Nov 18, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
Hey Guys!

I hope all is well with each and everyone of you. I desperately need some advice. My hubby and i just got some exciting and shocking news. We are expecting and the baby is due September 3 2012, right around the start of school. I have already applied to the two schools i'm immensly interested in so now i'm really confused. We already have a 2 year old who takes up most if not all of our time(terrible two's stage). Should i withdraw my applications? I feel like if i dont go now i wont ever be able to go. I mean, i think i could atleast try but seeing that i have no idea what the classes or course load is like do you guys thing it can be done? My hubby wants me could ask for a one year deferral if i get accepted but i just dont see how much of a difference that would make, i could be completely wrong though. Any advice/opinions?

Jul 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
Congrats! I haven't started an AuD program yet so I can't give you a whole lot of advice.. But I would say don't withdraw your applications. Just wait and see if you get accepted to either of the two programs. That will at least give you time to think about it. Also, you can always talk to someone at the programs once you get accepted because I'm sure they have experience with students in similar situations and might be able to work something out with you or at least let you know how it worked for previous students. Good luck figuring everything out!

cidanu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
first of all - congratulations!

i definitely recommend discussing things with the schools you're interested in. they know what their curriculum is like, and probably they have worked with other students with families. given that the field is disproportionately female, it's not an unusual circumstance.

About the Ads
May 18, 2010
Treasure Valley, Idaho
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
I don't really have much advice, but I can tell you that the difference would be you wouldn't have the potential roadblock of several weeks of missed classes (I don't know how the first go 'round was for you; maybe you wouldn't need much time off). But like the other girls said, I'm sure it's happened before. One of the third-years in my program is currently pregnant. I think her due date is in the summer, but we have summer courses, too, so it's not too much different.

I guess the worst that could happen is you start and then find out in late September that it's too much and have to drop out. Maybe ask them, while you're asking things, if that happens, whether you can still put things on hold for a year? I dunno. Maybe it's better not to go in with that mindset, but that's what I tend to do: prepare for all possible outcomes.

Aug 31, 2011
Status (Visible)
First off, congratulations!!!

Second, if they accept you, you should really be able to defer a year. I'm sure they realize they could potentially have a massive lawsuit on their hands if they didn't allow you to do so. I would say defer, come back after a year, and give it a try. If it's too much for you at that point, then go ahead and leave.

Nov 18, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate the responses. I am going to wait and see if i even get accepted and then contact the school in regards to my situation and then make a decision. If we decided it might not be the best for me to go i will seek a deferral and then go back. Wish me luck!

Jan 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hey, just another thought. In undergrad, I worked in the Women's Center at my school. They did tons of stuff to help out and support the students. Maybe if the school you applied to has a women's studies department or women's center, you might find some great professors that would be willing to give advice or help you talk to administration. Just a thought... I know sometimes a letter from someone on the faculty helps to get things done with administration.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.