Background Checks & Traffic Violations...and more.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anybutpretty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: I don't know if I'm violating rules or not, but I'm deleting this because my question was answered, and I unintentionally included information that made me too easily googable. I'm sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, this happened when you were a minor, can't you look into getting those records sealed if they're not already. Now I don't know whether sealed records will show up on a background check done by a med school, they probably will. But at least the information won't be public.

You should really consult an attorney on this one and not any of us!!!

I don't know what your driving record shows, but you could probably ask the DMV or your car insurance company.

I don't think that med schoolbackground checks include google or newspaper searches. Some check court databses, but you wouldn't show up there. Classmates and patients could google search however.

Unfortunately and fortunately, depending on how you look at it, you application as for charges, not fines or results of your bad behavior. So if there is a place for your fines then you put those but no reason to put the fatality. Just be compete and honest. If you feel dishonest about it, you could list it or bring it up, but it might seem weird, the adcom might wonder why you felt compeeled to mention it. Can you tie it into what you have learned? That is more important than the fact that it happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you weren't convicted of anything other than traffic violations, you could have killed thousands of people and it wouldn't matter.

You can request your driving record from the DMV, it costs about $6.

If you weren't convicted of anything other than traffic violations, you could have killed thousands of people and it wouldn't matter.

In an application sense only, I hope you meant...:eek:

in the real world, honest mistakes result in $50 fines

in the medical world, honest mistakes result in multimillion dollar out-of-court settlements

I honestly don't think med schools even check your driving record..

Maybe for residency, but its not like your driving a company car

I doubt traffic violations really would matter...

I honestly don't think med schools even check your driving record..

Maybe for residency, but its not like your driving a company car

They ask about traffic violations on more than a few secondaries. Cincinnati actually asks for minor violations and just about everything else.

Does a background check disclose employment history....employers/dates of employment etc? What does a background check contain?

Most schools are doing a criminal background check and you'll find that modifier in the phrase that they use to describe the process. This means sending your name & fingerprints to the State Police and (perhaps) the FBI. What the school gets is basically a "rap sheet" (or more often, nothing at all because ya'll don't have rap sheets). Depending on the level of detail provided the "rap sheet" may show convictions and pleas or it may go further to show arrests etc. It is solely your criminal history, not employment history, credit history, and so forth that might show up in other types of background checks.

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for you Lizzy, if you don't mind.

Back in the winter of 2000 (I was 19 years old at the time), I was skiing at a local ski resort and forgot to purchase a pass for that day, and ski patrol stopped me (I had been a season pass holder for years, and since it was my first year at college, I bought passes by the day, and it slipped my mind as an honest mistake). The resort had taken a hard-line recently on this issue, and the ski patrol brought in the local police, who issued me a "summary offense" for "disorderly conduct", because the officer didn't want to write me up for a felony "theft of services" like the ski patrol wanted, because he thought it was silly. I ended up paying something like a $100 fine, with no court date (because I opted to just pay the fine). From asking around, a "summary offense" is less than a misdemeanor, but slightly more serious than a traffic offense. Since med schools generally ask for misdemeanor convictions, I never reported this, but would it have showed up on a background check and hurt my chances? When I interviewed last year, the issue was never brought up, but this year, with no interviews, I am having some doubts.

A question for you Lizzy, if you don't mind.

Back in the winter of 2000 (I was 19 years old at the time), I was skiing at a local ski resort and forgot to purchase a pass for that day, and ski patrol stopped me. The resort had taken a hard-line recently on this issue, and the ski patrol brought in the local police, who issued me a "summary offense" for "disorderly conduct", because the officer didn't want to write me up for a felony "theft of services" like the ski patrol wanted, because he thought it was silly. I ended up paying something like a $100 fine, with no court date (because I opted to just pay the fine). From asking around, a "summary offense" is less than a misdemeanor, but slightly more serious than a traffic offense. Since med schools generally ask for misdemeanor convictions, I never reported this, but would it have showed up on a background check and hurt my chances? When I interviewed last year, the issue was never brought up, but this year, with no interviews, I am having some doubts.

