AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, hopefully someone who got accepted can help me and a few other former MA people out. I'm getting my physical tomorrow for AZCOM's requirements but since we graduated from the MA program, I can't seem to access the regular student page on online.midwestern.edu

If someone who got accepted and was not from the MA program could please go to online.midwestern.edu and in the Student Services tab, download and upload the PDFs for the Immunization and Physical exam here, I would be eternally grateful :)

Here you go. I am uploading both of the pdf files on the 'Forms and Information' section related to medical history (though I'm not uploading the Vehicle Registration form as I assume that's not needed at this time).

I also copied and pasted a bunch of other health-related verbage posted on the site that relate to medical history into a Word document. You might not need this information at your appointment, but I figure it was better to have it ahead of time - rather than have to go back to the doctor for having missed some test that was required.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• immunization_form_az.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 308
  • medical_history_az.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Summary of Medical Requirements and Procedures.doc
    58.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Ah, thank you so much for the quick response. I was afraid I'd show up empty handed tomorrow.

Yep, as far as I know, we only need the first two forms you posted, but thanks for the 3rd one. I plan to get my titers at the school so the Immunization form is just for normal shots.

Ah, thank you so much for the quick response. I was afraid I'd show up empty handed tomorrow.

Yep, as far as I know, we only need the first two forms you posted, but thanks for the 3rd one. I plan to get my titers at the school so the Immunization form is just for normal shots.

Did you get a physical for the MA program? Some of us were thinking we might not have to do another one (and I'm really hoping that is the case as I'm currently uninsured)

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem, Flushot. Glad to assist. Are you set on being an AZCOM student this year, or is there still a possibility of you getting an acceptance at TCOM? I am wondering if you are the person I am thinking of. I interviewed at AZCOM on the same day as Renny, and think I may have met you then during lunch.

Did you get a physical for the MA program? Some of us were thinking we might not have to do another one (and I'm really hoping that is the case as I'm currently uninsured)

I did everything for the MA program and I'm really just covering my bases with this one. They're so backed up right now with paperwork, so I don't think it'll be a problem. When you get there and get insurance, you can just do it then I guess.

They didn't hassle me or anything. I'm just doing this on my own.

No problem, Flushot. Glad to assist. Are you set on being an AZCOM student this year, or is there still a possibility of you getting an acceptance at TCOM? I am wondering if you are the person I am thinking of. I interviewed at AZCOM on the same day as Renny, and think I may have met you then during lunch.

I pretty much assumed I was going to AZCOM since I got waitlisted at TCOM. Their waitlist is a true waitlist; there's nothing you can do to improve your standing on it. That said, if they call me at the last minute, I would probably go. I'll probably help Renny out until she can find a replacement for me.

But, yeah, nothing from TCOM. There's not much time left so there's not much to go off of now. I didn't expect much so no worries.

Last edited:
ahhh 16 days until i move out to AZ for school! i'm so excited :)

has anyone looked into buying books early of ebay or amazon.com? I was thinking about doing this with my credit card and then paying off the balance once i received my $$.

How about the school's health insurance plan? I've read in the medical student forums that it's not that great but i believe we can drop it after 1 quarter if we have comparable private coverage.

ahhh 16 days until i move out to AZ for school! i'm so excited :)

has anyone looked into buying books early of ebay or amazon.com? I was thinking about doing this with my credit card and then paying off the balance once i received my $$.

How about the school's health insurance plan? I've read in the medical student forums that it's not that great but i believe we can drop it after 1 quarter if we have comparable private coverage.

You can start the process on waiving the health insurance now on the Student Services >> Health Insurance. If you have anything comparable to their plan, I wouldn't pay for any of it at any time.

Also, don't worry about the 30 day thing. I just started today and called them about getting everything in on time and they said not to worry about it. Just get your insurance info to them ASAP.

Hi all, I heard from Jose today that the new apartments are not yet ready, and they don't know if they will all be done in time for move-in. The old apartments are clearly not an issue, and one building of the new apartments may be ready in time, but not all of them. I wonder where they are going to keep the students who don't have a place to live... I happen to fall in that category. Jose said they'll be meeting on Monday to discuss this, and he will let us know (for those who this is applicable to).

I am wondering if they might to try to put all the DO students into the 'ready-to-go' older apartments, and try to move around the other health students (PA, CRNA, etc) into the newer buildings since their programs don't start until late August. Just speculating.

Also, disregard that housing letter that states that move in is August 22nd. That was just a generic letter sent out to all Midwestern students in campus housing and is not applicable to DO students (whose move-in date is Saturday, August 1st).

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't know about the new apartments not being ready, but wouldn't that be a breach of contract if they relocated DO students who were promised the new complexes and give those to the other programs? They might argue that they're essentially the 'same' but I'd fight for what I was offered and signed for.

Well, I wouldn't know about the new apartments not being ready, but wouldn't that be a breach of contract if they relocated DO students who were promised the new complexes and give those to the other programs? They might argue that they're essentially the 'same' but I'd fight for what I was offered and signed for.

On the housing notice that was recently sent to us it says that the housing office has some flexibility to shift the apartments as they see fit (I don't have the exact wording of the letter, as it arrived at my parents' address, and my father read me the letter over the phone). So I think they've already braced themselves for the possibility of re-assigning apartments of the same type to students by putting the disclaimer out there. I'm not suggesting this is what they will do; just speculating on what seems reasonable under the present circumstances of them not finishing the apartments on time. Either that, or they'd probably have to put up students in a hotel for a month or so until the work is finished - but I don't know why they would do that when it would just be simpler to give the DO students the ready-to-go apartments of the same type they were assigned to since we start August 4th, which would give them a few more weeks to complete the new apartments for other health-profession students who don't start classes until the end of August. Logistically that would just make more sense than trying to find hotels for the rest of us. I wonder if DO students who are adamant about getting a new apartment might still have the option to do so... and they might still have that option to live in a new apartment (albeit not necessarily the unit they were assigned to) since 1 of the new apartment buildings is expected to be complete on time. I personally would rather move into whatever was ready (especially if it is the same type of apartment I signed for) rather than having to live somewhere off campus for a month.

Anyway, we'll find out next week what they plan on doing after their meeting.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any discussion in this thread so I thought I'd ask. I know there's ~3-4weeks vacation in May/June after MS2&3, but what does the "average" MS1-MS2 student do during the 3 month summer between MS1 and MS2?

I couldn't find any discussion in this thread so I thought I'd ask. I know there's ~3-4weeks vacation in May/June after MS2&3, but what does the "average" MS1-MS2 student do during the 3 month summer between MS1 and MS2?

Great question, I was wondering the same thing...

Since you won't get any loan money while you aren't in school, you can do research for cash either as a fellowship or work study. This is what many of us who are married end up doing to pay the bills.

A lot of people just take trips.

Not really sure which approach you'd call average. I'd say it is pretty evenly split between those two options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Losing hope slowly....it's totally draining me and driving me crazy

has any one heard anything from admissions office?

Did you also need to take a Grad Plus loan or will the stafford cover the whole COA?
I didn't because I have other sources to help pay for the whole cost. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans at their maximum amount do pay for pretty much the whole cost of the tuition though.

Losing hope slowly....it's totally draining me and driving me crazy

has any one heard anything from admissions office?

:( I'm really sorry... I know how agonizing it is to be waiting on an acceptance and feeling the loss of hope. I truly hope something comes through for you. Unlike the MD schools who had the May 15th deadline for students to be holding only one acceptance, the DO schools don't have a deadline - so I wonder if it is possible DO students might still be holding onto multiple acceptances, and might still be dropping them once a school is decided upon.

hello everyone. to make a long story short, i took the wrong route and now i feel stuck. I had taken 3 years to get all prereqs done for pharm school, got accepted and will begin in the fall. guess what i found out...not what i want to go into. i mean, its a great field, but idk if its right for me. i have wanted to go into D.O. school for a long time, and when i came to midwestern cpg for my pharm school interview, i fell in love with the place and knew i wanted to go there, just not for pharm. so i accepted my pharm school offer at my state university, and now am prepared to do whatever it take to get into D.O. school in glendale. I currently have a 3.82 gpa at my state university with all my prereqs for midwestern done, except no Bach degree...its necessary to have that isn't it? i didn't know if anyone here had been accepted without one??? i am taking my mcat in august, and have been voluteering at a hospital for the last 1 1/2 years. i plan on continuing my pharmacy school as well as pursuing the D.O. thing, because lets face it, i need a job as something. what would everyone recommend doing? Should i find an easy major and try and take summer classes until i can graduate with a degree in something...or would my pharm school classes tranfer towards a degree in anything...or should i give up...ahhh lost :(

IowaGal09,

Unlike pharmacy school, you will need a bachelor's degree to matriculate at a medical school (unless, you went through one of those rare B.S./MD programs). If you will be graduating May 2010, you can apply to medical school this cycle and start fall of 2010. However, if you will be graduating after fall 2010, then you will not qualify to matriculate at a medical school. On the bright side, you have an excellent GPA which will definitely come in handy when you apply to medical school.

Also, I don't think that you can matriculate in a pharm program and a DO program simultaneously, if that's what you're asking. However, if you want to get your PharmD and pursue the DO afterwards, that's fair game. I just don't know how that will affect your financial aid for medical school.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just finish up an easy bachelor's degree (ie. Bio), kill the MCAT, and apply to medical school. That is IF you truly do not feel that the pharm path is right for you and that you will be happier going the med route.

hello everyone. to make a long story short, i took the wrong route and now i feel stuck. I had taken 3 years to get all prereqs done for pharm school, got accepted and will begin in the fall. guess what i found out...not what i want to go into. i mean, its a great field, but idk if its right for me. i have wanted to go into D.O. school for a long time, and when i came to midwestern cpg for my pharm school interview, i fell in love with the place and knew i wanted to go there, just not for pharm. so i accepted my pharm school offer at my state university, and now am prepared to do whatever it take to get into D.O. school in glendale. I currently have a 3.82 gpa at my state university with all my prereqs for midwestern done, except no Bach degree...its necessary to have that isn't it? i didn't know if anyone here had been accepted without one??? i am taking my mcat in august, and have been voluteering at a hospital for the last 1 1/2 years. i plan on continuing my pharmacy school as well as pursuing the D.O. thing, because lets face it, i need a job as something. what would everyone recommend doing? Should i find an easy major and try and take summer classes until i can graduate with a degree in something...or would my pharm school classes tranfer towards a degree in anything...or should i give up...ahhh lost :(

Funny thing as my gf is about to graduate from MWU-CCP this august (AGO track) and keep bringing up how she wants to attend medical school and how that has always been her calling. She is undecided as of right now but we'll see if she enrolls later on..

Anyways, not all medical schools require a bachelors degree, e.g. Rush Medical College, though 99% of all medical students who do matriculate into medical HAVE a BS degree. I'm not sure how your chances would be at MWU-Glendale for D.O. b/c if they see that you interviewed there or matriculated into a pharm program then they might question your motives on being indecisive. It's different if you finish the program and THEN apply to D.O. school which will show that you stuck it out and maybe wanted to add an extra degree.

I can't really tell you how it will pan out unless you go through the whole process but from what I know and just a gut feeling is that your against the odds (if you drop pharm after one year)...sorry. Good luck:luck:

If I were in your shoes, I'd just finish up an easy bachelor's degree (ie. Bio), kill the MCAT, and apply to medical school. That is IF you truly do not feel that the pharm path is right for you and that you will be happier going the med route.

Agreed. The first step is to figure out what it is that you want to do. If you really want to go into medicine, then drop the pharmacy acceptance and spend a year or so (or however long it takes) to complete your degree and apply for medical school. It doesn't make any sense to start pharmacy school if you know you want to go to med school instead... so first be sure if that you really don't want to be a pharmacist. If so, drop it and put all your focus on med school. However, read up all you can about pharmacy school and med school, so that you are sure you aren't just having cold feet at the idea of starting pharm school. You don't want to drop your acceptance and regret it later, so first figure out if your doubts are merely fear, or if you genuinely don't want to do this.

Hello AZCOM Class of 2013,

From the Student Government Association and the Class of 2012, we welcome and congratulate you all! I had been working with Denton Shanks to get the website up, but I decided since the time was coming up soon, I decided to take it upon myself to put it up. I would like you all to have some time to register on it and become familiar with it.

Please go register immediately at www.azcom2013.com and register with your azwebmail.midwestern.edu email address. After registering and logging into the website you will see a link to the Forums on the front page. This will get you to the center of your communication portal and the place where all the magic happens.

Please hop on there as soon as possible as my Class (AZCOM Class of 2012) has found this type of communication to be an amazing resource! We will close user registration midway through this quarter so that it can be locked down.

Mansoor Jatoi, OMS-II
AZCOM Student Government President

--
www.azcom2013.com has a list of important links that may help you gather information in your first year. Listed below:

-AZCOM Blackboard
-AZWebMail
-AZCOM Directory
-MWU-AZ Calendar
-2009-2010 Academic Calendar
-AZCOM Block Schedule

I also posted the list of first year items (books / equimnt) that Sarah Crowley, OMS-II kindly posted on facebook groups onto the website as well. Thanks to Sarah for putting this together.

I just got the call! I'm so ecstatic, it's so crazy! I can't wait to start, can't wait to meet everyone.

AZCOM Class of 2013!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just got the call! I'm so ecstatic, it's so crazy! I can't wait to start, can't wait to meet everyone.

Congrats, that is crazy! Can't wait to meet u :)

Congratulations! After waiting this whole cycle for an answer, I can only imagine this acceptance feels VERY good! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.