Bachelor's degree requirements for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Freeze

Not right. (in the head)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is not having a BS/BA something that may adversely affect matching later? Or at least to such a degree that it would be foolhardy not to finish it, even if it isn't required to enter school?

The most prevalent requirements I can find for GME slots have USMLE and med graduation requirements but not BS/BA. They might view it as redundant, since a lot of schools already require one. ?

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by attending to more pressing issues than my post-acceptance spring semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking BS vs BA, or BS vs no college degree? If it's BS vs BA, it doesn't matter.

Can you even go to a US medical school without some sort of college degree?

Hurricane said:
Are you talking BS vs BA, or BS vs no college degree? If it's BS vs BA, it doesn't matter.

Can you even go to a US medical school without some sort of college degree?
There is an awesome OB resident at my school that has an associates degree. I think the requirements for most medical schools (at least when I was applying) said that you had to have x amount of hours of college credit for admission. I think the hour requirement was basically equal to a BS/BA but didn't explicitly state that you had to have a bachelors.

MeganRose said:
There is an awesome OB resident at my school that has an associates degree. I think the requirements for most medical schools (at least when I was applying) said that you had to have x amount of hours of college credit for admission. I think the hour requirement was basically equal to a BS/BA but didn't explicitly state that you had to have a bachelors.

Yes, many med schools only require 90 units, although it is rare for students without a BA/BS to be accepted to a med school.

I don't have a BA either, and I just graduated from med school. Though I will probably go back and get my BA sometime. Perhaps my med school classes can be transferable? lol.

I was a carib grad with no degree and matched into anesthesia....should not be an issue.

Almost no medical schools require a degree for matriculation (usually only 90 units) and I haven't seen any residency programs or state licenses that do. I'm doing my application for the NJ state medical license right now and it only require 60 undergraduate units.

I'm chair of a residency selection committee. I wonder about those applicants who don't have an undergrad degree. Why not? Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean you shouldn't have it.

I found a way to finish one without having to take classes right up until MSI, so I think everything will work out. I just won't have the BS I thought I was going to. Which is fine. I was just concerned that it may come up later, on advice from someone who said it may come up later.

iron said:
I'm chair of a residency selection committee. I wonder about those applicants who don't have an undergrad degree. Why not? Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean you shouldn't have it.

There were two in my med school class but both were super genius 17 year old MS 1's. Both ended up in family practice.

On another forum, a naturopathic doc in Florida has been telling patients that he is actually more qualified than a MD because in Florida, you do not necessarily need an BA to matriculate into med school and receive MD, whereby to get into the "ND" school you MUST have a BA or BS. Sad thing is, a lot of those patients will probably believe him!!! :D

APACHE3 said:
On another forum, a naturopathic doc in Florida has been telling patients that he is actually more qualified than a MD because in Florida, you do not necessarily need an BA to matriculate into med school and receive MD, whereby to get into the "ND" school you MUST have a BA or BS. Sad thing is, a lot of those patients will probably believe him!!! :D

Natural selection.

APACHE3 said:

i have spoken to several ND's and looked up there classes they take. i say wow, how easy can this be. there is a reason that ND's are can not practice in all 50 states. dispute this fact!