AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone konw of any cheap places to stay for the night?? I am going on a tour on Thursday morning and am staying the night somewhere Wed night, me and a fellow pre med friend. So far, hotels have been pretty pricey.

The last time I was in Arizona, I stayed at the Motel Western Holiday in Holbrook. I don't know where the hell that is, but I was driving out to California, and my piece of **** car that I had in college died in the middle of nowhere. I got it towed to Holbrook, which was the closest town, and I diagnosed the problem as a blown head gasket. This problem would cost more to repair than the car was worth. For all I know, the car is still there in Holbrook. I finished my trip on the greyhound.

Anyway, the Western Holiday was a nice place. The window in the front of the room was broken, but it had been repaired with masking tape. I like that kind of attention to detail, and I would recommend it to anybody who might be out that way.

Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone konw of any cheap places to stay for the night?? I am going on a tour on Thursday morning and am staying the night somewhere Wed night, me and a fellow pre med friend. So far, hotels have been pretty pricey.

I would imagine they're pricey right by the school--have you seen the adjacent area?! My guess is that you'll need to stay a little farther from the school in order to find a decent price. Just a few exits south on the highway should do it, I believe.

Man, a blown head gasket is a pain in the arse to fix. Not "hard" just a long process.

Anyone hear anything from azcom so far?

Am I the only one hoping that AZCOM will make me submit the same stupid CV that CCOM just made me create? At least then I can disperse the blame a little bit.

haha, I am. Fortunately I made a CV for my committee letter and it is almost exactly what CCOM wanted, so that was nice. Hopefully this secondary comes soon!

Am I the only one hoping that AZCOM will make me submit the same stupid CV that CCOM just made me create? At least then I can disperse the blame a little bit.

Luckily, my previous life involved a highly updated resume, which I also distributed for all recommendation letters with my personal statement.

It was not a big deal with me.

i used the same CV and essay. just changed all the CCOM to AZCOM haha

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you receive the AZCOM secondary. What is emailed or snail mail?

i received it before ccom i believe but i forgot when, possible october. hang in there guys, it's still way way way early in the application process. and yes, the secondary was exactly the same for both schools. but the schools are different so u might want to have a basic outline for your essay question but adjust it to tailor to the differences. for example, for CCOM, i wrote about their reputation in chicago and azcom i wrote about the many programs they have. ultimately i declined azcom because i got ccom. good luck guys!

There is a ramada hotel not far from the school that gives an MWU discount. Last year it cost around 60 for my interview stay.
Posted via Mobile Device

And just as a warning, it is supposed to be 110 on Thursday...
Posted via Mobile Device

And just as a warning, it is supposed to be 110 on Thursday...
Posted via Mobile Device

haha. thats why when i asked for an afternoon tour the lady said "um....you are crazy. we dont do tours in the afternoon b/c you will melt." We are going at 9am...so itll be what 95 degrees instead of 110?

At least it is a dryer heat. I'm stuck in the 3rd sweatiest city in the US..not a joke either. I walk outside and the heat and humidity just cling to my body.

Yeah you will be in the 90's still, and dry or not, you still sweat like crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am gonna wear a tank top and big straw hat. i hope no one judges me. haha.

Yea, but the fact is it isn't like undergrad. I walk probably 3-4 miles a day outside where I am now. If accepted there, I highly doubt I'm going to be spending nearly the same amount of time outdoors. I have a wicked sandal tan just from walking outside all day.

Got my secondary yesterday..... and I submitted same day. Just had to swap out some CCOM for AZCOM. Wish all secondaries were this easy.

Got my secondary yesterday..... and I submitted same day. Just had to swap out some CCOM for AZCOM. Wish all secondaries were this easy.

haha....I did the exact same thing....I hope that even though its a branch campus they can't see that all I did was replace CCOM for AZCOM

Hmmh, my online status says "complete" but I haven't even submitted my LOR yet.Is that a typo or are those who finished their online application considered complete regardless??

My secondary says the same thing...I just sent out LORs today after noticing that they want it separately. Then again, not having internet for a week hurts too :(

On that note, all I did was resend the same LORs from AACOMAS. Is that what we need to do?

Last edited:
Do you just fly into phoenix? I'm trying to figure out transportation.

Do you just fly into phoenix? I'm trying to figure out transportation.

Probably cheapest that way. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to this D.O. app process so if another thread already exists out there addressing this same question I apologize in advance.

But for anyone who has visited or researched both schools (AZCOM vs. AT Still - Mesa), which one do you prefer and why? And in terms of tuition are they about the same or does anyone know if one is sig. cheaper, etc.?

For D.O. programs I am only considering staying in-state here in Arizona for personal and financial reasons, so any advice regarding these two schools are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to this D.O. app process so if another thread already exists out there addressing this same question I apologize in advance.

But for anyone who has visited or researched both schools (AZCOM vs. AT Still - Mesa), which one do you prefer and why? And in terms of tuition are they about the same or does anyone know if one is sig. cheaper, etc.?

