Background Checks; Whats Important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHambrose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were arrested under probable cause of a misdemeanor as a juvenille and were never charged OR convicted would it matter post-acceptance? The reason asking is because every letter says acceptance is contingent on a "satisfactory background check" which could mean anything. Although I feel like the combination of juvenile + no charge + no conviction + probable cause is a safe bet I just want to know if there is even a likely chance that it would be held against the person in question.

If any of you have insight on this I'd appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

The background check is to make sure someone gets catch for not disclosing a felony conviction for the most part.

doesnt the form ask if you were ever convicted? I think that's all that matters...probable cause is not your fault, just the cop making quick decisions at his best discretion...not sure though...If the glove don't fit you must acquit...sorry couldn't resist.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as long as it isnt anything serious then there is nothing to worry about? There are really two concerns to be had

a) I just dont want it to seem like I was witholding information just because the AADSAS form and my secondaries never specified "arrests" but instead only convictions

b) I dont know how fickle dental schools can be. Can they legally just withdraw admission just because they dont want someone who was arrested at some point in their entering class? Has this ever happened before?

Uhhh no I dont know who "korbin dallas" is. I just wanted to see whether or not there was even the slightest chance that this situation would revoke my acceptances. Anyone else out there who can share their input?

hey, i actually did a quick google search about the dental school background checks. If you look through the list, you'll find some poor kid from 08 or 09 who got a DWI, failed to report it because he didnt understand the directions on the application ( AND the DWI was expunged from his record), only to get into buffalo, and get kicked out of the final class roster 2 days before class started. Just feel bad for whoever that was.

it was expunged and h was kicked out? well, thats just not fair.

Uhhh no I dont know who "korbin dallas" is. I just wanted to see whether or not there was even the slightest chance that this situation would revoke my acceptances. Anyone else out there who can share their input?

put the Fifth Element on your netflix list and you'll get it. :laugh:

Imgaine this scenario as vividly as you can:

you work your a** off in undergrad while balancing two jobs, you get accepted and then find out that you could lose your spot because the police happened to pick you up as a minor when you were completely innocent which is why the court threw the case out immediately. Now there is a posibility that your dream can be taken away from you all because the arrest record never goes away. How would you feel?

Guys please I have been struggling with this for awhile. I just want to know if everythings going to be alright - jokes and movie references aside. Can dental school take away an acceptance even though they never asked about arrests and that there was no crime committed? I appreciate the feedback.

Just relax, you will not get your acceptance taken away due to being arrested with no conviction. People get falsely arrested all the time, dental schools want to make sure they aren't accepting either a convicted felon or a liar.

With that being said, this all depends on what the arrest was for. If it was something serious, they might be curious.