How many Audiology Schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopetobeAuD

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there! I am applying to the only 3 audiology schools in my state. I want to hopefully pay in state tuition. Should I apply to a few more out of state just to look more competitive/ make my chances greater? How many is TOO many and how many is NOT ENOUGH?

THANK YOU!!!!
 
Hi there! I am applying to the only 3 audiology schools in my state. I want to hopefully pay in state tuition. Should I apply to a few more out of state just to look more competitive/ make my chances greater? How many is TOO many and how many is NOT ENOUGH?

THANK YOU!!!!

It's really not too significant a difference in terms of tuition once you're at the graduate level like it was for undergrad. For example, at my university I only pay about 2k more annually than I would've at another university in my home state. What matters is that you get accepted somewhere right? Otherwise, you have to sit out a whole year for the next application cycle. I highly recommend applying to more schools. You can always wait for your preferred school's replies before making a final decision, but you can't really add any if you get too far into the application cycle. I would say a fair number is 6-7 schools. I personally applied to 9 graduate programs, I know some who applied to 20, and some who applied to 2. However, those who applied to fewer regretted it later on because they wound up sitting out a year and having to reapply the following year because they didn't get in on that first try. Good luck!
 
Hi there! I am applying to the only 3 audiology schools in my state. I want to hopefully pay in state tuition. Should I apply to a few more out of state just to look more competitive/ make my chances greater? How many is TOO many and how many is NOT ENOUGH?

THANK YOU!!!!

How many programs are on your list now? The person above provided a good perspective on the application process. I applied to 7 programs, and I'd say the average is 5-10 (at least for students on the east coast). I am a third year AuD student in a program located in the Midwest. Some of my classmates from the Midwest only applied to 1-2 programs. In my opinion, that is risky.

I understand that you want to stay in-state for tuition purposes. Smart! Some programs don't really advertise tuition/graduate assistantships, so it doesn't hurt to ask program directors about that information. For example, I am halfway across the country pursuing an AuD because I got in-state tuition and a GA all three years on campus. Tuition costs can be quite different between AuD programs when you factor in a GA/tuition reduction. Just keep that in mind 🙂

Good luck!