead of the one what you would write for yourself.

It's actually quite common for students to write their own rec letters (per request of the instructor/mentor), though I don't think it would be appropriate for you to bring up the suggestion.

Reactions: 1 user
If the final version is done by the actual letter-writer and they are the one to suggest it, it is ok.

Reactions: 1 users
If the final version is done by the actual letter-writer and they are the one to suggest it, it is ok.
So I guess the safest thing to do in this situation is to avoid influencing my letter writer towards letting me write the letter unless she also has the same idea and brings it up out of her own free will?

Reactions: 1 user