Aug 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! I've been lurking a lot and decided to finally post. I am an incoming Biochem major and am absolutely certain that I am applying to med school in a few years. With that being said, I just got my schedule for my freshman year of college and I'm nervous because I feel like it's not strong at all and it's holding me back. The classes I am taking this fall are:
College Algebra
Applications of Chemistry (they placed me into this class, it is the class you take before General Chem if they feel you are not "strong" enough in the sciences)
Intro to Academic Discourse (English) (we were supposed to take an English placement test and I procrastinated and never took mine, so I got placed into this class.)
Freshman Seminar
A GenEd

I feel that my classes aren't strong and this will hurt me in the future, though there's not much I can do about it now except excel in them. Any comments/advice? Thanks in advance!

lexington251

2+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student
A high GPA matters more than how "strong" a class is, especially as a freshmen. Relax.

BoysWhoCry

2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel like with the way the MCAT is scheduled, you will need to take a gap year before med school with this schedule.

DingoPingo

5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If you get placed into a "weaker" class, then you probably should be taking that class. If you want to prove them wrong, then get an A+ and then try to get into higher placement. Otherwise it is for the best. If you want to apply to medical school, you want high grades in easy classes, not low grades in hard classes.

You are doing yourself a favor for taking it as easy as possible, especially for freshman year.

Good luck!

Reactions: Turkishking

Prilozack

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Wherever Your Heart Palpitates
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Too early to freak out as a freshman. Take good classes, keep the GPA high, study things outside of class (not even course requirements), internships, make connections with people in the community, etc. Then start worrying more summer of Junior year and senior year