AZCOM rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KDocGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to do rotations outside of AZ for AZCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Savvy,

This is the deal. If you want to do rotations outside of Arizona then you have to set it up yourself. Almost all med schools are like this. What does it mean to set it up yourself? This means you will have to contact doctors or hospitals on your own and ask them if they will allow you to rotate through with them. You need to do all the work. There are many major teaching hosptitals throughout the United States that will definitely allow to do rotations as long as you apply early. AZCOM also allows you to rotate in private practice as well. That's an added benefit. It takes more work on your part, but many students end up doing at least one rotation out of state although majority do stay in state.

Does it have to be under DO instructors or can they be MD? Can you think of an example where someone has done all 2 years in some other city?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either MD or DO. It doesn't matter. Many students do spend their two years within a general location. Remember, your fourth year, you are shopping around for various residency programs and trying to impress people with your efforts. Staying in one city and focusing all your efforts on just one residency program may not cut it. It would be like applying to just one medical school.

For anyone in their third or fourth year rotations at AZCOM, are the rotations like they said they are with a preceptor? Are most of them outpatient or in a hospital? If most are outpatient then do you feel you have missed out on anything? Are most of the rotations (3rd year) in downtown phoenix (how far do you have to drive normally)? Also (sorry for the many questions) do feel they prepared you overall for your choice of residency? Thanks-

Hi kirk002,

Please check my response in this section under "Accepted to AZCOM 2006". I have posted under other topics in the Osteopathic section as well. I am a fourth year and I am more than ready, so are my classmates. Good luck.

I was going to copy and paste my answers to your questions (kirk 002), but the replies are long, check under the Osteopathic section "DOCARE @ AZCOM" and "Is Anyone going to AZCOM" further details. :cool: :cool: :cool: