Bad first semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojoinak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm currently wrapping up my freshman year pursuing a degree in Biology, like many first year students I took the first semester kind of lightly and ended up with a 3.2 gpa for first semester.My science classes, along with my labs were great with a B+ in Chem and an A in BIO, what was bringing my gpa down were my first-year courses (History & Writing).My second semester is wrapping up and if I did my calculation correctly I should be around the 3.48-3.6 range for GPA. I have a love for science and eventually want to go somewhere (MD or DO) after my time here. I have read so many different stories about schools closely critiquing GPA to them not even caring about solely focusing on the MCAT. I have numerous EC under my belt, play sports at the college, and have already started studying for the MCAT. My question is will a program overlook me because of that first semester even though I did well in my sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is will a program overlook me because of that first semester even though I did well in my sciences.

Assuming you've taken 15 credit hour semesters, you only have 30 credit hours under your belt, which is 25% of your undergraduate degree. Medical schools understand that there is a learning curve, especially when making the transition from high school to college. As long as you maintain a good GPA/an upward trend (especially in your last 60 hours (or Junior/Senior years)), you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
No point in studying for ur MCAT atm mate - do that end of sophomore year earliest

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you've taken 15 credit hour semesters, you only have 30 credit hours under your belt, which is 25% of your undergraduate degree. Medical schools understand that there is a learning curve, especially when making the transition from high school to college. As long as you maintain a good GPA/an upward trend (especially in your last 60 hours (or Junior/Senior years)), you'll be fine!

Thank you so much !!!!!

Hello I'm currently wrapping up my freshman year pursuing a degree in Biology, like many first year students I took the first semester kind of lightly and ended up with a 3.2 gpa for first semester.My science classes, along with my labs were great with a B+ in Chem and an A in BIO, what was bringing my gpa down were my first-year courses (History & Writing).My second semester is wrapping up and if I did my calculation correctly I should be around the 3.48-3.6 range for GPA. I have a love for science and eventually want to go somewhere (MD or DO) after my time here. I have read so many different stories about schools closely critiquing GPA to them not even caring about solely focusing on the MCAT. I have numerous EC under my belt, play sports at the college, and have already started studying for the MCAT. My question is will a program overlook me because of that first semester even though I did well in my sciences.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. For your first year, you're starting off better than many others. Focus on keeping an upward trend with your GPA throughout your remaining years, and I'm sure you'll be fine.