Saturation sticky needed***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

King2440

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy is SATURATED. This is very helpful information for any potential candidates.

Can a mod add to this sticky or FAQS about the saturation crisis? It’s an old sticky that needs to be updated. Let’s help out theses pre pharmers that have done no research on job market.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think most of them are well aware but decide to go through with pharmacy school anyway. I remember asking a bunch of my peers in different courses what they thought about the saturation situation and they usually respond with, "yeah that makes me nervous. But I am hoping this works out for me."
Its almost like telling people the dangers of smoking cigarettes. Everyone is well aware but people still do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most of them are well aware but decide to go through with pharmacy school anyway. I remember asking a bunch of my peers in different courses what they thought about the saturation situation and they usually respond with, "yeah that makes me nervous. But I am hoping this works out for me."
Its almost like telling people the dangers of smoking cigarettes. Everyone is well aware but people still do it.
If I am a non-smoking prepharm, I rather take my chance with cigarette than going to pharmacy school. lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

At least you can still find a cigarette. Good luck with them finding a job.

• Haha
At least you can still find a cigarette. Good luck with them finding a job.
i was more referring to the chances of avoiding some sort of issue with your lungs. Like how people think those issues might not happen to them but it will even though people told you about it

Good luck with that. The mods will probably move this to the hidden job market forum.

Pharmacy is SATURATED. This is very helpful information for any potential candidates.

Can a mod add to this sticky or FAQS about the saturation crisis? It’s an old sticky that needs to be updated. Let’s help out theses pre pharmers that have done no research on job market.

I agree anything in the sticky / FAQs thread needs to be updated (@owlegrad / @Saisri_PharmStdnt ). I am currently doing the same thing in our Veterans' Benefits forum (my primary mod area-responsibility) but once I am finished over there I'll gladly update the information. Since the same few are so noble as to save our pre-pharms from just being one click away from seeing the Job Market sub-forum I'll gladly leave a re-direct to the site within our stickies thread ;)

Most of us don't want the hidden job market forum. Just let us talk about whatever we want know the main one.
Its not hidden and you aren't censored in that forum

Its not hidden and you aren't censored in that forum

The main forum is censored. Anything the mods don't want in there, they move to the hidden forum. This has been discussed extensively in the main forum. People wish they could post whatever they want in one forum like they've done for years.

The main forum is censored. Anything the mods don't want in there, they move to the hidden forum. This has been discussed extensively in the main forum. People wish they could post whatever they want in one forum like they've done for years.
Its not hidden, otherwise there would be no new posts there. It just sounds like you are upset because you can't shove your threads in front of everyone that visits this website anymore. I mean, if you really want to just go to reddit and post a thread about it there since anyone can post anything there.

Members don't see this ad :)
hidden forum...lol

actually if they agreed to make one sticky in this forum would you guys all stop posting your inane crap in every thread where people never even asked about the job market? I would be okay with that....

You mean as opposed to all the inane ****posting not related to the job market

Reactions: 1 users
You mean like the people asking legit questions only to get bombarded with "LOL PHARMACY SCHOOL REQUIRES 200k AND A PULSE!!!"

You mean that this is somehow a surprise

You mean like the people asking legit questions only to get bombarded with "LOL PHARMACY SCHOOL REQUIRES 200k AND A PULSE!!!"

They speak the truth.

That's true, but honestly people aren't asking the right questions or paying attention to what is going on.

I rather bombard them with don’t do it; it’s saturated; no jobs; $35/hr; you won’t find a job type responses lol. But that’s just me and it’s sad but it’s the truth.

I rather bombard them with don’t do it; it’s saturated; no jobs; $35/hr; you won’t find a job type responses lol. But that’s just me and it’s sad but it’s the truth.

I don't believe this $35/hr crap that you guys keep making up, it was $55, then $50, then $45, then $40, then $35 all in span of a few months on this forum. All of my P4 buddies got jobs, in Dallas, at $60+, a few got jobs in waco/lubbock/abilene too, same relative pay. The least you guys could do is report the truth. Show me one shred of evidence that someone is making $35/hr, I bet you cant. I make $25/hr as a tech, doubt anyone with a pharmd is making $35...

