B- in biology - cant get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadinex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think Im getting a B- in biology and I am so scared.
Freshman by the way...
I do not know how it came to this but im am literally on the path to a B-
This happened last semester with this bio teacher she gave me a B and I dropped from a 4.0 to a 3.7
this semester though i think shes going to give me a B- and I dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably start looking into becoming a nurse.

ummm...study harder. That is all I can tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ratemyprofessor.com is an excellent resource into not getting real trashy profs.......you should look into it.

I like this thread.

On a side note, I thought OP was doing a SMP? I assumed this thread wasn't srs.

All joking aside you need to step back and realize you did not do as well as you should have and examine your reasons for wanting to become a physician. If after some deep introspection you still have the desire to go to medical school you need to come back in the fall and just do what you have to do to get 4.0 from here on out. You don't have much of an excuse for bio because it is really just reading the book and spitting the information back. I can understand some people don't understand Calculus III but Gen Bio -- no excuses. Good luck,

All joking aside you need to step back and realize you did not do as well as you should have and examine your reasons for wanting to become a physician. If after some deep introspection you still have the desire to go to medical school you need to come back in the fall and just do what you have to do to get 4.0 from here on out. You don't have much of an excuse for bio because it is really just reading the book and spitting the information back. I can understand some people don't understand Calculus III but Gen Bio -- no excuses. Good luck,

Did someone get a B in calc III? ;)

In other news, I might get a B on Calc 1, ( no +/- grading). Am I dead?

only a click away...

That website is worthless. Most people only post there to complain about bad grades they earned.

Really, the best way to use it is to look for things like "exam questions come from notes" etc.

That website is worthless. Most people only post there to complain about bad grades they earned.

Really, the best way to use it is to look for things like "exam questions come from notes" etc.

It is not worthless if you want to learn the material effectively. You can't deny that many professors are weird, pompous and hinder their students' grades. This is where the website comes in handy. When I took dual credit courses, this was a goldmine. I had personable, wonderful professors who had really easy grading.....From teher, I simulated rigors of my own by mastering the topics listed in the syllabi and studied 3hrs (per course) a night.

Nation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed.

I don't choose my professors based on the site, but I always go on to see what people have written about the ones that I do choose. Every single time it's even a moderately difficult course, all of the reviews are just people complaining about how bad the professor is. Then I get to the class and the prof isn't bad at all.

thats the thing, its not just spitting back information, this class requires a lot of abstract reasoning, her questions are all abstract ...its not pure memorization even though its an intro course...
and im not going to become a nurse....i want to become a physician. i have As in all my other classes its just this one. and its biology..which is what sucks

Hmm...a lot of naysayers here.

I got a B- in Intro Bio freshman year, ended up honoring my biology major and I'm happily matriculating at a med school this fall.

Freshman year of college is a lot about learning to study efficiently and perfecting your time management skills. Figure what works for you and what doesn't, do well in a couple of upper level biology courses and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
OP, perhaps you should have been hitting the books instead of them "wha' girls".

OP, a B- in Biology won't hinder you going to Medical School, if you grasp the concept well enough to rock the MCAT, you'll be fine.

Don't worry about it OP. I got C's in calc, bio and Spanish, and a B- in physics, and I still got in. If you do the work from here, you will too.

Reactions: 1 user
Freshman by the way...
This happened last semester with this bio teacher she gave me a B and I dropped from a 4.0 to a 3.7
this semester though i think shes going to give me a B- and I dont know what to do.

She isn't giving you anything. You are earning a B-.

What to do is develop better study skills or spend more time studying.

I did quite poorly in both intro to biology courses when I was a freshman (well, all my classes, mostly). Learn what you did wrong, correct it, and do better in your upper division courses. With good grades in other courses (especially bio), it shouldn't matter too much when you apply.

Freshman by the way...

I got a B in Human Physiology...and I got accepted, so I doubt you have to worry about anything.

B- in Biology = flipping burgers for the rest of your life.

you guys are right...a B- in biology is not a good thing and it probably does not show that you are dedicated but i just want to say that most of the class is at this level right now...and that i am a double major and a double minor I work on campus and during breaks I worked full time, i am also on the eboard of 3 different health related clubs and 1 non-health and I also volunteer at a hospital...this is just to make the point that I am NOT one of those people who party all the time.

you guys are right...a B- in biology is not a good thing and it probably does not show that you are dedicated but i just want to say that most of the class is at this level right now...and that i am a double major and a double minor I work on campus and during breaks I worked full time, i am also on the eboard of 3 different health related clubs and 1 non-health and I also volunteer at a hospital...this is just to make the point that I am NOT one of those people who party all the time.
I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that you simply partied all the time and didn't give any effort to the course. The bottom line is that a B- isn't a terrible grade, and provided you do well in further biology courses (as you should be aiming to anyway) this will not impact your chances at admission in any way.

If you take the time you devote to posting this crap, and use that time to study, you wouldn't have to be posting this crap.

Just sayin'.

This thread reminds me of this meme

sx.jpg

If you get a B, it's all over. Might as well start looking into optometry...

OP, the vast majority of the responses are people giving you a hard time because this question gets asked over and over and over again.

No, a B- will not kill you. Relax. Do your best from now on.

There's some pretty worthless advice above IMHO. "No excuses"? Chill out.

No one cares about gen bio if you have a smoking MCAT bio section, or if you rock a bunch of upper div science classes. Sure, learn from your mistakes, because for every mistake in early undergrad there's another way to compensate for it and strengthen your app later on. Now, if you're a music major or something and only took two science classes in undergrad and did mediocre in all of them, then I'd have no choice but to assume you are a mediocre science student. But an intro science class simply won't have any effect whatsoever on the impression your overall GPA, upper div performance, and MCAT scores make.

Gen Bio, by the way, is one of those weird classes that a lot of less-than-genius people tend to do really well in after having just gunned AP Bio. Same with G Chem. I remember being nervous about my future science prospects after getting a B+ in general bio only to find later that I destroyed classes like O. Chem and Mo Bio where the same people were struggling for some reason. Long story short - one grade means next to nothing.

Last edited:
OP Don't Worry! It may seem like 8/10 people on SDN have 4.0's but fact is theres normal people too. For all the *****s saying thats what OP is earning, that could definitely be true, but i really doubt someone who works this hard at everything else is a slacker. Ive found in general that science professors that teach freshman are just pricks that try to limit the number of A's and B's they give out. Example: Gen Chem 2, i scored A's on all 3 midterms and got a B on the final, somehow i end up with a B, i ask why and they tell me my lab grade wasn't spectacular. BS. I know how you feel.

OP just focus on doing well in upper division courses, thats what all of us in your boat are doing.

based on your description of your college career to date, you can still wind up with a 3.92 cGPA :idea:

Dammit no Burnett's Law reference in this thread....

for the record......this thread... i guess it was pointless because i got my grades in today and i did A LOT better than i thought.....and my gpa actually increased from last semester....
apparently a lot of kids failed the class started with 60 ended with 19
sorry guys but thanks for the awesome advice especially the kid that was really harsh =)