Back up plan???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laura_mideon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any advice in terms of backup plans for not getting into pharm school. IE: What were your backup plans?/Do you know any programs with similar pre-reqs?/....etc

I'm thinking nursing/something to do with bio.....but I can't think of anything good. I'm probably going to get my pharm tech cert. and work for awhile and apply again the following year, but I would just feel better having a non-pharm back up plan, just in case.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember that my back-up plan for not getting into pharmacy school was to apply again the following year.

That's my plan too. If I don't get in, I'll work a year at a pharmacy and make lots of money and then apply again the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
vafcarrot said:
That's my plan too. If I don't get in, I'll work a year at a pharmacy and make lots of money and then apply again the next year.

How are you going to work at a pharmacy and make lots of money? Only pharmacist make lots of money in a pharmacy not techs..

Back up plan for a total failure of pharmacy school would be a radiation dosimetrist or a radiation physicist. They make about the same money but work with cancer patients fine tuning chemo treatments...

J Lucas said:
How are you going to work at a pharmacy and make lots of money? Only pharmacist make lots of money in a pharmacy not techs..
Perhaps vafcarrot has a different definition of "lots of money" than you do. I can't speak for her, of course, but as for myself, I've never made more than $20K in a year. A tech's salary is "lots of money" to me.

In response to the original question, I agree with everybody else about applying again next year if I don't get in this time. It's not as if the pharmacy school will suddenly stop accepting people.

J Lucas said:

Back up plan for a total failure of pharmacy school would be a radiation dosimetrist or a radiation physicist. They make about the same money but work with cancer patients fine tuning chemo treatments...

Considering I'm an undergradutate student, any money is lots of money. Also, I meant to type save, not make, lots of money.

vafcarrot said:
Considering I'm an undergradutate student, any money is lots of money. Also, I meant to type save, not make, lots of money.

Gotcha, :thumbup:

Well I want to keep applying, because I have good grades and as long as I do well on the pcat (which I think I should) I don't see them rejecting me, and I really don't see them rejecting me for 2 years. But I know a girl at my work who has a biochem degree with I think she said 3.1 or 3.2 gpa and she's been rejected for 5 years. (2 times since completing her degree, 3 before) And her mom's a pharmacist so she's had lots of experience at her mom's work. After hearing her story I've become a bit concerned.

Hi,

Rejected for 5 years?

How many schools has she applied to?

How many interviews was she granted?

Why can't her mother help direct her?

This is unbelievable!

The opportunities are totally out there, she must be doing something very
wrong as a PHARMD not to secure a job in the US. :confused:

laura_mideon said:
Well I want to keep applying, because I have good grades and as long as I do well on the pcat (which I think I should) I don't see them rejecting me, and I really don't see them rejecting me for 2 years. But I know a girl at my work who has a biochem degree with I think she said 3.1 or 3.2 gpa and she's been rejected for 5 years. (2 times since completing her degree, 3 before) And her mom's a pharmacist so she's had lots of experience at her mom's work. After hearing her story I've become a bit concerned.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think American pharmacy schools give preference to American resident students over international students.

I don't understand being rejected for the past 5 years either... considering that i can think of more than a couple of schools that have begun in the past 5 years and would nearly accept anyone who met their pre-req's. :confused:

imho, if you really want to do pharmacy- keep trying until you get in. you will get in!! for example, i have a friend who has been wanting to be a veternarian her whole life... she repeated all of her pre-req's and she had that killer instinct... she found research oppty's at cal tech and cedars sinai and did an immersion program at UC davis. now, she's accepted into davis (#2 vet school in the country!!!)

but what i'm trying to say is... if you really want to do pharmacy do it and don't look back... its scary making a commitment like that but thats what the field of pharmacy is calling for now- dedicated professionals who know what they got themselves into.

p.s. in my interview with USC (i'll be starting this fall ) the faculty member asked me the same question you are asking- if you don't get into pharmacy what is you backup plan. if you aren't genuine about your answer, they will see through it....my answer was what jason UCSD2000, vafcarrot and modnar said.

check out other fields like physical therapy adn occupational therapy. they're easier to get into with similar prerequisites.

getting a bachelor's in nursing is also great. there are a lot of options you can pursue after that like management, masters in all different fields of nursing...and a lot i'm not aware of, maybe MPH.