I don't believe this $35/hr crap that you guys keep making up, it was $55, then $50, then $45, then $40, then $35 all in span of a few months on this forum. All of my P4 buddies got jobs, in Dallas, at $60+, a few got jobs in waco/lubbock/abilene too, same relative pay. The least you guys could do is report the truth. Show me one shred of evidence that someone is making $35/hr, I bet you cant. I make $25/hr as a tech, doubt anyone with a pharmd is making $35...
My friend was just offered $45/hr from Pillpack and showed me the offer sheet. Go ahead and think otherwise and let's see what you're making when you graduate because it's not going to be what you think it is.

I’m in Dallas. Today it’s $50/hr and 48 hours guaranteed every 2 weeks. What do you think it will be in 4 years with 60,000 more pharm d’s in the market?

Here ya go

Attachments

• E07CA2F8-959E-466D-A489-B16CFD3E83D6.jpeg
    E07CA2F8-959E-466D-A489-B16CFD3E83D6.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 114

Only way to prove us wrong is to get your PharmD and we'll see who is right in a few years.

My friend was just offered $45/hr from Pillpack and showed me the offer sheet. Go ahead and think otherwise and let's see what you're making when you graduate because it's not going to be what you think it is.
I’m in Dallas. Today it’s $50/hr and 48 hours guaranteed every 2 weeks. What do you think it will be in 4 years with 60,000 more pharm d’s in the market?

Neither of those is proof.

Here ya go

Indeed is literally one of the most bot filled scummiest websites there is, no PIC in this country makes anything close to that.

Only way to prove us wrong is to get your PharmD and we'll see who is right in a few years.

Someone in some thread said pharmacy is a good profession to go into if your parents/friends are high up hospital admins or something to that tune, which is my situation. So yes, I will have a job.

Someone in some thread said pharmacy is a good profession to go into if your parents/friends are high up hospital admins or something to that tune, which is my situation. So yes, I will have a job.

That’s if they’re still in their position, don’t turn on you for any reason, or run into budget issues. A lot can change within a few years.

Proof of starting salary is hard to come by. The best survey I know of is by the University of Arkansas. In the 2018 survey: "Average salary for a pharmacist (excluding residency/fellowship) position is $109,620 ($56.09/hr); this is a 4.8% decrease from 2017 ($115,155)." What they didn't explicitly address was that only 60 of the 109 respondents were employed. If you exclude residencies, only 41 out of 109 were employed at time of survey. 49 were unemployed and so their $0 salary was excluded. (Thank you, UAMS, for posting what other colleges hide!)

Another reasonable source for salary info is state jobs, where the salary info is public. Here are two from New York state available at statejobs.ny.gov. The first is full-time with a range of $81,446 to $102,661. The second is per diem $39.01 to $ 49.17.

Lastly, H1B visa salaries are included on the applications and are are public information, available at myvisajobs.com and elsewhere.
Here's a snippet (high and low extremes).

Proof of starting salary is hard to come by. The best survey I know of is by the University of Arkansas. In the 2018 survey: "Average salary for a pharmacist (excluding residency/fellowship) position is $109,620 ($56.09/hr); this is a 4.8% decrease from 2017 ($115,155)." What they didn't explicitly address was that only 60 of the 109 respondents were employed. If you exclude residencies, only 41 out of 109 were employed at time of survey. 49 were unemployed and so their $0 salary was excluded. (Thank you, UAMS, for posting what other colleges hide!)

Another reasonable source for salary info is state jobs, where the salary info is public. Here are two from New York state available at statejobs.ny.gov. The first is full-time with a range of $81,446 to $102,661. The second is per diem $39.01 to $ 49.17.

View attachment 273845View attachment 273846

Lastly, H1B visa salaries are included on the applications and are are public information, available at myvisajobs.com and elsewhere.
Here's a snippet (high and low extremes).View attachment 273847
View attachment 273848
Honestly nothing is going to convince these prepharms and students until they find out for themselves lol

We may not be $35 yet, but I don't believe all your friends are getting $60+. My Dallas retail friends are generally telling me that 2018 grads got $5/hr *less* than 2012 grads, as well as only getting 32 hours / week.

Neither of those is proof.

Indeed is literally one of the most bot filled scummiest websites there is, no PIC in this country makes anything close to that.

Ok....even though this is what big box companies are hiring at, it is not proof?

