BA or BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HessExpress

Holy Macaroni
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So who here majoring in bio is going with a BA or BS? I was thinking of switching to BS to have better credentials for plan B grad school...any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

berkeley's molecular cell bio degrees are all BAs. I really dont think it matters man.

there is no appreciable difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Wash U all bio and chem majors can only get an A.B. I thought it was kind of cool to be different. I don't really think there is any difference though.

At least at Duke, the requirements for a B.S. in biology are much more intensive than for a B.A. Everything I've ever heard has led me to believe that when an option is given, the more rigorous B.S. curriculum looks better. This, for obvious reasons, is more applicable for grad school admissions than for med school admissions. Regardless, there is an appreciable difference between a B.A. and a B.S. in departments that offer both degrees.

well, most universities I deal with, the B.A. or B.S. only indicates which school within the university you went to, B.A. given for liberal arts schools, B.S. for engineering division.

So I guess this really depends on how Berkeley does things?

where i'm at, biochem is only BS, chemistry, yuo can get either BA or BS, and the main difference is the BS in chem requires research. the bio dept also offers a BA and BS, and there is quite a difference in that dept. also, less cores are required for a BS.