AZCOM students/grads - rotation question regarding Cali and Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffxp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current AZCOM students!!
Are there any significant difference between Arizona and California (San Diego and LA)'s rotation sites?
If I want to specialize is it better to select rotations sites at Arizona?
On the email they sent to accepted students they mention that some specific rotation may be missing in California.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't post the full detail as it'll be easy to identify me as a student...
Long story short, I would recommend to avoid California rotation spots, and go for the West and East Valley/Chicago/Tucson rotation sites.
Despite what you might hear, none of the rotation sites offer a "full ward" experience, but some do have more ward time than others. The Chicago/Tucson sites will require less traveling as you are mostly based off a single hospital, but requires you to move after your first 2 years. This could potentially be a problem as I know some students had to come back to AZ to do a rural, but it's rare.

I can't post the full detail as it'll be easy to identify me as a student...
Long story short, I would recommend to avoid California rotation spots, and go for the West and East Valley/Chicago/Tucson rotation sites.
Despite what you might hear, none of the rotation sites offer a "full ward" experience, but some do have more ward time than others. The Chicago/Tucson sites will require less traveling as you are mostly based off a single hospital, but requires you to move after your first 2 years. This could potentially be a problem as I know some students had to come back to AZ to do a rural, but it's rare.

What do you mean they aren't full ward experiences? What are the negatives you have heard from the CA spots?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For current AZCOM students!!
Are there any significant difference between Arizona and California (San Diego and LA)'s rotation sites?
If I want to specialize is it better to select rotations sites at Arizona?
On the email they sent to accepted students they mention that some specific rotation may be missing in California.
I can't tell you major differences between cali/az rotations, but I'll throw my 2 cents in for specialty choice. Where you do your 3rd year rotations will have zero effect on your ability to snag a specialty. It's more of a boards/rec letter game.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean they aren't full ward experiences? What are the negatives you have heard from the CA spots?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
it means you'll be spending a portion of your rotation in office/outpatient settings (now this portion depends on your region of rotation and how much work you put into planning out your rotations with the school).
As for California, I personally do not know what's so bad about it, but all I see is a bunch of people trying to get out of those spots and nobody is willing to trade with them, they must've known something?

I can't tell you major differences between cali/az rotations, but I'll throw my 2 cents in for specialty choice. Where you do your 3rd year rotations will have zero effect on your ability to snag a specialty. It's more of a boards/rec letter game.
This, the chair did tell me that the closer you are to your school, the more likely they'll know you better, and if requested, the chair of department can write up a better letter of recommendation for you.

This, the chair did tell me that the closer you are to your school, the more likely they'll know you better, and if requested, the chair of department can write up a better letter of recommendation for you.
Hey Jinx, I was just wondering, during 3rd year rotations AFAIK there is not much med.students can do, basically it all boils down to "advanced shadowing", so how do one get a good letter of recommendation? Is it more like don't do anything crazy and you got a letter or you really need to jump over your head to get a good letter? Do one even need to collect letters during 3rd year? Thanks

Hey Jinx, I was just wondering, during 3rd year rotations AFAIK there is not much med.students can do, basically it all boils down to "advanced shadowing", so how do one get a good letter of recommendation? Is it more like don't do anything crazy and you got a letter or you really need to jump over your head to get a good letter? Do one even need to collect letters during 3rd year? Thanks
From what I hear the chair comes down to lecture for us from times to times, I guess impress him while he's there, reach out to him a lot (basically makes sure he knows you as a person and not as a name) and as you said, don't do anything crazy 0.0? I don't think you absolutely NEED his letter, but if I apply to internal medicine, a great letter from the chair of internal medicine from your school certainly may sound better than a random internal med doctor?