I would've probably done nursing or PT if I hadn't gotten in. not to sound pessimistic, but i don't like the idea of waiting year after year and reapplying. my time is too important for that.

good luck. :thumbup:

dpari said:
Hi,

Rejected for 5 years?

How many schools has she applied to?

How many interviews was she granted?

Why can't her mother help direct her?

This is unbelievable!

The opportunities are totally out there, she must be doing something very
wrong as a PHARMD not to secure a job in the US. :confused:

I think she was just applying to one (maybe two) schools, I don't think she ever got an interview (she didn't mention it), and I don't know why her mom didn't help her. I don't know her very well, this is just what she told me.

Obviously her situation's different then mine, since I'm applying at lots of schools and I think my grades are much better.....I've just never heard such a disappointing story about pharm school, so it kind of scared me.

Members don't see this ad :)
toki said:
but what i'm trying to say is... if you really want to do pharmacy do it and don't look back... its scary making a commitment like that but thats what the field of pharmacy is calling for now- dedicated professionals who know what they got themselves into.

p.s. in my interview with USC (i'll be starting this fall ) the faculty member asked me the same question you are asking- if you don't get into pharmacy what is you backup plan. if you aren't genuine about your answer, they will see through it....my answer was what jason UCSD2000, vafcarrot and modnar said.

Thanks....great advice.....I've been telling myself the same thing but I just feel so insecure not having another plan.
So the year you applied for pharmacy, you only applied for pharmacy? No other programs?

laura_mideon said:
I think she was just applying to one (maybe two) schools, I don't think she ever got an interview (she didn't mention it), and I don't know why her mom didn't help her. I don't know her very well, this is just what she told me.

Obviously her situation's different then mine, since I'm applying at lots of schools and I think my grades are much better.....I've just never heard such a disappointing story about pharm school, so it kind of scared me.

Dont let that person's story get to you. Have a little faith in yourself. You will do fine. :thumbup:

laura_mideon said:
Thanks....great advice.....I've been telling myself the same thing but I just feel so insecure not having another plan.
So the year you applied for pharmacy, you only applied for pharmacy? No other programs?

yeah, i applied last year to 3 schools, western u, loma linda u, and usc. usc was my first i.v. i got i.v.'s with all 3 but was accepted into usc 3 wks after my i.v. before any of the other 2 i.v.s had even happened. i got to tell you- my gpa is much less than stellar but in my personal statement, in my work experience and in my i.v. i think that i showed my dedication and genuine interest in the field. i did a lot of research on what pharmacy really was and i shadowed my friend at her work for a few days (in a hospital).

there are a lot of current issues on pharmacy these days that will help you get a better feel for where you are headed... i would suggest looking stuff up from reliable sources on the web. it will really help you shine on your personal statement and help you to feel more confident overall.

you will be fine! its great that you are asking for advice--- i did all the time and i still do now!!

:love: :love: :love:

if you are truley interested in pharmacy, you will try until you get in! because you were born to be a pharmacist why would you want to be anything else? if i get rejected from pharmacy schools, my plan is to go abroad for at least a few months and do something different which makes me stand out the next time i apply.

crest29 said:
if you are truley interested in pharmacy, you will try until you get in! because you were born to be a pharmacist why would you want to be anything else? if i get rejected from pharmacy schools, my plan is to go abroad for at least a few months and do something different which makes me stand out the next time i apply.

That's an excellent idea. I am planning to be a tech for awhile in my year off if I get rejected, and maybe retake any non-A classes. Good luck to us all! :D

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I'd like to know what current pre-pharm students have planned if they dont get into pharmacy school right away. Thanks!

I didn't get in 2 yrs ago so I decided to work in finance for a year with my degree. That sucked so I quit to go back to school to finish some pre-req's and boosting my gpa. Applied this year and got 2 interviews so far (1 waitlist and 1 acceptance).

