Bad first year undergrad? Chances for dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimsonX

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and i'm just wondering if I'm out of the running for admission to dental school because of a pretty terrible freshman year ending with a gpa of 3.00. I 100% should've studied harder and i just didn't adjust well to just relaxing in high school to all the distractions in college (especially with covid and the online learning..). In the end I really have no excuse for my poor performance, but I don't want one bad year or rather course to tank my chances of getting into dental school post undergrad.
I got a lot of A's, A+'s, and A-'s, but I just did really poorly on one full year course. I do feel like I can do much better and I have since changed my study habits since the start of school this year. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do? (extracurriculars, strategies, etc). Am I out of contention? Thanks so much for answering.

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely not out of contention for anything right now. Pull yourself back together and you can recover. Reevaluate your study strategies. Look up new methods like flashcards and Pomodoro technique and see different time management tools. Lots of people do poorly in their freshman year due to the transition period which was made even harder during Covid.

you can do this!