And that “someone in some thread”’ must really know what’s going on to make you think your daddy can save you. Ha ha ha

Good Grief keyboard warriors....

I said I would update the FAQs and do an insert for job saturation with a re-direct link to the Job Market sub-forum. Give me a few days and it'll be done ( @bananaface did a great job with attention to detail that'll take me some time to update).

Go exercise or watch a funny movie on Netflix.

All of my P4 buddies got jobs, in Dallas, at $60+, a few got jobs in waco/lubbock/abilene too, same relative pay.

We can say "neither of those is proof" to your claim too. Can't have it both ways.

What if the hospital shuts down?

Good Grief keyboard warriors....

I said I would update the FAQs and do an insert for job saturation with a re-direct link to the Job Market sub-forum. Give me a few days and it'll be done ( @bananaface did a great job with attention to detail that'll take me some time to update).

Go exercise or watch a funny movie on Netflix.

Please don't redirect anything. We don't want anymore micromanagement than there already is here, thank you.

We can say "neither of those is proof" to your claim too. Can't have it both ways.

What if the hospital shuts down?

I'm not the one making stupid 35$/hr claims thus the burden of proof isn't on me.

Hospital wont be shutting down, its been here over 100 years and is one of the best hospitals, do all of you guys just imagine worst case scenarios for everything? Do you need to see a therapist for your anxiety issues or something?

We may not be $35 yet, but I don't believe all your friends are getting $60+. My Dallas retail friends are generally telling me that 2018 grads got $5/hr *less* than 2012 grads, as well as only getting 32 hours / week.

The point is were not anywhere close to $35 yet, so stop spreading your lies to try and scare people. Anyone who's done a small amount of research knows the job market isn't ideal, including myself when I applied. The only retail I know for sure to be paying lower and doing this 32/hr week crap is Walmart. One of my good buddies that just started his new job at a rather large clinic with many many locations started at 124k + 15-18% yearly bonus, has told me that ~40% of their pharmacists are scheduled to be retired in the next 5-7 years.

Ok....even though this is what big box companies are hiring at, it is not proof?

And that “someone in some thread”’ must really know what’s going on to make you think your daddy can save you. Ha ha ha

Okay pal, so...your "word" isn't proof, I don't know if you know that or not? also you claimed 35$ and immediately went back to $50 so you've already gone back on your word which to means you cant be trusted to tell the truth, so once again, PROOF?

You must be extremely naive to think that having friends/family in high places wont get you anywhere, experience, GPA, extracurriculars, all fall super short of your connections in every field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the one making stupid 35$/hr claims thus the burden of proof isn't on me dumb dumb.

Hospital wont be shutting down, its been here over 100 years and is one of the best hospitals, do all of you guys just imagine worst case scenarios for everything? Do you need to see a therapist for your anxiety issues or something?

The point is were not anywhere close to $35 yet, so stop spreading your lies to try and scare people. Anyone who's done a small amount of research knows the job market isn't ideal, including myself when I applied. The only retail I know for sure to be paying lower and doing this 32/hr week crap is Walmart. One of my good buddies that just started his new job at a rather large clinic with many many locations started at 124k + 15-18% yearly bonus, has told me that ~40% of their pharmacists are scheduled to be retired in the next 5-7 years.

Okay pal, so...your "word" isn't proof, I don't know if you know that or not? also you claimed 35$ and immediately went back to $50 so you've already gone back on your word which to means you cant be trusted to tell the truth, so once again, PROOF?

You must be extremely naive to think that having friends/family in high places wont get you anywhere, experience, GPA, extracurriculars, all fall super short of your connections in every field.

Walmart’s end goal is $35/hr or less for an rph. All retailers follow each other. Most companies do not give raises as it is. A few years ago folks could get 60-65$ an hour and now it’s doen to $50. We are as close to $35 as we are to what it started at.

Also, WM is not the only one with low starting wages. This again shows that you haven’t done your research.

And it’s not my word; it’s the salary of my new graduating rphs. Again, most people here don’t really care if you believe us or not. You can learn it the hard $200k way.

I’ll be sure to look out for a thread from you in 2-4 years entitled, “Help me, I can’t find a job!” Or “Pharmacy schools lied to me and said I would get a job!” Or “Who woulda thought the son of a daddy Supervisor wouldn’t be given a job?”

