AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think the may 15 issue applies only to allopathic schools. i think after may 15, they can only hang on to 1 acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the Perkins/Stafford/Plus loan offerings hit our award pages at different times? I applied for everything but so far have only been awarded the Stafford loans and let me tell you, I don't have the cash to make up the difference between the awarded $44.5k and the ECA $82k. I plan on calling the financial aid office but because of my work schedule won't be able to for at least another week so any help here on SDN is greatly appreciated.

I am in the one year master of arts in biomedical sciences program at the Midwestern University Glendale campus. After I got my letter informing me I was placed on the alternate list today, I went in to admissions to see if they were willing to let us know exactly how many people were on the alternate list. The helpful lady at admissions looked it up and said as of today, May 13th, there are 174 people on the alternate list for AZCOM. Like the alternate list letter said, the alternate list is not ranked and people can be accepted all the way up to the first day of class in August. I hope this clears up some confusion. Good luck to everyone else on the alternate list, hopefully I will see you in August.

:eek:

Guess I'll write my final letter of interest and cross fingers

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the Perkins/Stafford/Plus loan offerings hit our award pages at different times? I applied for everything but so far have only been awarded the Stafford loans and let me tell you, I don't have the cash to make up the difference between the awarded $44.5k and the ECA $82k. I plan on calling the financial aid office but because of my work schedule won't be able to for at least another week so any help here on SDN is greatly appreciated.

All the loans should have been dispursed at the same time, so if you requested to receive the full amount (or partial amount) in PLUS loans then you need to check up with them right away to see what happened. Perkins Loans (this is what my financial aid advisor told me) are available only on a first come first serve basis to a couple students in each department each year. Basically all your loan paperwork needed to have been finished by end of January to even have a chance is what she said.

All the loans should have been dispursed at the same time, so if you requested to receive the full amount (or partial amount) in PLUS loans then you need to check up with them right away to see what happened. Perkins Loans (this is what my financial aid advisor told me) are available only on a first come first serve basis to a couple students in each department each year. Basically all your loan paperwork needed to have been finished by end of January to even have a chance is what she said.

Aww. Ok, no perkins :( next year, then.

there is no "usual" number, one year we took everyone, other years 20-30 max, hard to say, maybe 30-40% but again really hard to predict...

What kind of a deal do MWU students get at LA Fitness? Also, are there other discounts available (i.e. Verizon Wireless)?

What kind of a deal do MWU students get at LA Fitness? Also, are there other discounts available (i.e. Verizon Wireless)?

I think it's something like $30 a month with the mwu "discount", I can't say for sure because I joined before moving out here and I pay $25. You can try to bargain with them, some of my friends didn't have to pay an initiation fee, some didn't. Its convenient because it has 2 gyms one on 55th and Bell and another on 83rd and Union Hills. However, my other friend goes to Gold's and haggled them down to $15 a month. It's a bit further from campus compared to LA fitness but definitely worth looking into.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance to AZCOM today. Good luck to those on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's something like $30 a month with the mwu "discount", I can't say for sure because I joined before moving out here and I pay $25. You can try to bargain with them, some of my friends didn't have to pay an initiation fee, some didn't. Its convenient because it has 2 gyms one on 55th and Bell and another on 83rd and Union Hills. However, my other friend goes to Gold's and haggled them down to $15 a month. It's a bit further from campus compared to LA fitness but definitely worth looking into.

yeah this is what LA fitness (which is huge and really nice) told me this past weekend as i was in phoenix apartment hunting...i also stopped in at the foothills recreation and aquatic center which is pretty much right behind mwu. apparently midwestern has a corporate membership so for students you contact midwestern and pay only $175 a year ~$14-15 a month

this will work great for me as i will be mostly using the pool and some weightlifting (there are pretty nice machines and some freeweights but unfortunately are lacking quite a bit) as most of my workouts involve a bike or running shoes...there are some classes included in membership if that interests you but they certainly won't stack up to LA fitness or gold's gym

i also stopped in at the foothills recreation and aquatic center which is pretty much right behind mwu. apparently midwestern has a corporate membership so for students you contact midwestern and pay only $175 a year ~$14-15 a month

this will work great for me as i will be mostly using the pool and some weightlifting (there are pretty nice machines and some freeweights but unfortunately are lacking quite a bit) as most of my workouts involve a bike or running shoes...there are some classes included in membership if that interests you but they certainly won't stack up to LA fitness or gold's gym

What did you think was lacking at the foothills? I need somewhere that I can do free-weights/machines and some cardio at somewhere that is bigger than the facilities provided at the on-campus gym. I don't care about any classes or anything like that. Do you think its worth the money? Thanks

What did you think was lacking at the foothills? I need somewhere that I can do free-weights/machines and some cardio at somewhere that is bigger than the facilities provided at the on-campus gym. I don't care about any classes or anything like that. Do you think its worth the money? Thanks

plenty of cardio machines and the standard weight machines...free weights were basically a stack of dumbbells in the corner and i didn't see any benches or squat racks they will be happy to give you a tour but that's all i can remember there is also a track that takes 14 laps to run a mile ie approx 115 meters

for me, it's definitely worth $175 just for the year-round lap swimming and i will probably use the other facilities as well

Hey Waitlisters,
I got a phone call about my acceptance and they said I have until May 27 to pay my deposit. So hopefully that day will have more waitlist movement. My husband is looking for jobs in Phoenix, but if he doesn't find anything I will be giving up my spot and going to Western. Good luck to everyone!!!

Hey Waitlisters,
I got a phone call about my acceptance and they said I have until May 27 to pay my deposit. So hopefully that day will have more waitlist movement. My husband is looking for jobs in Phoenix, but if he doesn't find anything I will be giving up my spot and going to Western. Good luck to everyone!!!

Thanks for the info!

Hey guys

My girlfriend and I will be in Glendale this Friday and Saturday. I was accepted to AZCOM earlier this year and put down my deposit, but I wanted to fly out there and take 1 more look to make sure it is where I want to attend this August (I also have a deposit down elsewhere).

Anyhow, I was hoping any current AZCOM students would be willing to meet up for a drink/lunch/dinner...whatever, so that we could pick your brain about the school. We're paying for drinks if that sweetens the deal....

Anyhow, if anyone is interested and available anytime Thursday or Friday, PM me and we can figure something out.

Does anyone know what the discount code is for Enterprise Car Rental that Midwestern offers?

Hey guys

My girlfriend and I will be in Glendale this Friday and Saturday. I was accepted to AZCOM earlier this year and put down my deposit, but I wanted to fly out there and take 1 more look to make sure it is where I want to attend this August (I also have a deposit down elsewhere).

Anyhow, I was hoping any current AZCOM students would be willing to meet up for a drink/lunch/dinner...whatever, so that we could pick your brain about the school. We're paying for drinks if that sweetens the deal....

Anyhow, if anyone is interested and available anytime Thursday or Friday, PM me and we can figure something out.

Not sure if you meant Saturday too, because that would be your best bet, our last final is tomorrow so many of us will be... out of commission after that.

Not sure if you meant Saturday too, because that would be your best bet, our last final is tomorrow so many of us will be... out of commission after that.

Yes, we will actually be here in Glendale today (Friday) and Saturday. Anyone who is interested in getting together, feel free to PM me. Good luck on exams!!!

does anyone know when we will be emailed about the rotation site that will be given?

Can anyone comment on the quality of the LA rotation sites that AZCOM offers?

I listed LA as my top choice and was given this rotation region, but I was hoping that any current AZCOM students could shed some light on the overall quality of the LA rotations. Do people seem happy with this region when it comes to rotations? Thanks.

I listed LA as my top choice and was given this rotation region, but I was hoping that any current AZCOM students could shed some light on the overall quality of the LA rotations. Do people seem happy with this region when it comes to rotations? Thanks.

Hey, when did you submit your choice & how soon did you hear back? i'm from LA and just did last week, so i'm eager to get LA and come home for my rotations.

Hey, when did you submit your choice & how soon did you hear back? i'm from LA and just did last week, so i'm eager to get LA and come home for my rotations.

I honestly dont recall. I believe I submitted my request a few weeks after acceptance and was notified that I got my first choice (LA) about a week later.

As stated previously by Flushot and myself, unfortunately not many (if any) 3rd and 4th year students stop by this section of SDN anymore so only us inexperienced/word-of-mouth-only MS1s and MS2s can offer any kind of insight. While we were debating which regions to choose, we had the luxury of talking to regional liaisons; the general consensus for every region was that people, overall, were happy with their rotations. Given the fact that every California spot (LA and Turlock/Modesto) was taken in the first round of picking sites (and not all by Californians) I'm guessing nobody else heard anything to make them steer clear of those regions.

Just getting ready to give up my seat in favor of my state school across the city from me. Good luck to those who are accepted and those waiting to hear.

Yeah that's always good to see. Especially knowing there are probably more who aren't posting it on SDN. Hope to see you in Glendale this fall :luck:

Yeah man, hope to see you there.

I think I read somewhere that it was after June 1st that the waitlist starts moving? I hope it gets moving soon.

Last edited:
I just officially gave up my place in the class. AZCOM is an awesome school and I hope that my spot goes to one of you. Best of Luck to all.

Yeah man, hope to see you there.

I think I read somewhere that it was after June 1st that the waitlist starts moving? I hope it gets moving soon.

I haven't seen more posts of people giving up seats than in the AZCOM thread which is good. I believe somebody said AZCOM has a 5/27 deadline for deposits so maybe that's why.

I haven't seen more posts of people giving up seats than in the AZCOM thread which is good. I believe somebody said AZCOM has a 5/27 deadline for deposits so maybe that's why.

I've heard that there was a little movement in the middle of the week after the admissions committee met, and supposedly there should continue to be small amounts of movement each week as more spots open up. GOOD LUCK!!!

Are any fellow waitlisters filling out applications for next cycle already?

I'm waitlisted at two schools (not accepted yet), so I figured I might as well send off a couple applications to get verified with AMCAS/AACOMAS for next year if it's needed. It's kind of tricky not knowing when and to what extent AZCOM will get through the waitlist.

