BA/MD and BS/MD programs - ability to choose a different med school?

mentalhypoxia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just registered, and I apologize if this question was already answered, but I didn't find this specific question:

I'm thinking of doing an 8 year combined program (I hear the 6-7 year programs are tough and you don't have a chance to explore undergrad as much) but my question is are there any programs that allow you to go to a different medical school other than the one that's part of the program?

For example, I know that with the USC program you are guaranteed a position at Keck, but you can apply elsewhere.

The major problem I've been having answering this question is that the AAMC lists the combined programs but the only way I've been able to find out programs in which you can transfer to a different medical school is through anecdotes. :bang:

So far I only know of USC/Keck and Rice/Baylor. Anyone know of any more? Or better, a list of such programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just registered, and I apologize if this question was already answered, but I didn't find this specific question:

I'm thinking of doing an 8 year combined program (I hear the 6-7 year programs are tough and you don't have a chance to explore undergrad as much) but my question is are there any programs that allow you to go to a different medical school other than the one that's part of the program?

For example, I know that with the USC program you are guaranteed a position at Keck, but you can apply elsewhere.

The major problem I've been having answering this question is that the AAMC lists the combined programs but the only way I've been able to find out programs in which you can transfer to a different medical school is through anecdotes. :bang:

So far I only know of USC/Keck and Rice/Baylor. Anyone know of any more? Or better, a list of such programs?

I haven't come across a list of programs where you can transfer out.

We've been compiling a list of BA/MD and BS/MD programs here but our info is still a bit limited.

My suggestion is that if you're interested in a specific program and want to know if you're allowed to apply elsewhere, contact the school and ask them specifically.

I'm not sure I know how they could stop you from going elsewhere? In an 8 year bacc/MD program you get an undergrad degree and then, assuming you met the criteria, you are guaranteed admissions to a med school that was linked to that program. I've never heard of a med school trying to stop someone from backing out of the med school part. Of course, you lose any "perks" and are starting from scratch, and you may need to explain in your application WHY you are doing this, but I'd be surprised if they can try to stop you. You have a degree, and you need to take the MCAT...that means you can apply elsewhere if you want. Certainly at our program, an occasional student goes elsewhere.

I'd be interested in hearing of a program that tried to stop this and how they did it - assuming that one gets a bacc degree before going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? I was under the impression that the program is binding. Otherwise, I don't see any point in why people would mention that some programs (such as the USC/Keck one) allow a person to apply elsewhere.

***did a little research***

My school has a program that offers admission to undergrad Juniors outside the traditional admissions track. It is binding and this is enforced as the students are required to submit an AMCAS application the year before they enter the MD program. (there's also a pretty hefty deposit)

I don't know what would happen if a student tried to break this agreement...

***did a little research***

My school has a program that offers admission to undergrad Juniors outside the traditional admissions track. It is binding and this is enforced as the students are required to submit an AMCAS application the year before they enter the MD program. (there's also a pretty hefty deposit)

I don't know what would happen if a student tried to break this agreement...

This sounds like the equivalent of a single applicant early decision program. What I'm talking about is someone making a high school student sign a statement binding them to only applying to one medical school even though they will have a bacc degree before matriculation. They can be mean, they can be unpleasant, but I doubt they can stop you from going elsewhere or have forced a high school student to sign a binding contract with them. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I'd love to see how they can actually prevent you from applying elsewhere based on h.s. admission to a combined program.

As far as letters of rec go, that's not nice for the advisor to withhold a letter, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I rather suspect not all faculty would agree with that approach either.

P.S. I don't think find the program requirements any more difficult than the requirements of normal pre-meds. In fact, in many ways, it's a lot easier, because we have grade buffers and no real need to do research, shadowing, or internships. Personally, I don't study all that much and I party all the time at Penn State. Just my two cents. :)

Hi Celestine,
I'm considering going into an 8 year program as opposed to doing 4 years undergrad and then 4 years grad just because the 8 year program has a conditional spot in grad school. I might consider a 7 year program also, depending on how rigorous it is. I'm considering going to Columbia as an undergrad but it's precisely for this reason (ie no worries about research, shadowing or internships) that I'm considering 8 and 7 year programs first. :)

This sounds like the equivalent of a single applicant early decision program. What I'm talking about is someone making a high school student sign a statement binding them to only applying to one medical school even though they will have a bacc degree before matriculation. They can be mean, they can be unpleasant, but I doubt they can stop you from going elsewhere or have forced a high school student to sign a binding contract with them. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I'd love to see how they can actually prevent you from applying elsewhere based on h.s. admission to a combined program.

As far as letters of rec go, that's not nice for the advisor to withhold a letter, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I rather suspect not all faculty would agree with that approach either.

true. I would say my school's program is more like an early decision program than a Bac/MD program

If one is in a traditional 4+4 program with guaranteed admission, I don't know how they'd force one to stay.

Depakote which school/program do you go to?

