"B" nightmare! Advice Needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, i am a pre pharmacy student who just became a junior and at this level i have a overall gpa of 3.45 . I really want to get into one of michigan school but my position is not very promising. I have no idea but when it come to science classes it seems like i can not get anything better than a B. Other classes i have A, as for the requirements i have A in most of the non science classes. How will this look, am i gonna have any chance? I know it depend on my PCAT score and other things but someone tell me how my grades look.

General Chemistry 1 B
General Chemistry 2 B+
Organic Chem B- (summer class)
Organic Chem 2 W (summer class) B (Winter)
General Biology 1 B
General Biology 2 B+
Pre Calculus A
Calculus 1 A-
Calculus 2 B+
Physics 1 B+
PHysicis 2 B+

Members don't see this ad.

u should be fine, I had an overall of 3.46 when I got in. My science GPA was a about a 3.6 or so and I also had an 87 PCAT. Just make sure you do alright on the PCAT and murder the interview to give yourself a great shot of getting in. Are you a Michigan resident?

That is tough, few A's but at least no C's. Your GPA is a bit low in the sciences it will be tough to get in with 3.1 or 3.2 or whatever that averages out to. The only advice I can give is what has been said around here before: pharmacy experience, great PCAT, and to do well in classes next year. Your other A's should help depending on if the school concentrates on pre-req GPA or overall GPA and what they consider pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
A year before I applied, my pharmCAS GPA would have looked like this.

Non-science GPA - 4.00 (I'm an econ major BTW, I have LOTS of non-science courses, so this wasn't just because of a couple of easy GE's)

Science GPA - 2.97 (mainly due to physics and calculus)

Then I worked really hard and brought my GPA up

Non-science GPA - 3.98 (A- in Communications)

Science GPA - 3.25

I know how you feel, its just SOO much work pushing a B in a science class to an A.

I'm not sure about your situation, but I found my science GPA was really low because of physics and calc (my big big weaknesses), even though they were only 3 quarter units or so they just required so much work for me to even just pass it really sucked the life out of me in my other courses, and I got B's in ochem. Once I got to upper division biology though (for my major), my science grades were pretty much all A's. You just have to really WANT it and work as if you dream depends on it. Thats the only advice I have to give sorry. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only person who had a hard time getting out of the "B" student rut.

I just found that I felt like I had to study twice as hard to get an A, than if I had just settled for a B. Its difficult but doable, I did it and trust me I'm not a naturally gifted science whiz. (ie You don't want to know my math and chem PCAT :thumbdown: )

u should be fine, I had an overall of 3.46 when I got in. My science GPA was a about a 3.6 or so and I also had an 87 PCAT. Just make sure you do alright on the PCAT and murder the interview to give yourself a great shot of getting in. Are you a Michigan resident?

Yes i am a Michigan Resident and in respond to the other guy my science GPA is 3.35 so i don't consider it very low, anyway thanks for your advice everyone.