Backup Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skoaner

Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems every professor and other advisor I talk to says have a backup plan should the unthinkable happen (you don't get in). What is your real backup plan and what do you tell interviewers?

Skoaner: Real - ?? / Interviewers - Get Ph.D. & Reapply

Members don't see this ad.

skoaner said:
It seems every professor and other advisor I talk to says have a backup plan should the unthinkable happen (you don't get in). What is your real backup plan and what do you tell interviewers?

Skoaner: Real - ?? / Interviewers - Get Ph.D. & Reapply

I enrolled in a Ph.D program. I am in the process of reapplication.

mine was either to keep doing engineering or to become a registered dietician or some kind of clinical psychologist... more likely one of the last two cause i don't know if i could handle doing engineering forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing a BUsiness/Premed program so I will get out with a degree in accounting. If i don't get into med school I will either go into research or work at a biotech firm doing some accounting.

Dental School :D

goheel said:
Dental School :D

Ditoo :laugh:

or i might do something with psychology...since i acutualy like that stuff also....

oh, dental school is a good one. maybe i would have done that. i forgot how for a while i was even debating whether to do medicine or dentistry. it was really just cause of worries about lifestyle in medicine, though, and i got over those pretty fast, so the dentristry thing was just a phase. but yeah, i could have totally gone for that if the whole medicine thing didn't work out.

LauraMac said:
mine was either to keep doing engineering or to become a registered dietician or some kind of clinical psychologist... more likely one of the last two cause i don't know if i could handle doing engineering forever.

accredited clinical psych programs are just as hard , if not harder, to get into as med school. probably not the best fall back plan for most unless you have a ton of psych research experience.

CarleneM said:
accredited clinical psych programs are just as hard , if not harder, to get into as med school. probably not the best fall back plan for most unless you have a ton of psych research experience.

interesting, i had no idea it was so hard. it still would have been a back up plan, though, cause i think it would be a great job to have. i would just maybe need yet another back up plan. :p

got master's degree as a physician assistant. great dough, same medicine.

if it wasn't for my pride/ego, i'd keep with this.

gotta get those two initials behind my name to help me sleep at night.

Are some of these master post bacc programs worth their cost? Do you think the Georgetown or UPenn programs specifically for people who have applied to med school and failed actually make a difference when you reapply?

I feel like if I dont get in it will be because of my science GPA and where I took the courses rather than my ECs or MCAT so...

USCTex said:
Are some of these master post bacc programs worth their cost? Do you think the Georgetown or UPenn programs specifically for people who have applied to med school and failed actually make a difference when you reapply?

I feel like if I dont get in it will be because of my science GPA and where I took the courses rather than my ECs or MCAT so...

I personally have no idea about post bacc programs, but feel that you would probarbly fare better to start a new thread w/ this.

apply, re-apply, and then apply some more. Thats my backup plan - I couldnt picture myself doing anything else besides medicine as a career.

ArmyDoc21 said:
apply, re-apply, and then apply some more. Thats my backup plan - I couldnt picture myself doing anything else besides medicine as a career.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If this is your goal people, this is the attitude you need to have and the bar that truely weeds out the ones who really want to become doctors. There are always options, going to do a post bacc, IMG, etc. Your backup plan should be to study and re-apply with a better application...take advice from those who have been through the process and go at it. Now, some people are just not cut for it, and those are the ones who will be satisfied with "oh, im going back to my old job, this sucks." Good, you probably belong there. But those who really want it, will try until they are 40!!

This thread is depressing, I'm outty :mad: