***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mid30premed said:
Does anyone have a PCP they recommend for the physical...obviously will need to get me in quick and take UHC PPO insurance. It'd also be a plus if their office was somewhere between campus and Surprise. Finally...one-stop shopping with capabilities to do the blood work would be great!
Why don't you try the Fam Medicine clinic at the school? Dr Middleton is great with students, and you can probably get a last-minute appt because the clinic has a student sick-call procedure. Not sure if they take your particular insurance though. And they draw blood there, as well.

Members don't see this ad.

okayplayer said:
Hey,

If anyone is around and bored, let me know. I am moved in to San Prado and I just dropped my girlfriend off at the airport to go home (she helped me move in). I don't know anyone yet!!

Jake

Jake come out to Old Chicago and Rhythm room on Friday and saturday.

I'll be out there by Wed night. Leaving at 5am tomorrow morning from IL. 1800 miles baby...2 days driving...woohoo...

Hey guys, I'm currently looking to buy a stethoscope. I know that some 2nd year students like the Littman brand, but what model of the Littman do you guys recommend? I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
seacow2001 said:
Hey guys, I'm currently looking to buy a stethoscope. I know that some 2nd year students like the Littman brand, but what model of the Littman do you guys recommend? I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks

The Littman Cardiology III is the scope to get from what I've been told. I've also been advised to wait until orientation week because we will be able to get 50% off at the bookstore.

azcomRob said:
The Littman Cardiology III is the scope to get from what I've been told. I've also been advised to wait until orientation week because we will be able to get 50% off at the bookstore.

Sweet! I was given the Littman Cardio III as a going away gift from my work.

Fri, August 18th 6:00pm - Old Chicago (Dinner) www.oldchicago.com 5695 W. Bell Road, Glendale
siriceman64
caliri23

Sat, August 19th 8:30pm - The Rhythm Room "Sistah Blue" $6 (Blues and BBQ) www.rhythmroom.com, 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix
siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

Tues, August 22nd 7:00pm - Buffalo Wild Wings (Wing Night) www.buffalowildwings.com, 7000 E. Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix
siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit
hought30
DOHawkeye
Baylorguy03

New list of words to describe the fast approaching med school:
Holy Cow! (siriceman64)
CHUPACABRA!! (goinverted)
Traigalo! (v3rbal)
Netterlicious (DOHawkeye)[/QUOTE]

okayplayer said:
Hey,

If anyone is around and bored, let me know. I am moved in to San Prado and I just dropped my girlfriend off at the airport to go home (she helped me move in). I don't know anyone yet!!

Jake

Jake,

I have been in your shoes since the 9th. On the downside, my stuff has been in limbo with the movers. So, I have been hanging out in an empty apartment and been have sleeping on the floor. I have been using the computers at school to entertain myself. Yeah, time is moving really slow but I know things are going to be hectic soon. Give me a call, if you want to hang out. My number is (646)319-5814.

John

johnjames said:
Jake,

I have been in your shoes since the 9th. On the downside, my stuff has been in limbo with the movers. So, I have been hanging out in an empty apartment and been have sleeping on the floor. I have been using the computers at school to entertain myself. Yeah, time is moving really slow but I know things are going to be hectic soon. Give me a call, if you want to hang out. My number is (646)319-5814.

John

I just got into Glendale from Chicago. Living in an empty house (67th and Union Hill). Figured I should start posting on sdn to meet people before school starts. I'll get a hold of you tomorrow afternoon we can figure something out. My number is (847)846-8364.

Well...AZCOM student meeting session #1 down...I'm here to say that it went great and this is going to be great.

Everybody come to Old Chicago tomorrow night. WEAR RED or ORANGE if you can...so we don't have the awkward..."Are you going to AZCOM?" ...after 10 mins of standing right next to each other...

If you're a slacker and don't wear orange or red...just look for the people wearing orange or red...

If anybody's wanting to carpool or meet up with the group, give me a call. I'll be at all of them. 217-417-2657 Nick

Just moved down a week ago to get ready for school. I am married and have 2 kids. It was hard finding affordable housing for my family. We ended up renting a place in Tresa at Arrowhead. We are loving it. It is far cheaper than anything else we could find and really nice with a pool and fitness room. We have a 2 bdrm and it is 1100 square feet and we pay $850 a month. It is also in a really good location not too far from the school. Just thought I would let anyone know in case someone is still looking for housing.

