back up plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DilatedPeoples

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm remaining very hopeful that things will work out well in the Ophtho match this year, but I figure it's not a bad idea to cover all bases, and have a back up plan just in case. I was wondering what would be best for those intent on reapplying? To just do an prelim/TY year and apply again, and hopefully have a year off to play or make $$$? I figured if you didn't match the first time, there is some deficiency, and it doesn't make sense to simply apply with the same application the following year. I've heard that it is possible to do a fellowship in Ocular Pathology before starting residency. Anyone do research somewhere, and have success schmoozing with a dept? I would appreciate any suggestions, and apologize if this has been addressed in other threads.

Members don't see this ad.

Ocular path is the dumping grounds for umatched applicants and pre-residency fellows. This is a decent option if you'll work hard to crank out research.

If I didn't match, then I would have considered the following:

1) completed internal medicine
2) reapplied after internship but still pursue a categorical IM residency
3) research, academic or industry
4) teach college
5) teach high school
6) pursue my entrepreneurial ideas
7) any of the above AND 6

Good luck and welcome to the forum! ;)

Just wondering - do ppl apply to ophtho programs and their back up, say IM, at the same time? Do PDs have and idea, or even care, that an applicant applies to two separate residencies? What is the
general number of interviews that one can go on, before it starts to take its toll? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
vtrain said:
Just wondering - do ppl apply to ophtho programs and their back up, say IM, at the same time? Do PDs have and idea, or even care, that an applicant applies to two separate residencies? What is the
general number of interviews that one can go on, before it starts to take its toll? Thanks

I went on 13 interviews, and that was too many for me. I think 10 is good, but it depends on how far they are spaced apart in time. Those long road trips where you knock out 3 or 4 save you money but wear you out.

I never had a PD ask me if I was applying for a back-up or anything, and I can't think of a way they could find out, even if they wanted to. If you wanted to apply to categorical IM as a backup, the IM would be through the regular match, as the ophtho match is early match...different applications, different interview trips (some overlap if you're good at scheduling them). You would know if you matched in ophtho before you would have to submit your rank list for IM programs or prelim programs.

I didn't have an actual "backup" residency plan, but if you do a prelim medicine year and didn't get into an ophtho program, you would always have the option to apply for advanced standing in an IM program somewhere vs. apply for optho again....so that can sort or work as a backup. If you don't get into ophtho this match, and still do an internship, realize that you wouldn't necessarily have to sit out a year if you got into an ophtho program the next match...some programs take PGY2's that year, so it just depends.

However, if you love ophtho, you should go all out for it, even if you have to reapply the next year as you're doing internship or research or something. You'll have a good idea based on the number of interviews you are offered how good of a chance you have at matching and whether it is prudent to apply for backups as well.

Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks for the advice Tx guy. I just finished my first year and am an optometrist, so as of now, ophtho is definitely at the top of my list!