Bachelor of Human Kinetics okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedypear

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! :luck:
I'm a senior at highschool and I was wondering if Bachelor of Human Kinetics (Kinesiology + Health Science) is an acceptable undergrad degree for dental school? There's a lot of electives, so I can take the prerequisite courses for dental, but I doubt I'll be able to finish all the first year pre-reqs in first year...is that bad? There's nothing wrong with doing first-year courses in second year, right?

I want to get into Human Kinetics because everyone does really well in it (easy + interesting) but the program itself doesn't cover any prereq's. Do you think it would be wise to get a BHK instead of a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, which covers many of the prereq's? It also has a lot of other science courses though...which means lower GPA. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance! Application deadline is in 2 weeks and I still don't know what I want to do :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you'd enjoy Kinetics as a major, then go for it. There is no requirement for a major. Personally, I'm a psychology major (go figure) and I've been accepted to four quality schools. In fact, the uniqueness of your major might be an advantage. You just have to complete your pre-requisite courses before you graduate (though you'll probably want to complete most of them before you take the DAT). So my advice is to choose which ever major that interests you the most, while making sure you get mostly A's in your pre-reqs.

Thanks for responding to my post! I guess I'm a bit worried that a Bachelor of Human Kinetics (Kinesiology) would look bad to dental school admissions...it has a reputation of being an "easy major", and they would probably be aware of that.

It's not even a Bachelor of Science in HK, it's just a BHK, so all of the courses that make up the degree are HKIN courses (science-related,but not science) and you choose whatever electives you want to take (most of them must be science).

A Biology major would be the most practical choice, but I don't want to go through 4 years of science hell and end up with crappy grades. I don't even know if Human Kinetics is for me...I'm NOT athletic, don't play sports...is this something you can learn to love? I really hate making decisions. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. :)