Hey guys, this is Luis Vazquez, the MSII activities coordinator. If you want to go chill with us second years, keep the saturday after orientation (26th) open. Bunch of us are gonna meet at MWU east parking lot (the one next to the cafeteria) at 9pm. If you don't have a car, just bring your cell phone(in case you get separated) and bum a ride off one of us (especially if its your big bro!). We are going to be going to E4 in scottsdale and try to take it over like we did at the end of our school year a few months ago. Its gonna be great so see you there!

Tell as many people as you possibly can in your class! Come orientation, most MSIIs will know about the outing so you can ask your big bro/sis (mass emails get you in trouble in MWU so I only emailed those who i thought would be interested). If your big bro/sis isnt going and you don't know many people come sat, call me up. 602-690-3882.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, we will be getting to Surprise about 9:30 a.m. on this Tuesday from Utah. Finally we will get down there. If anyone is free that morning we would love some help unloading. Just give me a call if you want to come sweat off 20-30lbs before orientation! :laugh:

Cory
435-764-1899

Fri, August 18th 6:00pm - Old Chicago (Dinner) www.oldchicago.com 5695 W. Bell Road, Glendale
siriceman64
caliri23

Sat, August 19th 8:30pm - The Rhythm Room "Sistah Blue" $6 (Blues and BBQ) www.rhythmroom.com, 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

Tues, August 22nd 7:00pm - Buffalo Wild Wings (Wing Night) www.buffalowildwings.com, 7000 E. Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix
siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit
hought30
DOHawkeye
Baylorguy03

New list of words to describe the fast approaching med school:
Holy Cow! (siriceman64)
CHUPACABRA!! (goinverted)
Traigalo! (v3rbal)
Netterlicious (DOHawkeye)[/QUOTE]

Boy it's amazing how fast time flys. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

What are the guys planning on wearing tomorrow?

I have lived here 21 years, and I know that casual is casual (my big sis confirmed that style on campus runs the gamut); and it's hot to be wearing a shirt and tie...but...I am thinking that, at least for tomorrow, a shirt / tie and suit pants are what I need to wear (class composite and school ID photos).

After that I am thinking shorts and t-shirts, scrubs and jeans (when it cools off).

Any MSII's have any advice on this topic?

PS...I ended up seeing Dr Jeffrey Morgan, DO...5757 W Thunderbird, although the clinic on campus is a terrific idea.

mid30premed said:
What are the guys planning on wearing tomorrow?

I have lived here 21 years, and I know that casual is casual (my big sis confirmed that style on campus runs the gamut); and it's hot to be wearing a shirt and tie...but...I am thinking that, at least for tomorrow, a shirt / tie and suit pants are what I need to wear (class composite and school ID photos).

After that I am thinking shorts and t-shirts, scrubs and jeans (when it cools off).

Any MSII's have any advice on this topic?

PS...I ended up seeing Dr Jeffrey Morgan, DO...5757 W Thunderbird, although the clinic on campus is a terrific idea.

I would stick with casual attire. If you must, wear khakis and a polo. I wouldn't, however, wear something so casual that it's torn or otherwise inappropiate. Overall, our campus is extremely casual... why not go with the flow?

And I'm glad you found a doc nearby.

Cyndi

Its going to be at martiny ranch instead of E4. They are literally right next to each other though so its no big. It turns out E4 is having its 1 year party and their wait is expected to be like 2 hours... so yea... martiny ranch it is! So to recap... 5-9pm free food with SOMA on campus, 9-? Martiny ranch.

goinverted said:
How was everyone's borientation??

so far it's been wicked fantastic. I just can't believe that they're dragging it out for 3 days. I mean, c'mon...I'm not a freshman in high school anymore. Let's just let the med students figure out the specifics, and just teach 'em the basic gist of the services provided on-campus. But it's a nice way to get used to being in a lecture hall again. A year away from the routine is way too much.

Besides that, it's been supertabulous to meet so many people. I know that we're all gonna rock the SOMA party on Saturday, and that afterwards they're goin clubbin, but is anything on tap for Thursday or Friday? I ditched out on the festivities and ice cream today...way too hashed for any of that. I actually took a nap! Is that ridiculous or what?! Gotta get it out of my system before classes start.

