jefras99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2003
Denver
Visit site
Status
Hey Everyone-
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good backpack for medical school...any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Im kind of partial to L.L. Bean myself....Good luck!! :luck: :luck:

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
I have a timberland backpack that last all the way through college and into my first year. Its just as good as new and I expect it to last all the way through med school.

M

melimi

duuuuuuude, 2 words
NORTH FACE
THE best backpacks ever, and nice looking too.

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
jefras99 said:
Hey Everyone-
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good backpack for medical school...any ideas?

Thanks! :)
oh yeah, i used my north face recon backpack ALL through undergrad, AND it is still in great shape! i may get a new one just so i have a separate compartment for my laptop.

the north face "bandwidth" pack has a separate laptop space and i'm sure it is just as durable as my old one. i never had a problem with tears/bad zippers, and the shoulder straps are uber-comfortable. :D

Iamajew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Status
those backpack-convertible-suitcase-wheely things are cool....

...no, no they're not.

hardy

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
I just herniated a disk in my back recently from carrying my laptop and that heavy pathology book (Robbins). I can tell you, it sucks. Be careful and get one that is easy on your book and leave those damn books at home (oh, and get a nice little laptop, a VAIO or so)!

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
I have a Jansport that I've had since sixth grade. I've used it all through middle school, high school, and college, and I'll start medical school with it. I've thrown it, dropped it, tried (unsuccesfully) to tear it, and even burned it, and it has yet to show any serious damage. Definitely go Jansport if you need a bookbag.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
melimi said:
duuuuuuude, 2 words
NORTH FACE
THE best backpacks ever, and nice looking too.
I have a northface that I used for day hiking and the zippers got constantly stuck. Finally one got permanantly stuck and no one has been able to get it undone.

I would definately not get jansport. I got those all through middle school and HS and I had to get a new one almost every year b/c they would always fall apart.

ZappBrannigan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Status
erin682 said:
I have a northface that I used for day hiking and the zippers got constantly stuck. Finally one got permanantly stuck and no one has been able to get it undone.

I would definately not get jansport. I got those all through middle school and HS and I had to get a new one almost every year b/c they would always fall apart.

I always had bad luck with Jansport zippers. They would always split. I have an Eddie Bauer backpack with no zippers (drawstring closure with snaps) and I have avoided the whole irritating zipper problem.

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you have $$$, tumi is nearly unbreakable, constructed like a tank, and has a touch of understated elegance.

Love mine.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
I have a nice quicksilver bag that has a built in soft cooler for food/drinks. The cooler can hold about a six pack of drinks, and collapses when not in use, so it doesn't take up any space and just looks like a pocket. It cost me about $100, but has lasted me 3 years now and is still in great shape (I abuse my bag). I had a Jansport for about 5 years, and it was still in prefectly good condition when I threw it away (when I got the new quicksilver). It was just time for a change. I had taken that thing everywhere, Raves, school, man good times. It was all drawn on and everything...those were the days!

eralza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
Shodddy18 said:
www.Tombihn.com

great bags, come w/ a custome laptop case that straps in, so you only have one bag, and not two. I recomend the brain bag.
Wow! The brain is quite a pack. But with the laptop case, the whole setup is gonna run close to $200. Is it that good?

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
i am kinda partial to plastic bags myself. they come in loads of colors, friendly to your wallet, you can get them for free from any supermarket! and if it breaks, just go and get a new one.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
Okay, there's nothing special about "medical school" that would require out of the ordinary backpack knowledge.... Next thing you know:

"What's the best shampoo for medical school?"

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
I recommend herbal essences to whoever started this thread......cause obviously u need to get laid......backpack.gimme a break........j/k

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
Ross434 said:
Okay, there's nothing special about "medical school" that would require out of the ordinary backpack knowledge.... Next thing you know:

except, unfortunately, you have to tote the damn thing around with you for 10+ hours a day, at least 5 days a week. the last thing i want to worry about is a bad pack with shi**y zippers... esp. if i've dropped $100 on it.

inthe4cast

What's in the 4-cast?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Camelbak makes a great backpack with a water delivery device - in case you're like me and never seem to get your 64 ounces a day.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
Ross434 said:

Gotta vote for pantene. It makes your hair so soft! :)

DocPimp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
I'm going to have to second the herbal essences..... but this is the lamest thread ever

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I vote LLBean. I used mine all though college & plan to take it to med school. I've never had a problem with the zippers on it (or other Bean bags), but if you do, they're great about replacing broken stuff.

