Mar 6, 2010
Status
What surgery speciality allows you to do procedures sitting down? If not surgical what about a procedure oriented speciality? Thanks

Jul 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Pathology is what comes to mind. Any other surgical speciality requires you to stand. General surgery, plastics, urology, cardio, neuro, ob/gyn.. I can't even think of a time I saw a surgeon sitting in the OR.

How bad is your back? Can you stand in place for several hours or are you worried about bending over?

Mar 6, 2010
Status
It is standing in one place for awhile that bothers it. If i am moving it is okay, I can handle an hour, hour and half okay but around 2 hours or so it starts hurting if i am standing in one place aka holding a retractor in a long surgery

About the Ads

facetguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status
It is standing in one place for awhile that bothers it. If i am moving it is okay, I can handle an hour, hour and half okay but around 2 hours or so it starts hurting if i am standing in one place aka holding a retractor in a long surgery
Without getting overly personal, is this a permanent problem or something rehab-able?

OveractiveBrain

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 15, 2009
Dirty Dirt
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What surgery speciality allows you to do procedures sitting down? If not surgical what about a procedure oriented speciality? Thanks
All surgery is going to be robotic. Just wait about 50 years and you are good to go!

I'd say path is the only one you can do sitting. Maybe with a Heme-Path fellowship.

Alvarez13

PGEEE2 mediates FEEEVER
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
All surgery is going to be robotic. Just wait about 50 years and you are good to go!

I'd say path is the only one you can do sitting. Maybe with a Heme-Path fellowship.
If by robotic surgery you mean sky-net taking over and chopping us up, then yes.

VisionaryTics

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hand surgery.

But you have to endure an ortho residency first, which requires some serious lifting.

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I saw some serious sitting on neurosurg under the scopes. Usually always started with 2-3 hours of standing while they opened the hood, however.

DVolle

7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2011
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not having much experience, most of what I've saw of urologists using the da Vinci robotics system involved the surgeons sitting down. That may make urology a possibility.

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
rad onc? i think there's some sitting there

Dec 7, 2009
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Along the lines of facetguy's post - whether it's a fixable problem or not - have you tried getting better shoes? I bought some nicer shoes and got some inserts and it has made some of the longer cardiothoracic surgeries (6-7 hour) I've watched more tolerable.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oral surgery in private practice- the surgeon I nannied for did a ton of wisdom teeth removals and he did them all sitting. The training might be harder- he was at a Level 1 trauma center and did a lot of facial reconstruction procedures before going into private practice.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Along the lines of facetguy's post - whether it's a fixable problem or not - have you tried getting better shoes? I bought some nicer shoes and got some inserts and it has made some of the longer cardiothoracic surgeries (6-7 hour) I've watched more tolerable.
Thanks for the ideas guys. It is not really anything thats fixable. I could have surgery but if i did that now it would be worse off.

OneTyme

Kickin' it ol' school
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks for the ideas guys. It is not really anything thats fixable. I could have surgery but if i did that now it would be worse off.
I used to be a cop. Somebody rear ended my patrol car at 80 MPH. I herniated two discs in my lower back. I feel your pain, literally

I'm willing to bet you can find a way to do any specialty you want to do. Sometimes it just takes being honest with your attendings/trainers, getting creative, and working hard.

Good luck. Feel free to PM if you want to know some things that I have done to get around my abilities.

isoquin

Allopathetic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Agree with bowtie. Optho is sitting surgery, but I know a lot of surgery people who don't get the same satisfaction out of it compared to, say, being in an abdomen.

Kalyx

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
strengthen your back w deadlifts
Question:

I've been warned a lot about having proper technique with deadlifts. Is that something I could legitimately learn off of a youtube video or is it absolutely necessary to be taught by a trainer?

~Kalyx

patel2

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Question:

I've been warned a lot about having proper technique with deadlifts. Is that something I could legitimately learn off of a youtube video or is it absolutely necessary to be taught by a trainer?

~Kalyx
check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, for a comprehensive intro to deadlifting or check out his youtube vids.

About the Ads