Can an MSII maybe chime in and tell us whether it is really essential to get the new edition of Wheater and Sadler/Langman? Because there is a big price difference between new and used online for an old edition.

goinverted said:
How was everyone's borientation??
only 3 days? We had 4. Kill me please. Good luck to everyone...you too inverted. 2 weeks into it already and I'm starting to walk funny.
Remember your boy in IOWA. We need to get a game of H2 in before you start getting pwned next week. PM me and we'll get it on.

so far it's been wicked fantastic. I just can't believe that they're dragging it out for 3 days. I mean, c'mon...I'm not a freshman in high school anymore. Let's just let the med students figure out the specifics, and just teach 'em the basic gist of the services provided on-campus. But it's a nice way to get used to being in a lecture hall again. A year away from the routine is way too much.

Besides that, it's been supertabulous to meet so many people. I know that we're all gonna rock the SOMA party on Saturday, and that afterwards they're goin clubbin, but is anything on tap for Thursday or Friday? I ditched out on the festivities and ice cream today...way too hashed for any of that. I actually took a nap! Is that ridiculous or what?! Gotta get it out of my system before classes start.

When is this so-called SOMA party?? Maybe I should've stayed for more of the orientation instead of trying to get my house in order.:laugh:

Hey to all of you Surprisiens, we should talk about maybe carpooling or at least have a bar-b-que or something.

I believe the SOMA BBQ is from 5-9 today at the Ramada

Nick

Sweet, has to be the first time that I have studied on Labor Day, not to mention it will probably be all day today. :scared:

Hi there, I just accepted to AZCOM for c/o 2011. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all classes are mandatory there. I understand that I should go to all the classes but it would be nice to have a flexible class schedule for individual studying purposes. Thanks!

Not all the classes are mandatory. Attendance is taken for Gross Lab, Biochemistry workshop, and OMM. In fact, only about 1/2 the class shows up to most lectures (depending on what exam we have the following Monday).

Hey! I have just been accepted to AZCOM for the class of 2011. I am wondering if anyone is living on campus or if there are some major disadvantages to think about before making that decision. I feel it would help me to meet more people.

Thanks!

Hey! I have just been accepted to AZCOM for the class of 2011. I am wondering if anyone is living on campus or if there are some major disadvantages to think about before making that decision. I feel it would help me to meet more people.

Thanks!

Congrats on being accepted. I don't live on campus, but I have several friends that do and seem to like it. The on campus apartments are more affordable than some of the other places in the area and include all utilities which can get fairly expensive (my electric bill has been over $100 every month since I've lived here). It's also nice to be so close to class and not waste time commuting. I live in San Lagos Apts. across the street and am pretty happy. It's nice to get away from campus since we spend a lot of time there in class, labs, library, etc. Anyway, hope that helps some.

Thank for the Congrats! I am excited. There is a lot more sunshine out there than there is here in NYC, that is for sure!

I thought that someone mentioned we can get free immunizations somewhere out there. Also, wondering what students think about the health care insurance that AZCOM offers. Anyone know?

Thank for the Congrats! I am excited. There is a lot more sunshine out there than there is here in NYC, that is for sure!

I thought that someone mentioned we can get free immunizations somewhere out there. Also, wondering what students think about the health care insurance that AZCOM offers. Anyone know?

Hey congrats again. Although the immunizations aren't free, they are covered by your financial aid which basically means that you'll be able to take out a little more loan money to cover them. I didn't get mine drawn until after the first quarter last year during fall break. They'll send you e-mails telling you to get your titres drawn, but you can ignore them until fall break when you actually have time to get them done. Enjoy the rest of your year before you start and feel free to PM me anytime with questions.

Hey congrats again. Although the immunizations aren't free, they are covered by your financial aid which basically means that you'll be able to take out a little more loan money to cover them. I didn't get mine drawn until after the first quarter last year during fall break. They'll send you e-mails telling you to get your titres drawn, but you can ignore them until fall break when you actually have time to get them done. Enjoy the rest of your year before you start and feel free to PM me anytime with questions.

Beware, the clinical education department gets mighty "bitchy" if you don't have your immunizations done (they are not known to be the nicest group of people on campus). Of course your first two years don't matter that much, but the sooner you get them done, the better!

How's everything at AZCOM these days?
Feel free to send me a PM.

How's everything at AZCOM these days?
Feel free to send me a PM.

Hey Jason, how is intern year going? I can't believe we are almost done and on to 2nd year--YIKES! Where are you again and what are you doing? I hope all is well!

Matt (class of 2007) :luck: