Background check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocwife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband has a DWI on his record from almost 10 years ago. He disclosed it on his primary application, but is worried that it was overlooked by the admissions commitee. Does anyone think it would be a problem once an official background check is run? Does anyone think an offer will be revoked once his background check is complete if he has already disclosed it?

Members don't see this ad.

My husband was recently accepted to AZCOM. He has a DWI on his record from 2001. He disclosed in on his primary application, but is worried that it was overlooked by the admissions commitee. Does anyone think it would be a problem once an official background check is run? Does anyone think his offer will be revoked once his background check is complete if he has already disclosed it?

I would be surprised if the adcom overlooked the DWI completely. If your husband reported the DWI all along, I would imagine this would not be an issue.

from what i understand they do background checks to make sure that you can work/ do clinicals in a hospital. A DWI wouldn't affect that ability. Things like sex offender, stealing large amounts of money, ect would.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this question is far too serious to rely on advice from SDN (no offense to my fellow SDN posters, I think you all are wonderful). I had some past issues in my life that could show up on a background check, and while I did ask here, I also talked to an attorney and licensing boards in the states I was interested in, I would suggest you do the same.

Good luck! :thumbup:

What information were you given regarding your past? If you had any misdemeaners, have you been accepted anywhere, and if so, has your background check been done?

from what i understand they do background checks to make sure that you can work/ do clinicals in a hospital. A DWI wouldn't affect that ability. Things like sex offender, stealing large amounts of money, ect would.

I would tend to disagree that having a problem with drinking responsibly wouldn't affect ones ability to work as a physician. I see a parallel between operating a car and being a doctor. Both require putting the safety of other people into your hands. Both require someone who will do this while alert and sober. When people drink and drive, others get hurt. How would you feel going into surgery knowing that your physician got a DWI the night before?

My husband has a DWI on his record from almost 10 years ago. He disclosed it on his primary application, but is worried that it was overlooked by the admissions commitee. Does anyone think it would be a problem once an official background check is run? Does anyone think an offer will be revoked once his background check is complete if he has already disclosed it?

Medical schools usually don't discard students with such records, if he gets accepted you should be ok.

I would tend to disagree that having a problem with drinking responsibly wouldn't affect ones ability to work as a physician. I see a parallel between operating a car and being a doctor. Both require putting the safety of other people into your hands. Both require someone who will do this while alert and sober. When people drink and drive, others get hurt. How would you feel going into surgery knowing that your physician got a DWI the night before?

people change. having a dwi several yeas ago doesn't mean that he won't be a great doctor down the line!!! don't be so close minded!!! of course, nobody wants a drunk surgeon. I don't think one such case means this guy has a "problem with drinking" or will be out getting plastered before surgery. if it is repeated, then that would be a problem. Also, my answer was just saying why they do background checks, not why they should do background checks.

if you didn't understand, i said "ability" to work in a hospital, from a legal standpoint.

people change. having a dwi several yeas ago doesn't mean that he won't be a great doctor down the line!!! don't be so close minded!!! of course, nobody wants a drunk surgeon. I don't think one such case means this guy has a "problem with drinking" or will be out getting plastered before surgery. if it is repeated, then that would be a problem. Also, my answer was just saying why they do background checks, not why they should do background checks.

I didn't say someone who has had a DWI can't change nor did I say that someone with a DWI has eliminated all chances of ever becoming good doctor. I also said nothing about this particular persons situation.

I quoted your post was because it was your post that I was responding to. You stated in your post that the reason you believe that medical schools do background checks is to make sure you can work in a hospital. You then said that a DWI wouldn't affect your ability to work in a hospital. I am saying that it certainly could.

I didn't say someone who has had a DWI can't change nor did I say that someone with a DWI has eliminated all chances of ever becoming good doctor. I also said nothing about this particular persons situation.

I quoted your post was because it was your post that I was responding to. You stated in your post that the reason you believe that medical schools do background checks is to make sure you can work in a hospital. You then said that a DWI wouldn't affect your ability to work in a hospital. I am saying that it certainly could.

just read the post above the one you posted. it explains what i meant about ability. i meant legally, like a stated. your post suggested that somebody with a dwi might not have the ability to perform work from a physical standpoint.

just read the post above the one you posted. it explains what i meant about ability. i meant legally, like a stated. your post suggested that somebody with a dwi might not have the ability to perform work from a physical standpoint.

You're right. I did suggest that someone with a DWI might not have the ability to perform work from a physical standpoint. A DWI might indicate a problem with drinking responsibly. A problem with drinking responsibly might mean a problem showing up to work intoxicated. A problem showing up to work intoxicated might mean physical impedances that would keep a person from being able to perform their job.

Does this mean if you get a DWI you are going to show up for work drunk? No. Is it possible that someone who has a problem with drinking and driving might also have a problem with drinking responsibly? Yes. Do some employers and medical schools follow this same logic when deciding who to hire or admit into their school? Maybe not every employer or school does, but some certainly do.

Would a TOWN ORDINANCE VIOLATION come up on a criminal background check?

For instance a "Disturbing the Peace" kind of thing...