B+ in medicine, 4th year schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrShazam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance to those who contribute.

I got a B+ in medicine (at our school, no A-, so that's probably why, but in all fairness, it was my first rotation and I admittedly sucked). A's in peds, surg, FM, and neuro. If the stars align properly, most likely will have A's in the remainder two rotations as well, rounding out GPA to 3.89. Anyways, we are now making our fourth year schedule, and I was wondering what I should do in terms of Sub-I? My plan is to do one general medicine, and another in MICU (and hopefully ace those), but do you guys other suggestions of what to do to ameliorate that B+?

Members don't see this ad.

B+ sounds like an HP in most other systems which isn't the end of the world by any means. Do an IM SubI early (July/August) and a MICU rotation if you think you can rock it and get good LORs from those. Otherwise just press on.

I agree with gutonc, it's all about the LORs (after step scores of course).

I'm a carib US-IMG, but did well getting IM interviews at reach places (for caribs) this past cycle because I had killer LORs. I did a sub-I and another subspecialty elective at 2 places I had no chance of matching at, but ended up with 3 great letters from people with impressive titles.

I was told at more than a handful of interviews how my LORs separated my file from the pack.