Backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flesnowdaone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a non-trad applying to med schools this cycle, but applied late, and finished all the secondaries about 3 weeks ago. I have 3.7, 30 (11P, 8V, 11B) after 3rd try and about 2 years of research experience with no publications. I also have ~2 years of volunteering at a student-run free clinic and 2 years of army experience in a foreign country as a medic. I applied to 35 schools mostly in mid and low tiers.

I know I should keep my hopes up, but I am trying to be realistic and thinking about backup plans if I don't get in this cycle. I am thinking about retaking MCAT and applying for masters programs. I've look into SMP and MPH, but I am not sure which school program would give me a great edge to get in. Many MPH programs require GRE and most deadlines are in December -Jan, so i don't have much time to apply.

What are some options to consider in my position like what I should do while waiting for the schools, backup programs to apply to, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am a non-trad applying to med schools this cycle, but applied late, and finished all the secondaries about 3 weeks ago. I have 3.7, 30 (11P, 8V, 11B) after 3rd try and about 2 years of research experience with no publications. I also have ~2 years of volunteering at a student-run free clinic and 2 years of army experience in a foreign country as a medic. I applied to 35 schools mostly in mid and low tiers.

I know I should keep my hopes up, but I am trying to be realistic and thinking about backup plans if I don't get in this cycle. I am thinking about retaking MCAT and applying for masters programs. I've look into SMP and MPH, but I am not sure which school program would give me a great edge to get in. Many MPH programs require GRE and most deadlines are in December -Jan, so i don't have much time to apply.

What are some options to consider in my position like what I should do while waiting for the schools, backup programs to apply to, etc?

Thanks!

An SMP is intended for low GPA students to prove they can handle med school, so it would be pointless in your case. An MPH would have very little impact on your chances. Your best bet would be to simply apply early and broadly next cycle, working at he best job you can find in the mean time while keeping your ECs up. :luck:

Agree with the previous post. Boost up your ECs and apply early next time. You application seems to be pretty late right now but you still have a chance. If you feel you can get past a 30 then go for it, otherwise don't risk it because a 30 is just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
An SMP is intended for low GPA students to prove they can handle med school, so it would be pointless in your case. An MPH would have very little impact on your chances. Your best bet would be to simply apply early and broadly next cycle, working at he best job you can find in the mean time while keeping your ECs up. :luck:
I agree, except don't apply broadly. Apply specifically to schools with a record of taking students with stats like yours from OOS. There are plenty.

If it comes to it, apply DO.

Thank you guys for some insights. So, is reapplying early with more EC to do prolly the only good option for me? I do have some decrease in my GPA in my junior year. Does this trend in GPA matter much at all or should i not care about it at this point since I can't change it?