If I didn't get in this year, I would've gone back to school and retake the classes I got C's in and apply again. If that doesn't work, then I'd probably do finance again and live my remaining 30 working years unhappy.

My back up plan is quitting my job, and living off welfare. Then, when my 5 year old's Adderall XR 30 script needs a PA, I'm going to go to the pharmacy and throw a FIT like a 2 year old. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get in. At that point I'll be 22 and have a biology degree. I'm not really sure what I can do with that.
I guess I will do Teach for America for two years and then decide where to go from there.
I don't do that great in the pre-pharm classes, but I just can't seem to interest myself in any career except pharmacy.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I'd like to know what current pre-pharm students have planned if they dont get into pharmacy school right away. Thanks!

Get a job as a pharm tech somewhere, do some volunteering, and reapply for one more year.

If that doesn't work than I'm simply cursed, because I have a high PCAT and high GPA. So I'll apply to grad school, and look to get a PhD in Molecular Biology or Immunology.

If the plan is to reapply -- would it be better to work in a retail pharmacy or do research? maybe at a pharm company. I'm not sure which is better.

well I'm currently an undergrad at Buffalo and I messed up my chance for early assurance to get into the PharmD program. So I'm just going to have to apply regularly to the school. I'm going to apply to Pharm in my junior year meaning if I get in I'll start my senior year. I was also thinking of applying to Pharmaceuticals as well since its almost the same. Either that or reapply to Pharm the following year after fixing my grades and such even more.

oh man...I'm going to graduate ultra late, well its worth it I guess

My back up plan is quitting my job, and living off welfare. Then, when my 5 year old's Adderall XR 30 script needs a PA, I'm going to go to the pharmacy and throw a FIT like a 2 year old. :thumbup: :thumbup:

LMFAO ^^ :laugh: :cool:

My backup plan was to move to either Texas or California and get a part time job as a pharm tech and work towards a biology degree, and of course, re-apply. The reason I was going to move is because there are only two Pharmacy schools in my state, which are both hard to get into, and I know it's hard to get accepted to an out of state school being a non-resident of that state. Therefore, since CA and TX has quite a few Pharmacy schools, I was going to work full time as a pharm tech in those states and go to school part time to become a state resident. That way I can maybe increase my chances of getting into one of the state schools since I would be considered a resident after working full time in their state for at least 1-2 years.

yeah, i applied last year to 3 schools, western u, loma linda u, and usc. usc was my first i.v. i got i.v.'s with all 3 but was accepted into usc 3 wks after my i.v. before any of the other 2 i.v.s had even happened. i got to tell you- my gpa is much less than stellar but in my personal statement, in my work experience and in my i.v. i think that i showed my dedication and genuine interest in the field. i did a lot of research on what pharmacy really was and i shadowed my friend at her work for a few days (in a hospital).

there are a lot of current issues on pharmacy these days that will help you get a better feel for where you are headed... i would suggest looking stuff up from reliable sources on the web. it will really help you shine on your personal statement and help you to feel more confident overall.

you will be fine! its great that you are asking for advice--- i did all the time and i still do now!!

:love: :love: :love:

what were your stats if you don't mind sharing when you applied to USC?

My backup plan was to move to either Texas or California and get a part time job as a pharm tech and work towards a biology degree, and of course, re-apply. The reason I was going to move is because there are only two Pharmacy schools in my state, which are both hard to get into, and I know it's hard to get accepted to an out of state school being a non-resident of that state. Therefore, since CA and TX has quite a few Pharmacy schools, I was going to work full time as a pharm tech in those states and go to school part time to become a state resident. That way I can maybe increase my chances of getting into one of the state schools since I would be considered a resident after working full time in their state for at least 1-2 years.

I would suggest TX over CA b/c CA schools are some of the most competitive schools in the nation. UCSF is like the #1 school since forever. UCSD only accepts like 30 students for their classes since they're still new. UOP, USC, LLU, Western, and UOP all receive well over 1000-1500 applications/yr. Most of their acceptance rates are like 10:1.