Anyways, I truly hope I am wrong and you get that glam job through your connection. Best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users

A Texas Tech or UNT grad? $60+ in Dallas eh? I want to say no, but youll probably throw a tantrum. Ill say it anyways, im calling BS on this one. Dallas-ft. Worth market, Texas in general, have been still the top market in the nation but if youre in the heat zone, you will not find too many openings, let alone $60+ jobs.

I offered my part time $54. He gladly took it. I aint paying no $60+ for a new grad that barely knows anything about running a pharmacy. Lol nice try though.

While i was looking for a pharmacist, i got applications from Florida, New York and South Dakota. Florida is apparently paying $35-$40. South Dakota pays $65-70 only bc i would think no one wants to go there. Alaska pays the best i think with $70+. Also, alaska gives you $1000-2000 per month to all its citizens haha.

Dear new grads and pre-pharms, please stop condescending and listen to what experienced experts such as myself is telling you. One day youll realized how wrong your baseless opinions were. That day may be too late. Peace.

Lol you say wut bruh??

This must be a troll lol

So youre relying on nepotism huh? Interesting... yeah sorry to burst your bubble but again, youre so wrong. Lol

Lets just say, hypothetically that you are the son of the CEO of a huge hospital. How is that going to help if there are no opened position nor the budget for the position? Now, somehow your awesome dad pulls some BS out of his butt to open a pharmacist position, hell have to go through the hiring committee who will be looking for the best candidate, meaning hundreds of people from all over the nation with specialized residencies, years of experience and management skills (btw i know this bc one of my mentors and a close friend is the director of the pharmacy at a major hospital), as opposed to you, who just barely graduated and cant even distinguish and recognize the current situation of your own profession.

Will the hospital jeopardize patient care and quality of service just so they could exercise nepotism of its worst kind? If so, this hospital got issues and i personally wouldnt want to work there. Just my two cents. Lol.

Last edited:
Get into pharmacy school primarily on having a pulse and $200k+ in student loans (or rich parents), then land a position primarily on nepotism and brown nosing. So this is why our profession is going downhill.

I'm not the one making stupid 35$/hr claims thus the burden of proof isn't on me dumb dumb.

Name calling and insults are not nice.

Your "word" about what your good buddy gets paid is not proof either, see how ridiculous that claim sounds?

Good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it with your nepotism.

lol. Getting all worked up about us saying that “all you need is a pulse and $200k+ in loans to get into pharmacy school” then using language that I haven’t heard since elementary school.

• Haha
lmao, although there is a lot of bickering going on here at least this thread is staying on top and the pre pharmers are getting insight from all of this

Update:

For the pre-pharmacy FAQs, it has been updated (pertaining solely on pharmacy programs and the application process).

I'm currently working on another thread to go along with it speaking specifically on career saturation ( statistic links and references on the job market ). I will put a hyperlink within said thread leading pre-pharms to the Job Market sub-forum for additional comments from our licensed pharmacists. This thread will be titled Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth It? I will direct this sticky with stats and numbers while covering the basics of student loans, inflation, career outlook, and salaries to date.

It'll take some time, but I'll give an update when it has been said and done.

Also: A side-note:

Intent to Inflame, insulting others by name-calling, or attempts of trolling will not be tolerated. This thread was built on the idea of updating the FAQs and including additional stickied-info for our pre-pharms. Keep the opinions professional, not childish-bickering. Continuation of such will force me to close the thread without giving others an update of our much needed pre-pharmacy stickied-threads.

I apologize for not replying sooner but I am a licensed pharmacist. My friend from pharmacy school is also a licensed pharmacist. She already has a pharmacist friend in Boston who’s only making $35 per hour. It’s real, folks. This isn’t speculation anymore.

Hospital jobs aren’t going to stick around for long either. There have been plenty of hospital closures within the last decade.

Last edited:
By the way, I know a pharmacist who earns $120/hr in ultra saturated Southern California.

Well, at least it was amusing to see a prepharm panicking by asking for proof left and right.
They really are in denial, and now I see it here clearly.

Reactions: 4 users
lmao, although there is a lot of bickering going on here at least this thread is staying on top and the pre pharmers are getting insight from all of this
I'm a pre-pharm just applying for early admission. SO - what do you suggest as an alternative? All the warnings are great but please offer suggestions then.