Bad gpa freshman an 1st semester sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM504

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did bad freshman year and 1st semester of sophomore year ending with a 2.8 due to family issues. I have 5 semesters left, If I were to get above a 3.7 each of these semesters would that suffice for med school is the gpa cateogory?

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you do the math?

You've completed 3 semester so far with a current GPA of 2.8.
You have 5 more semesters of college.

If you were to get a 3.7 every semester from now on, your GPA would be 3.36 at graduation.
If you were to get a 4.0 every semester from now on, your GPA would be 3.55 at graduation.

These are both on the low end scale of the GPA brackets for MD schools, but it would show a strong upward progression (a good thing).

Your GPA would definitely be a weakness in your application, but a DO program might be more forgiving.

I did bad freshman year and 1st semester of sophomore year ending with a 2.8 due to family issues. I have 5 semesters left, If I were to get above a 3.7 each of these semesters would that suffice for med school is the gpa cateogory?

As the above poster said, getting a 3.7 every semester until you graduate will still only give you a 3.36 overall GPA, which will rule out many US MD schools. DO schools will be more forgiving of a lower GPA, so you should consider the possibility of doing DO.

Also, with a low GPA, MCAT score becomes even more important. You should be aiming for 35+ to offset the low GPA somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I still have a chance at MD?

Do I still have a chance at MD?
Yes, you have a chance.

You just need to be aware that even if you get a 3.55, that GPA will be at or below the 10th percentile for most schools.

You'll need to do really well on your MCAT, and the rest of your application will have to be very strong (e.g. EC, essays, shadowing).

Okay correction I have a 2.93, with 5 semesters left. I'm defiantly I'm going to try my hardest to get 4.0 for my remaining semesters. What would my GPA be in the end?

You have a chance if you bring up your GPA, but also have very meaningful ECs. Many schools want more than a GPA and MCAT, well all do but some emphasize being well rounded with ECs and meaningful volunteer work (with leadership experience) and will take you over someone who flew straight and narrow for 4 years.