And most of the newer schools have small class sizes 30-70 students (Touro, UCSD, LLU) Touro is the newer school so that's your best bet.

TX has many schools and their class sizes are usually over 100. Not to mention they have new ones opening up (i.e. A&M Irma Lerma) Hence, my conclusion is TX should be a better choice. :)

I would suggest TX over CA b/c CA schools are some of the most competitive schools in the nation. UCSF is like the #1 school since forever. UCSD only accepts like 30 students for their classes since they're still new. UOP, USC, LLU, Western, and UOP all receive well over 1000-1500 applications/yr. Most of their acceptance rates are like 10:1.

And most of the newer schools have small class sizes 30-70 students (Touro, UCSD, LLU) Touro is the newer school so that's your best bet.

TX has many schools and their class sizes are usually over 100. Not to mention they have new ones opening up (i.e. A&M Irma Lerma) Hence, my conclusion is TX should be a better choice. :)

Yeah, I was leaning more towards TX, because like you said, CA schools are very competitive, especially since they don't require the PCAT. Also, the tuition is much more expensive than the TX schools. Plus, since TX schools require the PCAT, that could help a little if I score really high on it. But thank God I ended up getting accepted to Pharmacy school, so I didn't need to move after all. :) But those were my plans if I didn't get accepted. Thanks for the advice, though.

Reapply, might also apply to a couple of graduate programs (maybe in public health), and keep working as a full time pharmacy technician, a job which I'll hopefully start doing in February or March.

Yeah, I was leaning more towards TX, because like you said, CA schools are very competitive, especially since they don't require the PCAT. Also, the tuition is much more expensive than the TX schools. Plus, since TX schools require the PCAT, that could help a little if I score really high on it. But thank God I ended up getting accepted to Pharmacy school, so I didn't need to move after all. :) But those were my plans if I didn't get accepted. Thanks for the advice, though.

Oops, I didn't see the word "WAS" in your post. Good job getting in. :)

Medical Technology was my back up plan. It's what I'm doing now because I never applied. My family asked that I get a degree first as my back up plan, so here I am and I'm applying this summer. It has all the prereqs and than some for pre-everything in the medical field.

Stay working for the Gas Co pulling in 60K + bennies until pharmacy school has no choice but to say yes. Even if it takes like 10 years. Until then get CPhT, work in pharmacy and try to convince my wife and kids that my time away from home is worth getting into pharmacy school.
Or stay home with the wife and kids talk to stupid people all day and pretend I'm working retail. I'm not sure which yet.:smuggrin:

Cycloketocaine, is that a dead longhorn? DM for heisman next year, cuz no shot with OSU QB in the mix this year.

I'd probably persue a PhD in pharmacology. A few of my professors are putting pressure on me to get a PhD instead of a PharmD so they would be thrilled to give me a boost to help me get into a program. It would take more time but at least I'd still being working in a field that I love and interests me.

If i do not get accepted in the year 2008, i would spend every day (365days) of the year working double (i mean 16hrs a day) with my nursing degree, at least that would give me money for my first year of pharmacy school and some more.

What do u think guys, work as a nurse or as a tech. ( i bet ya the nurse is better):)

I am extremely discouraged I am not getting the grade that I want in General Biology 1 I am looking at a C. This semester I took a few history classes and I am doing well in those but that C is going to give me a 3.00 or a 2.9. I was wondering has any of you been in this same situation. Should I retake General Bio 1 instead of going on to bio 2 and take bio 1 again this summer or online this spring? I don't know what to do please help me. Next semester here is what my schedule will look like at the University at Albany, my current major is history and pre-pharmacy.
General Bio 2 (Maybe) General Bio 1 (Online at a local CC they don’t offer Bio 1 in the spring)
General Chem 1
Calculus
2 Upper level History classes towards my major

if i don't get in maybe i'll rob a bank or marry rich. but seriously, i'm either gonna major in chemistry or biochem and then try applying again. Not sure whether i should do chem or biochem though, and i gotto decide soon because they require different courses.