Background Check, Submitted Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loudmouthpigs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just realized an issue that may jeopardize ALL of my medical school applications, which are already submitted and therefore not changeable. I was finishing up my secondaries (was on Northwestern Feinberg) and they mentioned something that I realized could put this whole process in jeopardy: "We may be able to see records that have been officially expunged from the record."

When I was 14, I got a Minor In Possession in California (a misdemeanor) and was charged, pled guilty, did the classes and AA meetings and etc. Since I thought it had been expunged, I didn't mention it in ANY of the secondaries so far. The Northwestern secondary was a wake up call, and after looking in forums on SDN and elsewhere, they all say it's better to put that information forward. However, for me it's already too late to do that on already-submitted secondaries.

I feel physically sick. I assume I am going to have to email all of these schools, since even if I do get in without the school finding out, it will become an issue when it comes to getting a license to practice. I don't relish the thought of calling attention to it or seeming irresponsible. Thankfully my stats are good, none of my behavior other than the charge itself suggest delinquency or anything.

I am really concerned and would appreciate it if you guys could weigh in. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The point of expungement is so that you can legally answer "no" to if you have been convicted. How can they fault you for answering no in that situation?

If they specifically asks about expunged record, then you should list it. Otherwise, you were answering the questions honestly and legally.

I got a speeding ticket while in the middle of submitting my secondaries (misdemeanor where I was) that was later cancelled by the police department issuing it, therefore it never went through the court. So I answered yes to if I had any pending charges when the schools asked, no when they specifically said other than traffic violation, and no if they only asked if I had any convictions. I later simply updated the schools that asked about pending charges.

Answer differently based on the way the question is phrased and what they are asking.

IMO Feinberg is the only one you need to disclose of your expungement.

Last edited:
The point of expungement is so that you can legally answer "no" to if you have been convicted. How can they fault you for answering no in that situation?

If they specifically asks about expunged record, then you should list it. Otherwise, you were answering the questions honestly and legally.

I got a speeding ticket while in the middle of submitting my secondaries (misdemeanor where I was) that was later cancelled by the police department issuing it, therefore it never went through the court. So I answered yes to if I had any pending charges when the schools asked, no when they specifically said other than traffic violation, and no if they only asked if I had any convictions. I later simply updated the schools that asked about pending charges.

Answer differently based on the way the question is phrased and what they are asking.

IMO Feinberg is the only one you need to disclose of your expungement.

I'm not an expert but my dad practices this kind of law so I have a little familiarity with the process:

This is good advice. The issue is that generally when a judge issues an order of expunction, it has to be sent to any agencies or institutions that might have the record you're seeking to expunge. Generally, the onus is on the petitioner to finance the paperwork and processing, and often even to generate a list of which agencies or institutions might have your record. However, once that order of expunction has been issued, you legally do not have to disclose or reveal anything about that conviction. However, in certain cases schools will ask you to tell them about EVERYTHING, including expunged records, "in the interest of full disclosure". If you're in this predicament, it's best to just go ahead and tell them because you never know if something slipped through the cracks.

Also, before you fail to report anything, it is imperative that you make sure you still have official copies of the judge's order directing expunction because otherwise you have no way to prove that you didn't really have to report.

Members don't see this ad :)
Juvenile records are sealed--basically like it was expunged when you turned 18. You will have to disclose it for residency, as the background check for that will have access to these in most cases. The background check for medical school doesn't have access to this. I know at least some secondaries (maybe AMCAS) has this on their instructions. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Juvenile records are sealed--basically like it was expunged when you turned 18. You will have to disclose it for residency, as the background check for that will have access to these in most cases. The background check for medical school doesn't have access to this. I know at least some secondaries (maybe AMCAS) has this on their instructions. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

I think this depends on state law.

Whoa there buddy. Calm down. The AAMC application explicitly says that you say "no" if you have an expungment. If the secondary goes on to ask you for a record including expungment, then you'd have to say it and at that school. If all they are saying is they can see it, you have acted according to the rules. They run the background check AFTER accepting you, so if they try to rescind the acceptance, that's grounds to sue them on. Do NOT contact every school about your incident. Just contact the schools that say explicitly on the secondary that they want you to list expunged offenses.