Bad First Semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a freshman at Texas A&M University majoring in Biology. Adjusting to college during my first semester has been tough, but I am starting to get used to it. Finals are coming up, and I am nervous about my grades in a few classes. I am expecting either A's or B's in my Biology and Chemistry lectures; however, it doesn't look very promising after that. I currently have a C in calculus, and at this point in the semester, my goal is to just maintain the C. Also, I did terribly on my chemistry lab final, but there is supposed to be a huge curve on it, but I am still very disappointed in my performance. Considering that Dental Schools focus on sciences, how much will a bad first semester affect my chances of getting accepted to dental school?

All feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

They understand that you're still adjusting to college life, which is harder for some more than others. The important thing is to have an upward trend, which will look good since your classes later on will be more advanced than just the intro stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
It's really not bad, getting an A/B in chem and bio is solid for first semester and that C won't hurt you in the long run. Just try to keep your GPA above 3.7 from now on and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got 3 C's in undergrad and Accepted Dec 1st (Granted I'm a masters student, but as long as you don't get too many C's , you should fine)

Got like 6 C's and an F in undergrad and got accepts last week. They were all earlier in my college career. Maintained about a 3.7-3.8 since then. They care about what you've done recently but make sure you don't slip up again cause it's a tough hole to climb out of once your GPA starts low.