bad first year, need confidence...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarsolostogo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just finished my first year of college and i failed a math class so my GPA suffered because of that. also i wasn't ready for college level science classes.

realistically I can get my GPA up to a 3.38-3.4 and my science GPA up to 3.3 by the end of my college career and if, hypothetically, i score 30 on the MCATs, what are my chances at a US med school?

For EC, i'll have worked as an EEG technologist for about 3 years and have volunteered at a hospital for 2 years. there are other things i'll have participated in, but this is what I have going on now.

also, how much does the quality of a person's undergraduate school factor in how admissions officers look at grades?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your actual GPA?? If this is your first year you can get your GPA up to 3.5 if you actually get As and one or two Bs. Get confidence and try hard, get help if you need it with any particular subject like math. you said that you failed it so you need to get a tutor to improve. Speaking about the MCAT I think is too early to speculate scores. Focus in getting up your GPA. Don't take 18 or 21 credits if you can't make As. Instead take 12 or 15 credits during regular semester and then take summer to complete the classes that you need. Try to make study habits and NEVER procastinate in science and math courses because you wont make good grades. Again, focus in your GPA and try to get it up!!!

Good Luck!!!

thanks for the advice!
after 3 quarters my GPA is a 2.5. but i plan on taking 13 more quarters before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
My freshman yr GPA was about the sane as yours (about a 2.7). I got 4.0 GPA from then on out and now stand a pretty decent chance this cycle. It can be done if you have the motivation which will depend on how much you want to make that dream reality. Keep in mind only 40% of applicants get in each year and many are reapplicants. Good Luck. Also, if you haven't started volunteering you need to be in the ER asap.

I had a 3.2 my first year and a 2.6 the second. I won't say I came out in good shape, but You're definitely still in a position to pull your GPA up to a comfortable level. Work hard and maul your classes. Don't be like me and put yourself in a position where you have to fight for every chance.