Back up plan - volunteering or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's still "early" in the cycle but my neurotic self can't help but think of back up plans in case I don't get in this cycle.

A little background: I am 2, going on 3, years out of college. GPA of 3.5-3.6, slightly lower sGPA. MCAT 512, with uneven performance on verbal (124-126ish). I have ample clinical experience, enough research experience, and leadership. I've applied to nearly 30 schools this cycle, submitting between mid July-early September. Volunteering is the only thing I can think of that is relatively weak on my application (some, but nothing significant). That, and sitting on my secondaries for too long (3-4 weeks in some cases).

I've only had 1 II so far. SO, if I don't get in this cycle, would you recommend...

1. Ramping up the volunteering (e.g. Americorps) and reapplying next summer?
2. Enrolling in a SMP and applying either a) summer 2017 before starting/finishing? Or b) summer 2018, after finishing?

Concern: I really don't want to do an SMP. Too much money, high risk, and really need a break from studying. But, if I end up applying again, I need to do it right.

Thoughts?

Add: Aiming for MD only

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is low but not terrible. I would definitely focus on doing more volunteering and maybe re-writting your PS and all of that other jazz. Idk why you are opposed to applying DO and MD if this cycle fails, but you do you.

I know it's still "early" in the cycle but my neurotic self can't help but think of back up plans in case I don't get in this cycle.

A little background: I am 2, going on 3, years out of college. GPA of 3.5-3.6, slightly lower sGPA. MCAT 512, with uneven performance on verbal (124-126ish). I have ample clinical experience, enough research experience, and leadership. I've applied to nearly 30 schools this cycle, submitting between mid July-early September. Volunteering is the only thing I can think of that is relatively weak on my application (some, but nothing significant). That, and sitting on my secondaries for too long (3-4 weeks in some cases).

I've only had 1 II so far. SO, if I don't get in this cycle, would you recommend...

1. Ramping up the volunteering (e.g. Americorps) and reapplying next summer?
2. Enrolling in a SMP and applying either a) summer 2017 before starting/finishing? Or b) summer 2018, after finishing?

Concern: I really don't want to do an SMP. Too much money, high risk, and really need a break from studying. But, if I end up applying again, I need to do it right.

Thoughts?

Add: Aiming for MD only

Here is hoping to your success with that and the remaining IIs, but barring that...

Do you feel like you did enough? Is there something to improve? Honestly identify weaknesses that are within your control. This might be facilitated by a neutral third-party, as things you might think are "okay" are actually "not okay." Ask mentors or faculty familiar with the process.

Go out and change those things. Once the areas are identified, you would be surprised at how much control you actually have. I can't tell you what those "things" are because I don't know your situation. But my opinion is that whether you are a first-time matriculant or an nth matriculant, your level of preparedness as a candidate should be something you worked hard to achieve.

To address your 1) versus 2) situations...it depends on your own situation. Which will make you a better candidate? My opinion is to seek personal mentors (who know you very well) and who are familiar with the process, and talk with them.

"But, if I end up applying again, I need to do it right." Whatever you do, this is how I would approach your next potential move. And again though, here is to your success!

Good luck to you!