Bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have or will have a bachelors degree before entering pharmacy school

• YES

Votes: 50 78.1%
  • NO

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lacarthic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have or will have a bachelors degree before entering pharm school

Members don't see this ad.

I earned a BA in psych 1 1/2 years before starting pharmacy school.

It really depends on the location of the pharmacy school. Most pharmacy students in California do have a bachelor degree before starting pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I earned a B.A. in German before being accepted to pharmacy school. Guten Tag!

Got my BS in Biological Sciences waaay back in '95...I feel old. I am old.

At great risk of getting "flamed" ;), the number of baccalaureate holders starting pharmacy school is increasing. According to AACP: "The majority of students enter a pharmacy program with 3 or more years of college experience." Chances are the people in the "or more" category have a baccalaureate of some sort. Used to be a primarily "California" phenomenon, I think.

You know? I clicked on this thread thinking it was a poll asking about the marital status of forum members...how silly of me!

I got my BS in Biology before pharm school.

I received a BA in psychology in 2001

Received a BS in Pharmacology/Toxicology in 2003, will be entering pharm school in fall

I earned a BS in education in 1996, then did pre reqs in 2003-2004.

I start pharmacy school in the fall too!:clap:

I'll be earning a B.S. in Interdisciplinary Heath Sciences , and I just got accepted to pharm school last month..

earned a bachelor of science in biochemistry and molecular biology and a bachelor of arts in psychology. Does this mean I get to vote twice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't have a bachelor's degree before starting pharmacy this fall. My major is food science. This is what I love about this policy. I can change my direction drastically after realizing the prereqs are overlapping with my major requirements, and then start pharmacy early without risking my grade going down and down as I progress to senior year of undergraduate.

I will have my bachelors before I enter Pharmacy School:
BS Applied Ecology
Class of 2004 UC Irvine

I have a B.S. in Business Admin with a minor in International Relations and Management way back in 1994. I'm doing my science pre-reqs now before I apply.
Hey LVPharm- I thought it was the same kind of question.

as of last friday, I have a bachelors in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics from UCLA!!!! Yeah, no more undegrad... WIll attend probably UCSF this fall (still waiting on USC)...

I have a BA in psychology.

BS in Microbiology, 2000. Finish PharmD coursework in 2 weeks...

Wow, MNnaloxone, you had a BS degree and you still got waitlisted at SDSU?! Aaack! I don't have a BS yet. :(

Had my interview there on Friday and I think it went pretty well. I'm supposed to find out my status next week so I'm super worried! I found out in the interview that they still DO prefer their own residents and current students, of course, but they kept wanting to emphasise to me that they still want the best students and all. Only with all things being equal would the SD resident typically be chosen over the non-resident...that's the impression I got at least. I absolutely LOVED the school and everything, so my fingers have been crossed for quite awhile already!

Congrats on the residency!

Hopefully they have changed their tune, because my MN residency was the only reason they waitlisted me, according to the dean.

At least at NDSU, having a BS meast absolutely nothing to the admins. All they cared about was the prereqs, and your GPA concerning those prereqs. I would guess that the same goes for U of MN and SDSU, for the time being.

Having the privy to sit with the 'powers that be' at NDSU in meetings for the past month, I know that the BS-requirement is being tossed around. The admins are looking for another difference-maker to assess when looking at applications. Since schools want the best-prepared students that are most likely to succeed, it is an easy argument to make to go this route. Kids with BS degrees have already succeeded, in their opinion. Of course, I think that those with BS degrees in biochem, microbio, and other stricter sciences have succeeded more than those with a BS in...psych or food science, or something a step away from pharmacy, but of course I'm biased.

Thanks for the congrats. Good luck with SDSU. And if you don't get in, use the coming year to better your application-don't give up on it.