bad grade twice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by devthakur, Sep 30, 2002.

1. devthakur

devthakur Junior Member

Hi, I've only posted to this forum a few times before.

I have GPA = 3.61, MCAT=37S, good clinical experience but a lack of other experience . . .

My question is: I got a C twice in the same stupid neuropsychology course that I took as an elective. . . how are med schools going to look at that? How can I explain that if its brought up in interviews?

thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

it's probably not a big deal, since your other stats are really good. if you have lots of ec's i bet many schools will overlook it. most people have a weakness. some get lucky and it doesn't show on their med school apps!

as for how to explain it... hmm... i dunno! why did you get a C both times? i always think it's best to be honest.

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

something tells me that with a 3.6 and 37S med schools wont kick you out of bed for eating crackers..

5. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

ah, another bragger.

isn't that too shallow? how can u be a doctor if u want to brag all the time?

if you can't even figure out an answer for your own simple question, maybe you are unfit for this career.

6. slindsay198

slindsay198 Member

first, i think by this time we're all aware of the fact that youngjock is nothing more than an annoying troll. s/he should be ignored in the hopes that perhaps it will disappear.

dev, congrats on the good marks. i don't think adcoms will look to poorly on you double-C. just be honest...don't try to make up an elaborate story. they'll see right through it. good luck.

Scott-MSII
    PCOM class of 2005

7. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

I agree...to a point. At least a troll knows his/her place and that's in the forest.:D

Youngjock...you're just jealous of dev's stats! And because you're a jealous, bitter person...HOW DO YOU PLAN TO SUCCEED IN MEDICINE?!! Don't you know that you have to work with other physicians and health professionals? Your character would clash with the teamwork mentality of the medical field. Please...GROW UP!

8. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    To jump to YoungJocks' aid somewhat.......:rolleyes:
    I understand your frustration with those with 3.9gpa, and 48Z on the mcat asking about their chances of getting into medical school because they didn't quite manage to find the cure for cancer....
    devthakur,

Your stats are really great and you shouldn't worry too much about that C....nobody is perfect. I mean if you gpa is fine, ur mcats are great,you have EC's but you managed to do bad in one subject...it's not going to kill you. I got a C+ in Orgo I and in Physics II and a below average Mcat score and I still got interviews...didn't get in but I got interviews and not once did they question the C's and I am SURE that I wasn't rejected because of my C's (but because of the mcat score).

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

dev has a legit question..he/she is someone who has obviously worked their @$$ off, and are asking whether or not some minor screw ups will kill their app..I don't think they will...Anyone who b!tches about him asking is just a troll.

10. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare

At least he's not as communist as you are.

Commie.

11. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'm not sure if i completely agree with the above posts. If the original poster is interested in academic medicine, then he ought to shoot for the best programs. a 3.6 GPA could be a real and tangible problem for some programs, particularly UCs if you are out of state.

so the short answer is, will you get into med school? yes. will you get into a program of your choice? probably not. I'm being very frank here

12. Lady MD

Lady MD Member

I wouldn't focus on it (as in, don't bring it up in the interview, unless it's brought up first). If you're well-rounded enough, it won't hurt you that bad... Best of luck to you. :)

13. SMW

SMW Grand Member

:rolleyes:

No one can possibly say whether or not the OP will get into the school of his/her choice. With those stats, s/he ought to go for it. Many, many people get into great schools with worse stats. Heck, I got into a top 10 with 7 points lower on the MCAT and a lower GPA.

Don't let anyone discourage you, devthakur! :) And don't worry about those C's. If it comes up, just give an honest answer, but don't bring it up. If you've applied to a wide variety of well-chosen programs, and the rest of your app is as strong or stronger than your stats, then I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised at which school's are interested in you! Best of luck!!! :D