Last edited:
My school has 3 separate BS-MD programs that feed into it (I was not part of any of these). The way I understand it, people in the programs could apply to different medical schools if they wanted to, but they would have to go the traditional route i.e. getting the ECs, actually taking the MCAT, having a competitive GPA and I'm pretty sure by applying elsewhere they would forfeit their spot at the original school (not sure on this part though). I would venture that unless one decides early on that one wants to apply to a different MD program and take the necessary steps to be a competitive applicant, it is not a great idea. And lastly, if one decides to apply to different schools and doesn't get in, they're just SOL and going through the same crap so many others have to go to. I would usually tell people to think long and hard before turning down an acceptance in order to go through the application process. The grass is not always greener on the other side........

im in an 8 year program in which i have to maintain a 3.5 and take the mcats (29 or above) and do an 'internship' at the local teaching hospital. i DID have to sign a contract saying that i have to maintain the gpa, mcat score, and apply ED to the med school during the summer after my junior year. BUT, i have heard of another student a couple of years ago in the same program who went to columbia p&h. i found this out in one of the brochures they had about the program, so i dont think that my undergrad school discourage it, but i dunno about the med school. but im sure they wouldnt do much bc they get like 12,000 apps for 280 seats. they can easily fill their class with ppl on the waitlist or something.

Last edited:
I emailed the director of the Guaranteed Medical program at VCU and she said that it's non-binding, so one could apply to a different medical school; I forgot to ask her if this would forfeit the guaranteed position at VCU's medical school, so hopefully I'll have a reply tomorrow.

I suppose I'll make a list of such schools, mostly for my own reference but also because I couldn't find such a list elsewhere. However I'm pretty busy this week so hopefully sometime next week. :whistle:

I don't know if you play an instrument.. but I always thought that the Music/Medicine program in Sydney was really cool. They have a few combined programs with medicine all of which are 7 years long. (BA/Med, BSc/Med, and BMus/Med). As long as you maintain an acceptable GPA during the first 3 years and take your pre-req courses then you will be guaranteed a place in the 4 year med course.

The last one is the coolest which combines a degree in music with a medical degree. For the first 3 years of the 7 year program you get to basically go to school in the Royal Botanic Gardens at the University of Sydney Conservatory of Music which looks like a castle. (pretty wicked deal)

Check out the locations here: http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/about/history.shtml

http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/FS/undergrad/study/facilities.shtml

Applicant info:
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/admission/music-med.php#summary

http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/FS/undergrad/study/courses.shtml#bachmed

Plus the Sydney Med program is pretty well regarded as well. :thumbup:

Med Faculty info:
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/index.php
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/about/history/index.php

Dr. Millisevert, thanks for the info- that program looks amazing; now I wish I played an instrument :cry:

So I've gotten a few replies:

Brown's PLME - You have to choose to matriculate into Brown's med school by February of senior year in college; however, if my understanding is correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong) one usually applies to medical schools in June-ish of their third year in undergraduate school and usually receives a letter of acceptance/rejection by October, correct? So in a sense you can apply elsewhere and still have Brown's med school as a backup?

Case Western - You have to keep a 3.6 GPA to keep your spot in the med school, and a 33 MCAT to keep your spot in the med school if you want to apply elsewhere.

USC/Keck - Yes, you can apply elsewhere without losing your spot in their med school :thumbup::)

BU - I've heard that the program is binding BUT I hope to get a reply by next week (vacation time for the person in charge).

Has anyone gone to the Monmouth University / Drexel program? I believe it's for NJ residents only, I wanted some info on it...

I just finished the undergraduate part of VCU Guaranteed Admission program. It is an amazing program. Sky is the limit to how much you can achieve. There is a great deal of flexibility: you can do a double major and quadruple minor if you want. Or you can join a fraternity or sorority and barely get by with a 3.4 minimum GPA and a Psychology major (I may be wrong, but I heard that it is one of the easier ones). Advisors are nice and always there for you if you have questions. The Guaranteed students win prestigious national scholarships every year. The medical school is good: ranked about in the middle. If you want to go to a more prestigious school, you can apply out, which is what the vast majority of people end up doing (maybe about 92% apply out). There are great scholarships available for undergraduate (med. school is pricey and you are highly unlikely to cover it all or even most of it with scholarships) . You can study abroad, volunteer, shadow... There are tons of research opportunities.

To get in:
I)
1) get high GPA and SAT scores. Most Guaranteed students I know had all or nearly all A's in high school. Some ppl I know did not have a (relatively) very high SAT scores. But the majority is somewhere between 2200 and 2400, I think.
2) recommendation letters: need physician or research mentor letters. Just teacher letters will not cut it. Try to get to know the physician you are shadowing. If a doctor is willing to let a high school student observe, then it is probably a VERY nice person who will write a very good letter if you look interested and ask good questions.
3) medicine or research-related experience. I did not do any research, but had almost 500 volunteer hours at a nursing home and 300 hours of shadowing. I know some students who had 4 years of research experience while in high school but no shadowing or volunteering of any kind.
4) Sports, clubs: whatever you are good at. Being in every organization you can join is not as good as being good at one. But not being in any organization will definitely not get you in. If you are a high school president, I'm sure it helps tremendously.
5) awards: NHS, French or Spanish Honor Society, Principal's award...

II)
Interview: I don't think that I sounded particularly brilliant during my interview... Neither did most of the people I've talked to. I think when you are only a high school student, you are not experienced enough to perform GREAT on interviews. HOWEVER, I did not say anything outright stupid. If you do, you will not get in. For example, if you tell your interviewer that you are planning to discover a cure for cancer while you are at VCU--you might as well just pack and leave. Or you can say that "I want to be a doctor because my parents want me to"--please don't waste your interviewer's time by coming. So, review the medical interview questions before you come.

Check out other combined programs: there is a book on Amazon about combined programs.

I'd like to second LeonVCU's impression of VCU's BS/MD program. I am a graduate of that program too and it prepared me very well for medical school. The administrators were also very supportive of me applying out and encouraged me to go to the best school that I could.