Backstabbing tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avex007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday a tech waived a 5 dollar copay without my permission. I didn't know he did it.
This morning the store manager called me and asked why the copay was waived. He told me to fix the copay to zero or he will let the Rx manager know.

How did he find out? Did this tech set me up?

I emailed the DM and cc HR. I also told RxM

When I tried to edit it, it was rejected.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m convinced that the OP is a troll.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I don't blame the tech for trying to get rid of you. You sound like a PITA to work with.

No need for advice. Since you are basically asking me to stop "drama". Suck it up and let techs bully me.

Huh? Is this is a big deal? I used to do it as an intern all the time and so did the SP and other pharmacist. We just left a note on their profile of amount of money they owe because patients come pick up medications and forgetting to carry enough for their copays. Patients usually pay back and we kept their balance at a maximum of $15~ owed. (Walgreens) My SP was the one who taught me to do this because our patients come driving from usually 20-60 minutes away and we can't tell them to waste $10 in gas because they didn't bring $3 for their Ventolin copay.

We are allowed to price modify copays? Store manager made it seem like a big deal. Tech did it when I wasn't aware.

Huh? Is this is a big deal? I used to do it as an intern all the time and so did the SP and other pharmacist. We just left a note on their profile of amount of money they owe because patients come pick up medications and forgetting to carry enough for their copays. Patients usually pay back and we kept their balance at a maximum of $15~ owed. (Walgreens) My SP was the one who taught me to do this because our patients come driving from usually 20-60 minutes away and we can't tell them to waste $10 in gas because they didn't bring $3 for their Ventolin copay.

We are allowed to price modify copays? Store manager made it seem like a big deal. Tech did it when I wasn't aware.
May be your store? We did price modify to let patients 'borrow' their copays. We also did it when some patients were having COB problems with their medication not going their their secondary for some reason. Those were a bit more tricky as we had to refund the patient once we got it through the secondary and had to refund the transaction and redo it with price modify to $0 technically it counted as the patient already picked up.

Is this the same tech you been complaining about in 3 different threads? Is this tech your ex or something? I highly doubt that you have a tech that comes into this walgreens or cvs every workday with plans to sabotage you... Just curious but how long have you been working as a pharmacist?

Reactions: 1 users
How many threads are you gonna create bro? Stick to one thread... “The workplace saga of Avex”

Is OP a bro? I thought it was a girl this whole time based on the drama he/she creates.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sexist much??

Never had any drama working with male pharmacists or techs, just saying. Or male nurses for that matter. It's mostly the women who gossip about each other and get into arguments. Dudes just talk about sports or don't talk at all. YMMV.

Last edited:
Never had any drama working with male pharmacists or techs, just saying. Or male nurses for that matter. It's mostly the women who gossip about each other and get into arguments. Dudes just talk about sports or don't talk at all. YMMV.
Says the guy that trolled me in every thread I was in and then blocks me.

• Haha
Haldol prn

• Haha

That's fair, haha. I've had essentially the same experience.

Write him up, case closed.....

Reactions: 1 user
Why would it matter if you waive the copay vs setting copay to zero? Either way it's a potential FCA and AKS violation

This thread is like watching paint dry.......

Interesting way of shifting blame also bad business practice. Customers don't take responsibility to bringing payment for a product they want and you reward it. How did they leave their houses without a wallet?

My impression with chain lower management is that you can have all the problems ya want...deal with 'em..ignore 'em..fix 'em ..just don't push them a level up..who cares if some huge chain loses 5 bucks or 500 bucks.....The real big shots barely know that they "manage" pharmacies

If you mess with copays and insurances find out, they will cancel your contract. It is criminal to mess with medicare/medicaid copay.

You can NOT change or waive copay after third party payor was billed. If you waived copay, you have to cancel the claim altogether, otherwise, it's insurance fraud/abuse. I know it doesn't make sense. Think it this way, insurance is an agreement of shared financial responsibility. You can't ask one party to pay for the whole deal. This is also the reason why pharmacies gave customers coupons all the time but they never let you use it on prescriptions.

You can NOT change or waive copay after third party payor was billed. If you waived copay, you have to cancel the claim altogether, otherwise, it's insurance fraud/abuse. I know it doesn't make sense. Think it this way, insurance is an agreement of shared financial responsibility. You can't ask one party to pay for the whole deal. This is also the reason why pharmacies gave customers coupons all the time but they never let you use it on prescriptions.

I do not understand. I always assumed that if you waive the customer's copay, i.e. submitting the claim but charging the customer nothing, the pharmacy simply eats the cost that should've been covered by the customer. You're simply shifting responsibility from the customer to the pharmacy. Is that not accurate?

Last edited:
tell that to all the shady independent pharmacies lol

this sounds like a cluster mess to deal with lol

I do not understand. I always assumed that if you waive the customer's copay, i.e. submitting the claim but charging the customer nothing, the pharmacy simply eats the cost that should've been covered by the customer. You're simply shifting responsibility from the customer to the pharmacy. Is that not accurate?

Why Can’t Co-Pays and Deductibles Be Waived?​

The main reason is the federal Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS). This rule prohibits any person from “knowingly and willfully” paying, offering, soliciting or receiving any remuneration, directly or indirectly, overtly or covertly, in cash or in kind, in exchange for or to induce the referral of any item or service covered by a federal health care program.
This prohibition comes, in part, from the underlying theories that financial conflicts of interest can affect sound medical judgment and/or lead to the overutilization of medical services.
The act criminalizes the payment of any funds or benefits designed to encourage a party to a provider for services to be paid for by a federal health care program.
If pharmacies routinely waive co-pays and deductibles, or advertise “no out-of-pocket costs,” they may be violating the AKS, the False Claims Act and the Civil Monetary Penalties law, for contributing to the overutilization of items and/or products paid for by the federal government.

Why Can’t Co-Pays and Deductibles Be Waived?​

The main reason is the federal Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS). This rule prohibits any person from “knowingly and willfully” paying, offering, soliciting or receiving any remuneration, directly or indirectly, overtly or covertly, in cash or in kind, in exchange for or to induce the referral of any item or service covered by a federal health care program.
This prohibition comes, in part, from the underlying theories that financial conflicts of interest can affect sound medical judgment and/or lead to the overutilization of medical services.
The act criminalizes the payment of any funds or benefits designed to encourage a party to a provider for services to be paid for by a federal health care program.
If pharmacies routinely waive co-pays and deductibles, or advertise “no out-of-pocket costs,” they may be violating the AKS, the False Claims Act and the Civil Monetary Penalties law, for contributing to the overutilization of items and/or products paid for by the federal government.

again tell that to all the independent pharmacies lol