Backup Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prehealth92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a backup plan in case I'm not accepted anywhere this cycle?
I don't plan on applying again after for financial reasons.
I've heard the following suggestions so far: a 2nd bachelors degree in computer science, information systems, or healthcare administration, or a master's degree in public health (healthcare administration).
I'm not pre-med, but I thought I might get more replies here.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused by your logic. Its too expensive to reapply, but not too expensive to go back to school for a 2nd bachelor's degree?

I've heard the following suggestions so far: a 2nd bachelors degree in computer science, information systems, or healthcare administration, or a master's degree in public health (healthcare administration).
Would recommend masters. Also how is a 2nd bachelors cheaper than applying again?

Members don't see this ad :)

What are the goals for this back-up plan? To help you get a job? To give you the best shot at financial security? To allow you to work in health care?

Wait...you're not premed but you're applying this cycle?

So what do you want to do? Shouldn't that be a factor?...

I'm confused by your logic. Its too expensive to reapply, but not too expensive to go back to school for a 2nd bachelor's degree?
Well, I only have a bachelors in science and little experience, so I'll most likely work low paying jobs for a while until I get in to school somewhere. In the longterm, if I start a stable career sooner, I'll be able to pay off loans and save money sooner. But, you're correct in that for now, it's cheaper to just reapply and work.

Would recommend masters. Also how is a 2nd bachelors cheaper than applying again?
I was mainly focusing on the longterm and the interest on my loans since I won't be able to pay them with my job now. Do you recommend a specific masters program?

What are the goals for this back-up plan? To help you get a job? To give you the best shot at financial security? To allow you to work in health care?
Yes, my goal is to find a stable job with financial security as soon as possible (if I'm rejected this cycle). It doesn't have to be in health care. I would like to have hope for a better future instead of continuing to live off of a low income without knowing for sure what will happen next.

The thing is, if you get into medical school you're going to accrue another $250k of loans, possibly more.

What are your stats like for admissions and what was your GPA from your college (the one graduate schools see, not the AACOMAS/AMCAS one)?

So what do you want to do? Shouldn't that be a factor?...
Well, I think I will be equally content in any of those back up plan careers as long as I have financial stability. But, I think computer science is a little more interesting than the others.