bachelors question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

Just out of curiosity how many of you received a bachelors before getting admitted to a pharmacy school, and also in what?

I know many of the school websites says its not required, but for instance 90 percent of dentals student have bachelors even though its not required.

Thanks for any help you guys can supply me.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I had a BSc in Biomedical Sciences. I'd say in my class probably 60-70% had BS's. This was in the entering class in 2004, it's probably higher now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a BS in biochemistry and a minor in classics, thats because I wanted to be cultured

So I tried to find national statistics from AACP for you, but their data doesn't have a specific percentage. I did find one chart that has info about how many acceptees had different degrees, but unfortunately it doesn't have how many total people were accepted so you can't get a number nor does it include how many people didn't have any degree. Here's the chart so you can at least take a look.
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForDeans/7732_Degree0506.pdf

I looked up my class' stats and the number is 43% have bachelors. It varies from school to school because some put more emphasis on it than others. I remember reading some Cali schools rarely accept people without a bachelors. I have a bachelors in Molecular and Cellular Bio, and a minor in Religious Studies. You can major in anything you want, but arguably something in the sciences makes the most sense so you can get all your pre-reqs done w/o taking extra classes.

B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Science, worked for two years in the field before pharmacy school.

B.S. in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics

Last I recall, 58 out of my class of 76 have a degree (all B.S.'s, 1 MPH, 1 PhD). Two people I work with got turned down most likely for not having a degree (both had higher GPA/PCAT scores than the slackers in my class w/ a B.S.)

It seems to me that most schools on the east coast have 0-6 programs which means that most of these students enter with out any pre-pharmacy courses or degrees. I have a BA in chemistry and work at a pharmaceutical company before going to pharmacy school for 4 years.

I had a BS in Biology/biomed and minor in chem...transferred in but my school catered to the 6yr program and recruiting highschoolers. Each year I was there the transfer class size decreased by %50 each year. I felt like Wooderson in Dazed and Confused

hello

Just out of curiosity how many of you received a bachelors before getting admitted to a pharmacy school, and also in what?

I know many of the school websites says its not required, but for instance 90 percent of dentals student have bachelors even though its not required.

Thanks for any help you guys can supply me.:D

I finished my bachelor's degree prior to going to pharmacy school because I was on scholarship and figured I may as well take advantage....B.S. in Human Sciences

It seems to me that most schools on the east coast have 0-6 programs which means that most of these students enter with out any pre-pharmacy courses or degrees. I have a BA in chemistry and work at a pharmaceutical company before going to pharmacy school for 4 years.

Thats scary at 17 how do u know what u want to do with your life? I dunno, if i was a dr who had to get a BS then many more years of school and had some punck 23 yo who got into pharmacy school at 17 tell me they are an equal medical professional I would just laugh.
I think bachelors degree should be a pre req. Not because you need one to do the job, but there are so many applicants and perhaps we would get a little more respect, because a lot of people in the medical field feel that schools like that and 3 year programs are diploma mills.

I have to disagree with you. The majority of schools on the east coast do not have 0-6 programs. Yes, you can get in after 2 yrs of pre-reqs (this is not a 0-6 program straight out of HS), which is becoming more difficult, but it can be done. Additionally, schools are moving to increase requirements. I went to VCU (obviously) and during my last year they raised the entrace requirments to 90 hrs of undergraduate work. As pharmacy progresses to become more clinical (at least if we keep pushing) we are going to have to mandate equal requirements to get us on the same page as DDS and MD. These professions will always argue we are less educated as we push for more autonomy. You can disagree, but I have hear this a lot. Why give them something additional to argue about? Anyway, I will stop my rant. I have a BS in Biology from UT

Thats scary at 17 how do u know what u want to do with your life? I dunno, if i was a dr who had to get a BS then many more years of school and had some punck 23 yo who got into pharmacy school at 17 tell me they are an equal medical professional I would just laugh.
I think bachelors degree should be a pre req.

What's wrong with getting into pharmacy school w/o a BS? I was one of the 7% in my class who got in w/o a bachelors and I'm probably one of the more mature students. At first, I got a jealous vibe from some of the older students, but as we got to know each other, we have respect for each other. My study buddy is a 40 yo.

Anyways, my school recently changed the minimum undergrad years from 2 to 3. I bet in a few more years, an undergrad degree will be mandated. I do support this but don't think it matters that greatly. There are MD's, dentists, and vets without undergrad degrees. If a student is willing to work hard and get into professional school, it doesn't matter whether they have a BS or not.

I think bachelors degree should be a pre req. Not because you need one to do the job, but there are so many applicants and perhaps we would get a little more respect, because a lot of people in the medical field feel that schools like that and 3 year programs are diploma mills.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Can I go to medical school and become a Pharmacist with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology or Sociology?? If not Sociology, at least with a Psychology degree??