Bad idea to apply to only one school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave637

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post. So I'm kind of freaking out a little, because it's application deadline season and currently I'm only applying to one AuD program--the CUNY Grad Center.

I have a good GPA (3.9), and decent GRE scores (1190 total, 660 on verbal but only a 530 on math). CUNY doesn't require any audiology classes as pre-reqs, and I anyway don't have any of those classes, although I have completed the few science pre-reqs that they require.

I have literally every part of my application completed--I am just anxiously still waiting for a transcript to arrive from one of the colleges I previously attended.

The deadline for CUNY is Feb 1. CUNY is the only school I applied to--I live in NYC and would like to stay there for grad school, but now I'm getting nervous that I may not get in.

So guys, how good of a shot do you think I have?

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

you sure they don't require a pre-req in communication sciences? last time i checked they did. to answer your question regarding applying to only 1 school, thats a big risk you're taking. you could've applied to adelphi as well if you wanted to stay in NY. I never did like the idea of having to go to 3 different campuses for both of the programs. CUNY is a difficult program to get into, the gpa and gre seem to be there. these aren't the only things looked at though, don't forget letters of rec and your personal statement.

you sure they don't require a pre-req in communication sciences?

yea they definitely don't--just rechecked the website--you need 1 biological science, one physical science, 2 psych or socio courses, 1 math, and 1 writing course

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dave,

This is my first post, too, although I've actually been reading the forum for a few weeks now. You're right that CUNY doesn't require a background in CSD. According to ASHA's website, your GPA is high for CUNY, but your math score is low...but then again, your verbal score is high. I wouldn't assume CUNY is a sure thing, but I do expect that you'll get in.

There's no point in sweating about it now, anyway, unless you can find more of a safety school that has a late due date or rolling admissions AND doesn't require a background in CSD. I would recommend checking Nova Southeastern University, because I know they have rolling admissions and they don't ask for GRE scores. You'd be a shoo-in...as long as they don't ask for CSD prereqs, and I'm not sure whether they do or don't.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Audie

ETA: I just checked, and I'm pretty sure Nova doesn't require CSD prereqs. The school is in Ft. Lauderdale, which is, of course, very different from NYC, but is a great area nonetheless and actually has a lot of New Yorkers in it. One drawback is that the school is expensive.

Dave,

Your GPA and GRE score seem impressive, although you don't have a background in communication sciences and disorders. The CUNY program encourages diversity, so your non-traditional background (not sure what your bachelor's degree is in) may actually benefit you rather than hurt you.

I definitely think that only applying to one program is incredibly risky. In addition, only applying to the CUNY program increases the risk factor.

If you are planning on remaining in NY you may want to consider applying to the Long Island Consortium which may be considered a "safety school," for you, in particular. Just my two cents...

Good luck with whichever decision you make.

I would agree that applying to one school is risky... you could apply to some schools around NYC. There are some in neighboring states.. Virginia, NJ.. ect.. The deadlines are approaching fast and I would possibly look into one more school.

Hope this helps!!

I only applied to one, and got in! Although I applied back in October and was accepted in January - if anything went wrong, I could have applied elsewhere.

Your gpa/scores are excellent, and I think you'll get in for sure. Look around and see if there are any schools with rolling admissions that you could apply to in the event that you don't get in there. If you can find one you like, I say apply to only one school in the mean time!