As for shampoo, definitely go for Aussie! ;)

MsEvolution

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Iowa
Status
Attending Physician
I couldn't comment on all the brands coming up on this thread except for Jansport. I volunteered to try one of their new rubber-bottom packs in 1994 and the company gave us the pack for free in exchange for our comments. I used it all through college and even after... my kids used it as weekend bags, or I used it for travel... this year, the rubber bottom ripped and I sent it to Jansport to see if they would honor their "lifetime" warranty. They sent me a brand new pack within 2 weeks... if you think about it... I've paid $5 (shipping cost to send the damaged one to Jansport) for two very good quality packs. Cool!

So, I'll either be using that one... or the one that I know DMU will give us along with our school-issued laptops. :)

inthe4cast

What's in the 4-cast?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
DocPimp said:
I'm going to have to second the herbal essences..... but this is the lamest thread ever
Listen Bub,

Just because you might already have a backpack that fits your personality and meets your educational needs doesn't mean it isn't an important, and yes, vital necessity in getting through school and life in general for those of us who can't decide on which one to purchase.

I mean, if it were up to people of limited scope, no one would have invented the trolley pack, or the backpack on wheels, or the barney backster. If you're gonna go bashing threads, maybe you should start your own before you go picking on this one. :p

jhugti

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Status
MD/PhD Student
oakley (yes, like the sunglasses)

i've had mine for 5 years, put it through just about everything and its done great.

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Herbal Essence and Jansport. They're both reasonably priced and Jansport will replace any bag unconditionally (I bet Herbal Essence would, too). Will I need a protractor for medical school? Anyone suggest brands?

Addicted To SDN

Bueller...Bueller...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
In Neverland with Peter Pan
Status
erin682 said:

They have a lifetime guarantee. I had the same problem and I sent it in and received a brand new one. :D

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
musiclink213 said:
i am kinda partial to plastic bags myself. they come in loads of colors, friendly to your wallet, you can get them for free from any supermarket! and if it breaks, just go and get a new one.
:laugh: :laugh:

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you like messenger bags, go for waterfield (www.sfbags.com). Again, pricey, but you can't beat the quality. I have had mine for about 5 years and it still looks brand new.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
Jeez, people need to lighten up. What's wrong with asking people for some advice before dropping $100 on a bag?

Anyway, I have the timbuk2 commute (www.timbuk2.com), which is a pretty good messenger bag for carrying a laptop (the padded pocket is built in, you don't need a separate sleeve. Tons of pockets for everything (if you're OCD like me), and two external pockets that fit a nalgene bottle perfectly (and it doesn't fall out), two more external pockets for powerbars, and a zippered external pocket for your metrocard, wallet, etc. Only thing is it's not quite big enough for everything (one textbook, one binder, laptop), but it is really rugged and water resistant. Definitely get the shoulder strap pad add-on.

Also, I've seen the ones from Manhattan portage (www.manhattanportage.com) and those are even nicer. Pretty expensive, but the messenger bags are huge. Might be upgrading myself, check it out.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I gotta go with THE NORTH FACE again.

I paid about $30 for mine back before I started my freshman year of high school. I'm starting medical school this fall and there is NOTHING wrong with it. I'll probably have that thing for quite a few more years :D

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
Something with a *waist strap*!
Redistributing the crushing weight of your medical books will help you avoid back pain/ shoulder injuries/ TMJ (TMD)... all stuff I had from my old backpack. I got a Jansport that has worked well for a number of years.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Would you guys suggest I spend over $100 for a new backpack for this upcoming school year? Is it really worth it? Some of those bags I looked at from those web sites people posted are pretty pricey...

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Go to ao good sporting goods store (Dicks, Gaylans, etc), they should have good deals. Plus you can try it on.

Blue Scrub said:
Would you guys suggest I spend over $100 for a new backpack for this upcoming school year? Is it really worth it? Some of those bags I looked at from those web sites people posted are pretty pricey...