I've heard that there was a little movement in the middle of the week after the admissions committee met, and supposedly there should continue to be small amounts of movement each week as more spots open up. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks!

Are any fellow waitlisters filling out applications for next cycle already?

I'm waitlisted at two schools (not accepted yet), so I figured I might as well send off a couple applications to get verified with AMCAS/AACOMAS for next year if it's needed. It's kind of tricky not knowing when and to what extent AZCOM will get through the waitlist.

I'm filling out TMDSAS and debating whether to fill out AACOMAS or not. Are you using same LoRs or getting new ones? I think I'm gonna use old ones and change up my personal statement.

I'm filling out TMDSAS and debating whether to fill out AACOMAS or not. Are you using same LoRs or getting new ones? I think I'm gonna use old ones and change up my personal statement.

I was filling out the TMDSAS until I read somewhere that 90% of seats at North Texas were reserved for Texas residents only :(. I'm a GA resident, although maybe I have a shot?

I'm gonna use the same LORs from last year too. I'll change a few sentences in my personal statement but that's it. I figure if it worked this year (got two interviews), then it will work again. The thing about re-applying is that something should improve about your application. For me, that is mostly timing. I applied really late this year because of late MCAT and trouble gathering LOR's.

Last edited:
Do we need to send in our Medical History Questionnaire/Immunnization/Lab Record or can we just bring it to orientation our self?

Edit: Also, how does Hepatitis B Antibody work in term of deadlines? It seems we need three doses with 1month/4-5months apart.

Last edited:
I was filling out the TMDSAS until I read somewhere that 90% of seats at North Texas were reserved for Texas residents only :(. I'm a GA resident, although maybe I have a shot?

I'm gonna use the same LORs from last year too. I'll change a few sentences in my personal statement but that's it. I figure if it worked this year (got two interviews), then it will work again. The thing about re-applying is that something should improve about your application. For me, that is mostly timing. I applied really late this year because of late MCAT and trouble gathering LOR's.

I guess it depends on how many OOS apps they get. I think they tend to be pretty strong applicants since there are so few seats.

Yeah I didn't submit TMDSAS until mid July (which is late for Texas) and mid November for AACOMAS. I'm not sure about reapplying to AZCOM again already though since I'm on the waitlist and have been updating them on everything. Would reapplying now while being on the waitlist hurt my chances there this fall? I guess they are slim anyway with so many on it.

Do we need to send in our Medical History Questionnaire/Immunnization/Lab Record or can we just bring it to orientation our self?

Edit: Also, how does Hepatitis B Antibody work in term of deadlines? It seems we need three doses with 1month/4-5months apart.

i'm not sure about the medical history questionnaire and that stuff, but for the hep b, i called them since my titers came up negative. i'm undergoing the immunization again and they said as long as the immunizations are in progress, we should be ok.

I guess it depends on how many OOS apps they get. I think they tend to be pretty strong applicants since there are so few seats.

Yeah I didn't submit TMDSAS until mid July (which is late for Texas) and mid November for AACOMAS. I'm not sure about reapplying to AZCOM again already though since I'm on the waitlist and have been updating them on everything. Would reapplying now while being on the waitlist hurt my chances there this fall? I guess they are slim anyway with so many on it.

Reapplying now wouldn't hurt you. I don't think I personally will re-apply to AZCOM if it comes down to it. I finished my apps around the same time you did - AACOMAS in mid November, secondaries finished in December/January. My application will be the same for them next year because of the updates, same with SOMA. I figure they have enough information in my application and they had their chance to accept me.

I have a whole new list of schools this year - CCOM at Midwestern, Lake Erie, Western, West Virginia, ATSU - Kirksville, Touro (Nevada), Georgia MD schools.

Reapplying now wouldn't hurt you. I don't think I personally will re-apply to AZCOM if it comes down to it. I finished my apps around the same time you did - AACOMAS in mid November, secondaries finished in December/January. My application will be the same for them next year because of the updates, same with SOMA. I figure they have enough information in my application and they had their chance to accept me.

I have a whole new list of schools this year - CCOM at Midwestern, Lake Erie, Western, West Virginia, ATSU - Kirksville, Touro (Nevada), Georgia MD schools.

I wouldn't guess that. Each year is different and it could've been a bad time. If you're willing to give CCOM a chance, I think you should give AZCOM another run too. Just my suggestion.

Also, if you're also considering LECOM (I'm guessing the main campus), consider LECOM-B and Nova while you're in the area. Anyhow, best of luck to you.

Personally, I don't think it would hurt one bit... if anything it would show the admins that you are committed to being a doctor, and you're interested in matriculating at their school. Also, I'm a firm believer that the earlier you apply, the better.

Good Luck! :luck:

__

AZCOM Class of 2015:soexcited:

Last edited:
I found this on the Midwestern Facebook page, is it true?

"Due to overwhelming support from the student-body of the Glendale AZ campus, The Honey Badger has been named the unofficial mascot of Midwestern Univ-Glendale."

If so, that is awesome!

As far as I know, nope, that's just been somebody having fun with Wikipedia edits. Somebody from our school also made A.T. Still a Facebook profile.