For D.O. programs I am only considering staying in-state here in Arizona for personal and financial reasons, so any advice regarding these two schools are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Start with the CIB and the websites. They have some big differences. ATSU-Mesa = SOMA. Soma is more about underserved and primary care. That's just the beginning. Read the catalogs too.

Thank you, Chocolate Bear. I can already see the huge differences beginning with the class sizes alone. I suppose living in Phx it would be worthwhile to schedule a campus tour/visit with ATSU altho seeing no graduating class (with scores, residency matches, etc.) does make me a little nervous.

Thank you, Chocolate Bear. I can already see the huge differences beginning with the class sizes alone. I suppose living in Phx it would be worthwhile to schedule a campus tour/visit with ATSU altho seeing no graduating class (with scores, residency matches, etc.) does make me a little nervous.

Yeah definitely take a tour if possible. Glendale isn't far away either (AZCOM).

And take scores/match lists/etc with a grain of salt.

I've yet to see a school that doesn't report a decent number for pass rate. I guess you can make judgements based on whether they report "pass rate" or "first time pass rate."

Match lists can be biased toward the clinical exposure of a school. I'm guessing SOMA would match more rural/underserved/primary, but I could be way off. This is exactly why it would be hard to make certain assumptions based on this data.

Last edited:
I feel like AZCOM is much more of the traditional medical school, whereas ATSU-Soma is really really really focused on primary care and a different style of teaching.

I chose against applying to SOMA because I'm not THAT interested in primary care, and something just didn't click with me.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

If you want to stay in AZ for all four years you have a much better chance doing so at AZCOM. SOMA has, I think, 10 CHCs around the country which you go to for all but your first year. There are two or three in AZ but you aren't guaranteed to get your #1 choice. Not saying you shouldn't apply but it's something to think about.

If I got an interview here last year and was waitlisted, what do you think my chances are at getting an interview again this year and getting in? I just submitted my secondary and am officially complete as of August 23rd.

EEL08,

I see you are at AZCOM. That is wonderful because I am currently enrolled in the biomed sci master's program!! Thanks for the great advice but yes I will definitely look into at least scheduling to campus visit/tour at ATSU.

If I got an interview here last year and was waitlisted, what do you think my chances are at getting an interview again this year and getting in? I just submitted my secondary and am officially complete as of August 23rd.

I know I am by no means an admissions expert and this is in the D.O. forum but I know that for my state MD school they have a 50% chance acceptance rate for their re-applicants and according to the dean of admissions re-applicants (especially if wait-listed the first time) are looked at VERY favorably, granted you didn't completely just party and slack off during that extra year.

Good luck and I hope you get in this time :D

I know I am by no means an admissions expert and this is in the D.O. forum but I know that for my state MD school they have a 50% chance acceptance rate for their re-applicants and according to the dean of admissions re-applicants (especially if wait-listed the first time) are looked at VERY favorably, granted you didn't completely just party and slack off during that extra year.

Good luck and I hope you get in this time :D

Thanks a lot. That eases my mind a little bit!

Interview at AZCOM coming up on 09/19! Anyone else interviewing around that time?

Excited :D!!!

so I completed my CCOM supplementary...would it be ok to submit the same essays for AZCOM????

Just as an aside, the parking here really sucks. If you arrive any later than 9:30 AM you are forced to park in the street. The security guard guy is also kind of rude, and tries to re-direct everyone to a back parking lot like 987624567 miles away (exaggerating here, but you get the point). I guess he's just doing his job, but I seriously almost missed class this morning because of him and his crappy directions.

Just as an aside, the parking here really sucks. If you arrive any later than 9:30 AM you are forced to park in the street. The security guard guy is also kind of rude, and tries to re-direct everyone to a back parking lot like 987624567 miles away (exaggerating here, but you get the point). I guess he's just doing his job, but I seriously almost missed class this morning because of him and his crappy directions.

So you're a student? Do you know anything about the student run clinic there?

So you're a student? Do you know anything about the student run clinic there?

Not at AZCOM, but Midwestern University (same campus) for a graduate program. I can only anticipate the parking situation getting worse with the extension of a brand new optometry, physical therapist, and pharmacy school all starting next year unless they expand the parking lot somehow. Don't know much about the student run clinic, but the student body govt at AZCOM is really helpful as they've helped me find a D.O. to shadow and everyone here is really friendly, students and faculty included. :thumbup:

Not at AZCOM, but Midwestern University (same campus) for a graduate program. I can only anticipate the parking situation getting worse with the extension of a brand new optometry, physical therapist, and pharmacy school all starting next year unless they expand the parking lot somehow. Don't know much about the student run clinic, but the student body govt at AZCOM is really helpful as they've helped me find a D.O. to shadow and everyone here is really friendly, students and faculty included. :thumbup:

Is housing close at all? Anything in walking/biking distance? Just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.