B- in Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As the title says, I'm looking at a possible B- in orgo, but hopefully a B. Will this hurt my chances of getting into a med school? Especially top 30?

WeRunThis

Members don't see this ad.

What's your sGPA? It's very hard to answer your question based on the information you provided.

Yes. Aim for Caribbean.

Probably not, but who knows. Depends on the other factors of your application.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Aim for Caribbean.

Are you kidding? Don't fuel a false hope. He's done for. No med school will touch him with.

Just messing with you OP. If you aren't consistently getting B-'s and the rest of your app is good then a B- will not hold you back.

Kiss med school goodbye, OP.

After this semester I'm dropping to a 3.74 from a 3.82 but I think I can bring it back up to a 3.80 after next semester :/ but I'm worried because I've been told of how important organic chem is, and I always like taking personal responsibility, but my professor is quite the ass hole.

WeRunThis

I have a similar GPA, B- in orgo 2... have two med school acceptances so far. I know that n=1, but it should give you some encouragement.

In fact, one of my interviewers remarked that he only likes people who have gotten a B or below in one of their classes... makes them seem more human he said and it was a fun point of our conversation.

Don't worry, just do your best.

I have a similar GPA, B- in orgo 2... have two med school acceptances so far. I know that n=1, but it should give you some encouragement.

In fact, one of my interviewers remarked that he only likes people who have gotten a B or below in one of their classes... makes them seem more human he said and it was a fun point of our conversation.

Don't worry, just do your best.
Wow, that brought me so much closure. Thanks a ton, for share owing your own experience :) What was your MCAT btw?

WeRunThis

As the title says, I'm looking at a possible B- in orgo, but hopefully a B. Will this hurt my chances of getting into a med school? Especially top 30?

WeRunThis

I second Caribbean. Most successful pre-meds had A's in organic chemistry.

Wow, that brought me so much closure. Thanks a ton, for share owing your own experience :) What was your MCAT btw?

WeRunThis

No problem, man. Don't wanna give away too many of my details, but my MCAT > 30 and < 36. So I would say I'm a competitive applicant and mid-range schools.

I also had a B- in organic chemistry along with B letter grades in physics, genetics, and cell bio. Ended up with a 3.6 sGPA and have been accepted into med school.

I second Caribbean. Most successful pre-meds had A's in organic chemistry.
Are you serious or merely sarcastic? I'm sorry, I'm just quite neurotic about this issue, and am normally sarcastic myself haha

WeRunThis

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had a B- in organic chemistry along with B letter grades in physics, genetics, and cell bio. Ended up with a 3.6 sGPA and have been accepted into med school.
That's awesome man, MD or DO?

WeRunThis

Reactions: 1 user
Jesus bro, it's because of that 36!!! That's phenomenal man

WeRunThis

Are you serious or merely sarcastic? I'm sorry, I'm just quite neurotic about this issue, and am normally sarcastic myself haha

WeRunThis

Chill out, you will be fine. Don't let this attitude persist in med school though.

Good luck getting into DO schools man. 3.74 is for the Caribbean students.

Fahkkkk

WeRunThis
I hope you know I was joking. I got accepted to 2 different MD schools with a 3.68. It's more than just GPA. It's MCAT, ECs, shadowing, volunteering, and you doing what you wanna do.

I hope you know I was joking. I got accepted to 2 different MD schools with a 3.68. It's more than just GPA. It's MCAT, ECs, shadowing, volunteering, and you doing what you wanna do.
Yea haha, and that's sweet bro. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same :)

WeRunThis

WeRunThis

I am not the person you were referring to, but I got B-'s in both semesters of organic chemistry, along with multiple C's and W's in other science courses. My overall sGPA is a 3.3, and my MCAT is a 33. Just got accepted into a MD school, my top choice as well.

Also an ORM from California who is not disadvantaged and had minor red flags on my AMCAS. Make sure the other aspects of your app are strong, and you should be good!

Reactions: 5 users
Ive noticed a statistically different amount of neurotic threads in allopathic compared to osteopathic.

Reactions: 1 users
No problem, man. Don't wanna give away too many of my details, but my MCAT > 30 and < 36. So I would say I'm a competitive applicant and mid-range schools.

I am not the person you were referring to, but I got B-'s in both semesters of organic chemistry, along with multiple C's and W's in other science courses. My overall sGPA is a 3.3, and my MCAT is a 33. Just got accepted into a MD school, my top choice as well.

Also an ORM from California who is not disadvantaged and had minor red flags on my AMCAS. Make sure the other aspects of your app are strong, and you should be good!

What is an ORM and if you don't mind me asking where did you apply? Thanks much!!!

What is an ORM and if you don't mind me asking where did you apply? Thanks much!!!
ORM = over-represented in medicine (most often used to refer to Asian applicants).