How do PharmD's end up going into clinical research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEE ADAMA WILLIAMS

Reaction score
I want to do some clinical research in pharmacology, I have interviews lined up with some of the programs Ive applied to. Where in the process of pharmacy school does the opportunity for research come up? how can I express this interest with schools? Does one finish their PharmD then do research or can they do research while working on their PharmD? any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by clinical research in pharmacology? Clinical research is a broad career field,

You don’t. You go for a PhD if you want to go into research. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t. You go for a PhD if you want to go into research. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail.

As someone in the actual field, pharmacist do go into clinical research. It just really depends on what type of job they are looking for?

As a pharmacy student, especially at a research-focused institution, you can get involved in research. A popular organization that facilitates research projects for students is the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.

It is worth clarifying that the "clinical research" most pharmacists participate in, especially during residency training or as a required school project, are more of an operational or statistical nature. For example, studying how quickly patients received antibiotics in a hospital by reviewing a bunch of charts in the electronic health record. Or using things like surveys to find out the effects of a new outpatient pharmacy policy.

If you are interested in something closer to basic sciences like pharmacology or pharmacokinetics, some programs do have dual degrees or a pathway to PhD/Master's level research. You can also ask non-pharmacist professors at your pharmacy school if they will let you join in on their research. Examples of this kind of research would be pooling together measurements of a drug's concentration in the body. It is rare but possible for pharmacists to directly run something like an FDA clinical trial. However, many large hospitals have an Investigational Drug Service where pharmacists facilitate the process (dispensing the study drugs, tracking adherence to study protocols, etc).

In summary, a PharmD is not a PhD in pharmacology. What you study in pharmacy school is more focused on practice-based knowledge and not purely basic science.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi thanks I want to research medication error as well as the role of pharmacies in pathogen dissemination

That would be a more academic pharmacy research and it could probably be done in 2 ways. 1st, PharmD+Residency as part of your projects. The second option is a PhD in Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy, but they are more statistical and public health oriented in nature.

That would be a more academic pharmacy research and it could probably be done in 2 ways. 1st, PharmD+Residency as part of your projects. The second option is a PhD in Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy, but they are more statistical and public health oriented in nature.

Okay one last question I promise, and thank you very much for your help. if the school I am interviewing with doesnt offer a PhD in pharmacology, does that mean I have to apply to a PhD program after my pharmD ?

Yes. Also, you may not need a PhD for the research you want to do. A PharmD with a Residency Should be enough. If you are interested in going the PhD in Pharmacology route, you might not need the PharmD. Pick one or the other.

Yes. Also, you may not need a PhD for the research you want to do. A PharmD with a Residency Should be enough. If you are interested in going the PhD in Pharmacology route, you might not need the PharmD. Pick one or the other.
Thanks for the feedback, I want to do clinical stuff too: specifically oncology, I just also think its worth investigating research, thank you very much for your time

Thanks for the feedback, I want to do clinical stuff too: specifically oncology, I just also think its worth investigating research, thank you very much for your time

In that case, the best bet is doing a PGY-1 and a PGY-2 in Oncology. Then just trying to find a job in a Cancer Center or a Pharmacy School. Easier said than done.