Background Check with no acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubssox2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email this morning from AMCAS that one of the schools in their program has requested a background check. There is only one school on the list that I have interviewed with so far (UIC), but they have not sent me any information. From what I have found on the threads here, getting a background check is practically synonymous with an acceptance. Should I be expecting good news, or could this be that one of the other schools I applied to is performing the check before an interview invite?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Schools don't waste money on rejected applicants or pre-interview candidates. Be optimistically happy. Drink tonight, celebrate. You SHOULD have good news soon enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a similar email yesterday.

It lists the schools that participate the CBC program (I have interviewed at more than one of them), then says one has requested that a CBC be procured on me.

Has to be good news...HAS to. I hope.

I got a similar email yesterday.

It lists the schools that participate the CBC program (I have interviewed at more than one of them), then says one has requested that a CBC be procured on me.

Has to be good news...HAS to. I hope.

Thanks! I really hope so! My goal this entire cycle was to get an acceptance by Thanksgiving so that I could relax and stop worrying. Hopefully that wish has come true!!!

Thanks! I really hope so! My goal this entire cycle was to get an acceptance by Thanksgiving so that I could relax and stop worrying. Hopefully that wish has come true!!!

Same here buddy!!!:) Did your email read the same way as mine?

Same here buddy!!!:) Did your email read the same way as mine?

As you were notified in the AMCAS application, and in an email upon submission of your AMCAS application, you have applied to at least one medical school that is participating in an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service. The following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:

*List of Schools*

A participating school has now requested that a background check be procured on you via this service, and you will soon receive an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. that requests that you log into their online system and provide consent for this report to be procured. To ensure that you meet this requirement, please ensure that you have added [email protected] as a trusted email sender.

For additional information, including details regarding the consumer report to be procured, go to our web site at www.aamc.org.

I'd say it's probably an acceptance :luck: Congrats!!!

As you were notified in the AMCAS application, and in an email upon submission of your AMCAS application, you have applied to at least one medical school that is participating in an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service. The following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:

*List of Schools*

A participating school has now requested that a background check be procured on you via this service, and you will soon receive an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. that requests that you log into their online system and provide consent for this report to be procured. To ensure that you meet this requirement, please ensure that you have added [email protected] as a trusted email sender.

For additional information, including details regarding the consumer report to be procured, go to our web site at www.aamc.org.

Yep. Word for word. Still haven't gotten the second email btw.

In my experience last year, you only received that background check if you were being accepted (not waitlist or rejected). Unless they have changed that this year, I think I can safely say, "Congrats!"

Members don't see this ad :)
If you interviewed at UIC, you have an acceptance. You should have something in the mail before thanksgiving. Check your UIC status online, it should now say correspondence mailed.

So have you received any good news by now?

So have you received any good news by now?

I have not received any further noticed as of yet. The school in my case does not have a page online to check your app status.

Has anyone gotten more than one consent request form for the background check? Only two of the schools on my list do a CBC, I was admitted into one and am still waiting to hear from the other one (it's non-rolling). I got one consent request form about a week ago, which I assume was from the school that already admitted me. After filling out the info, I received an e-mail telling me that the release forms had been received, and that the background check was started. Then three days ago, I received another e-mail (identical to the first) asking for consent for a background check. Do you think it's safe to assume that the e-mails came because of requests from the two different schools? Or would they have sent me a duplicate release request? I have been obsessing about this since because the non-rolling school happens to be my first choice.

Has anyone gotten more than one consent request form for the background check? Only two of the schools on my list do a CBC, I was admitted into one and am still waiting to hear from the other one (it's non-rolling). I got one consent request form about a week ago, which I assume was from the school that already admitted me. After filling out the info, I received an e-mail telling me that the release forms had been received, and that the background check was started. Then three days ago, I received another e-mail (identical to the first) asking for consent for a background check. Do you think it's safe to assume that the e-mails came because of requests from the two different schools? Or would they have sent me a duplicate release request? I have been obsessing about this since because the non-rolling school happens to be my first choice.

I would say with 70% confidence you have a 2nd acceptance :)

Hope I am correct!

I received the background check initiated letter today too and am awaiting word from one school that is on the list. According to the AAMC website:

"The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) recommends that all US medical schools procure a national background check on applicants upon their initial, conditional acceptance to medical school. The rationale for performing criminal background checks on accepted medical school applicants is based on a number of issues, including...."

So while I am not trying to get too excited that I may receive an offer soon, on the other hand, it's hard not to.

wow the OP posted this thread 11.21 and got accpeted 11.22...i think that if anyone gets that letter..just get the bottle(s) of Moet :D

I got a notice about a background check before I even interviewed anywhere (but had been invited by one school). Then, I interviewed and was waitlisted. So...I guess background checks don't necessarily mean anything. Best of luck to you though!

Well just for comparison sake, I interviewed at the same school last year and did not get any background check information and was eventually waitlisted.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that they wouldn't initiate a background check unless they were going to extend a firm offer.

Just got home from work and checked my mail to find an acceptance letter from the school I was hoping for! So, I guess its pretty safe to say background check initiation = acceptance, at least for LSU-New Orleans.

I got a notice about a background check before I even interviewed anywhere (but had been invited by one school). Then, I interviewed and was waitlisted. So...I guess background checks don't necessarily mean anything. Best of luck to you though!

Are you willing to say which school that was?

You do receive a general email about CBC's when you submit your amcas app