A criminal background check requires fingerprints. It also costs the school (or the applicant) a fee. Typically, it isn't done until the applicant accepts an offer of admission. So, I don't see why your ski-resort experience would have any bearing on your lack of interviews this year.

what about misdemeanors that were dismissed by the DA? do these show up on background checks and are they grounds for acceptance annulment?

from my understanding, whether a criminal record shows up in the background check (rap sheet) depends on whether it was reported to the FBI by the state in which the act was committed. states have different policies on the extent of these reports and whether they report you at all (depending on the act). you can request a rap sheet from the FBI for $18 so you can see what med schools would see beforehand...

what about misdemeanors that were dismissed by the DA? do these show up on background checks and are they grounds for acceptance annulment?

They may show up or they may not, only the state cops know for sure. The feeling I've gotten from one adcom/dean is that the sort of criminal behavior that would get someone tossed would involve sex crimes & other violent crime. I'd suspect that drug dealing would be another.

Interestingly enough one secondary, IIRC sepcifically asked about minor traffic violations, which I thought was a little odd/interesting...

Removed because the OP removed hers.

In the application sense - I doubt it will come up. But if it does you better be ready to show regret, because if I asked someone about that time they killed someone and they just said "its not going to affect my acceptance is it!??!" I wouldn't want them to be a doctor.

EDIT: I realize this is kind of harsh - and I'm sorry. Its hard to read emotion in a forum. My point was - if it does come up - be sure to be able to explain what you've done to get through the remorse.

Also - you're right - it was super easy to find you. Just with what you gave I found the story on google. However, I doubt a adcomm would ever bother to google it if they had no incling that it caused a death.

In the application sense - I doubt it will come up. But if it does you better be ready to show regret, because if I asked someone about that time they killed someone and they just said "its not going to affect my acceptance is it!??!" I wouldn't want them to be a doctor.

EDIT: I realize this is kind of harsh - and I'm sorry. Its hard to read emotion in a forum. My point was - if it does come up - be sure to be able to explain what you've done to get through the remorse.

Also - you're right - it was super easy to find you. Just with what you gave I found the story on google. However, I doubt a adcomm would ever bother to google it if they had no incling that it caused a death.

I only wanted to ask about background checks here, not have people assess how remorseful I am. So, yes, I'm sorry if it seems cold to ask about that in isolation, but I wanted the assurance that I would be the one in control of this issue in an interview, or a heads-up if not. I just didn't want to have to include my grief and guilt into this post.

I am honestly surprised (and a little unnerved) that you were able to find me that easily. I thought I left out enough specifics (location, names) that it'd be okay. Ugh, I just checked, too.

Anyway, I bought my driving record online. Nothing shows up but the points put on my license and the date of the accident.

They may show up or they may not, only the state cops know for sure. The feeling I've gotten from one adcom/dean is that the sort of criminal behavior that would get someone tossed would involve sex crimes & other violent crime. I'd suspect that drug dealing would be another.

Does it matter? Surely an adcom wouldn't hold something against you if you weren't actually convicted of the crime. Innocent until proven guilty, right?

Anyway, I bought my driving record online. Nothing shows up but the points put on my license and the date of the accident.

Is it possible to get criminal reports? Just to make sure there is nothing in there about causing the accident and the investigation that followed and looked to see if there was any negligence on your part.

Again, I doubt they'll google you and find the whole story - but be prepared to explain it. Also, I'd imagine it had a significant effect on your life - did you mention it in your personal statement or anything? I mean it had to have a huge effect on the person you have come to be.

I am honestly surprised (and a little unnerved) that you were able to find me that easily. I thought I left out enough specifics (location, names) that it'd be okay. Ugh, I just checked, too.

Eh - don't worry about it. Most adcomms aren't as skilled at google as people our age are. The two things you did get charged with were what gives it away, but again - I doubt any adcomm would ever think to look up a person who has what looks like two very minor traffic violations.