You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Bad back
Started by Okmedstudent85
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pathology is what comes to mind. Any other surgical speciality requires you to stand. General surgery, plastics, urology, cardio, neuro, ob/gyn.. I can't even think of a time I saw a surgeon sitting in the OR.
How bad is your back? Can you stand in place for several hours or are you worried about bending over?
How bad is your back? Can you stand in place for several hours or are you worried about bending over?
It is standing in one place for awhile that bothers it. If i am moving it is okay, I can handle an hour, hour and half okay but around 2 hours or so it starts hurting if i am standing in one place aka holding a retractor in a long surgery
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ophtho.
It is standing in one place for awhile that bothers it. If i am moving it is okay, I can handle an hour, hour and half okay but around 2 hours or so it starts hurting if i am standing in one place aka holding a retractor in a long surgery
Without getting overly personal, is this a permanent problem or something rehab-able?
Ophtho.
this. I spent some significant time shadowing an ophthalmologist I know and the only time I saw him stand was during his walks between the clinic and OR
What surgery speciality allows you to do procedures sitting down? If not surgical what about a procedure oriented speciality? Thanks
All surgery is going to be robotic. Just wait about 50 years and you are good to go!
I'd say path is the only one you can do sitting. Maybe with a Heme-Path fellowship.
If by robotic surgery you mean sky-net taking over and chopping us up, then yes.All surgery is going to be robotic. Just wait about 50 years and you are good to go!
I'd say path is the only one you can do sitting. Maybe with a Heme-Path fellowship.
Hand surgery.
But you have to endure an ortho residency first, which requires some serious lifting.
But you have to endure an ortho residency first, which requires some serious lifting.
I saw some serious sitting on neurosurg under the scopes. Usually always started with 2-3 hours of standing while they opened the hood, however.
Along the lines of facetguy's post - whether it's a fixable problem or not - have you tried getting better shoes? I bought some nicer shoes and got some inserts and it has made some of the longer cardiothoracic surgeries (6-7 hour) I've watched more tolerable.
Oral surgery in private practice- the surgeon I nannied for did a ton of wisdom teeth removals and he did them all sitting. The training might be harder- he was at a Level 1 trauma center and did a lot of facial reconstruction procedures before going into private practice.
Along the lines of facetguy's post - whether it's a fixable problem or not - have you tried getting better shoes? I bought some nicer shoes and got some inserts and it has made some of the longer cardiothoracic surgeries (6-7 hour) I've watched more tolerable.
Thanks for the ideas guys. It is not really anything thats fixable. I could have surgery but if i did that now it would be worse off.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the ideas guys. It is not really anything thats fixable. I could have surgery but if i did that now it would be worse off.
I used to be a cop. Somebody rear ended my patrol car at 80 MPH. I herniated two discs in my lower back. I feel your pain, literally
I'm willing to bet you can find a way to do any specialty you want to do. Sometimes it just takes being honest with your attendings/trainers, getting creative, and working hard.
Good luck. Feel free to PM if you want to know some things that I have done to get around my abilities.
ENT
Tubes, tonsils, direct laryngoscopy, ear surgery...all sitting down
Tubes, tonsils, direct laryngoscopy, ear surgery...all sitting down
What surgery speciality allows you to do procedures sitting down? If not surgical what about a procedure oriented speciality? Thanks
strengthen your back w deadlifts
strengthen your back w deadlifts
Question:
I've been warned a lot about having proper technique with deadlifts. Is that something I could legitimately learn off of a youtube video or is it absolutely necessary to be taught by a trainer?
~Kalyx
Question:
I've been warned a lot about having proper technique with deadlifts. Is that something I could legitimately learn off of a youtube video or is it absolutely necessary to be taught by a trainer?
~Kalyx
check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, for a comprehensive intro to deadlifting or check out his youtube vids.
check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, for a comprehensive intro to deadlifting or check out his youtube vids.
Thanks! Will do.
~Kalyx
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 22
- Views
- 5K