Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most schools nowadays do background checks on accepted students. When are the tests given in the cycle? I've heard it is right before classes start.

Members don't see this ad.

cbtk18 said:
I know most schools nowadays do background checks on accepted students. When are the tests given in the cycle? I've heard it is right before classes start.

Tests? :confused:

cbtk18 said:
Why are you asking? Have something to hide?

Members don't see this ad :)
cbtk18 said:

Most schools don't do this other than whatever inquiry they may make in the admissions process. Some schools do now require drug testing. All will require vaccination data, perhaps even a physical. And you will have a background check done prior to licensing (i.e. before you are allowed to prescribe drugs).

danjo said:

Yeah, what tests? You sign a form. The school sends off to the state and the FBI who then conduct the check. The school gets a report of your convictions or "no record found".

There are different levels of background checks. If they're really serious they'll ask you for fingerprints and they'll run those in conjunction with the paper trail to identify aliases, etc.

Question.... On the convictions list, does a description of the police report come with it or what. Like say a misdemenor for disturbing the police, will it for into more detail?

danjo said:
south_park_chef_150.gif

Did they give you an anal probe?

njcaldwell said:
Question.... On the convictions list, does a description of the police report come with it or what. Like say a misdemenor for disturbing the police, will it for into more detail?

:laugh: "Disturbing the police." Just sounds funny. As in interrupting them when they were on break or something. :thumbup:

Depakote said:
south_park_chef_150.gif

Did they give you an anal probe?

Yes! The guy with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle!

heh, disturbing the peace

danjo said:
Yes! The guy with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle!

"Man was that test thorough! Someone owes me a dinner!" :laugh:

RDood said:
Why are you asking? Have something to hide?

Yeah, really. That's the only reason someone would care.

It may not be the school that you are attending, but the hospital system your school is affiliated with that will require a background check...it's becoming more common.

28 states now require criminal background checks before matriculation. You can expect it to be all schools sometime in the near future (next 2-3 years, I think).

Fingerprints are run in many cases and checked against the State Police and the FBI files. Schools are most concerned about violent behavior (domestic violence, etc) and sex crimes. Drug possession, particularly with intent to sell, would also be a serious concern.

njcaldwell said:
I'm assuming you reported your misemeanor on your med school aps, and most usually require a sheet explaining it, so you what details would a background check provoide that you haven't already? Unless you didn't report it, which would make you buth dishonest, and screwed.

LizzyM said:
28 states now require criminal background checks before matriculation. You can expect it to be all schools sometime in the near future (next 2-3 years, I think).

Fingerprints are run in many cases and checked against the State Police and the FBI files. Schools are most concerned about violent behavior (domestic violence, etc) and sex crimes. Drug possession, particularly with intent to sell, would also be a serious concern.

True. AAMC recomends that ALL schools conduct background checks before matriculation.
www.aamc.org/members/gsa/cbc_final_report.pdf

Yea I think im blacklisted I got offered a job if I passed the background check and I didn't. Funny thing is I don't have a police record or even have a speeding ticket.

SRK85 said:
Yea I think im blacklisted I got offered a job if I passed the background check and I didn't. Funny thing is I don't have a police record or even have a speeding ticket.

Perhaps it was your marvelous punctuation.

Havarti666 said:
Perhaps it was your marvelous punctuation.
Lol they would have seen that on my app and wouldn't consdiered me then.

SRK85 said:
I am pretty sure that if your are not offered a job because of something in your background they have to tell exacly what it is.