B/B Bluprint FL1 Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elloL

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems to have been an error in interpretation, but the question is " Injection of insulin into the bloodstream is LEAST likely to result in which of the following? " and I chose "decreased gluconeogenesis." I chose this because the function of insulin is to lower blood sugar; therefore, gluconeogenesis would be needed to raise the blood sugar after a person has been injected, so it being decreased is least likely to happen. However, the necessary interpretation seems to be that the insulin is injected because of high blood sugar. The correct answer is " Decreased lipid synthesis." Am I wrong for assuming that this question is needlessly ambiguous in its questioning? Like, should I interpret all hormone questions by assuming the hormone is being injected/secreted in response to a physiological extremity?

Members don't see this ad.

This seems to have been an error in interpretation, but the question is " Injection of insulin into the bloodstream is LEAST likely to result in which of the following? " and I chose "decreased gluconeogenesis." I chose this because the function of insulin is to lower blood sugar; therefore, gluconeogenesis would be needed to raise the blood sugar after a person has been injected, so it being decreased is least likely to happen. However, the necessary interpretation seems to be that the insulin is injected because of high blood sugar. The correct answer is " Decreased lipid synthesis." Am I wrong for assuming that this question is needlessly ambiguous in its questioning? Like, should I interpret all hormone questions by assuming the hormone is being injected/secreted in response to a physiological extremity?
One of the mechanisms by which insulin lowers blood sugar is by decreasing gluconeogenesis. I think you jumped right into the homeostatic response that would be caused by the insulin-induced decrease in blood sugar rather than the more immediate response of insulin action. But based on the phrasing of the question, I don't think your answer is wrong. When you get ambiguous questions like this for biochemistry, I think the best way to know that you are interpreting the question correctly is to compare the answers. There are usually three answers associated with one direction of a pathway and one answer associated with the opposite direction. The answer is the one that doesn't fit with the others. For example, if the answers are increased glycolysis, increased glycogen production, increased lipid synthesis, and increased gluconeogenesis, you know that increased gluconeogenesis is the right answer because it occurs during fasting while the other three occur after eating.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user