Bad Major Choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronicOxidant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman chemistry major at a college known for an especially hard chemistry program. While I am definitely set on choosing the chemistry major, I'm not sure if it was a good decision, given how much emphasis medical schools place on GPA. On top of that, I'm also definitely adding an electrical engineering minor, if not full-blown double major. Our school is also known for how difficult its EE/CS classes are, so again I'm very hesitant on whether or not I should back out and choose easier classes, or go for what I'm really interested in, at the potential expense of my GPA.

Before you tell me that I just shouldn't apply to medical school, I genuinely am interested in medicine and its connection to chemistry. If I went to medical school, I would most likely specialize in anesthesiology or pharmaceutical science. In any case, I'd like to know how I should do, since I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because your major has little to no bearing on your med school admission or your experience as a med student:

1. Pick a major you enjoy
2. Pick a major that allows you enough time to take and complete your premed classes
3. Pick a major that you can maintain a competitive GPA in.

All that matters is that you have a competitive GPA and you complete premed requirements. Aside from that ensure you have time for your premed extracurriculars and mcat studying

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a freshman chemistry major at a college known for an especially hard chemistry program. While I am definitely set on choosing the chemistry major, I'm not sure if it was a good decision, given how much emphasis medical schools place on GPA. On top of that, I'm also definitely adding an electrical engineering minor, if not full-blown double major. Our school is also known for how difficult its EE/CS classes are, so again I'm very hesitant on whether or not I should back out and choose easier classes, or go for what I'm really interested in, at the potential expense of my GPA. Before you tell me that I just shouldn't apply to medical school, I genuinely am interested in medicine and its connection to chemistry. If I went to medical school, I would most likely specialize in anesthesiology or pharmaceutical science. In any case, I'd like to know how I should do, since I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place right now.

Pursue what you love. Then pursue what you're interested in. Then consider job opportunities. You have time. Enjoy exploring your options, but try to set aside half an hour to look into what they are actually about so you can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick the major you like. It doesn't matter as long as you keep your grades up.

Agreed with the above posts. Also if you like chemistry and think you can do well in it then go for it (I'm biased in my opinion since I had done something similar being a ChemE/Biochem - though I wasn't a fan of any of the EE classes I took). You really have until the end of your sophomore year to build a strong GPA. That is if you can maintain a 3.7+ until the end of your 2nd year, the way GPAs are counted (very front heavy) then you should come out with a competitive GPA by the time you graduate barring no complications. If you can not stay within that range for your first 2 years then it's not the end of the line but it will be an uphill battle if you choose to go to med school. Just keep that in mind.

Do the chem major- if your interests are really in pharm, you may find yourself wanting to do a PhD instead.

Two of my profs were researchers who designed a drug and work for the dept of anesthesia and crit care at our med school. One got his MD/PhD in the 70s and the other is a PhD. Keep your options open by majoring in chem or biochem because you don't know which path you will want to take

(And I took an undergrad class that was about pain pathways, the biochemistry of anesthetics, and how to design our own anesthetic and it was really cool. If you could find something like that, take it because it will help you decide if you want the clinical or research aspect)

Last edited:
Adcoms don't care what your major or minor is, only that you do well.

And get into medical school before you start considering a specialty. FYI, there is no medical specialty called" pharmaceutical science."

I'm a freshman chemistry major at a college known for an especially hard chemistry program. While I am definitely set on choosing the chemistry major, I'm not sure if it was a good decision, given how much emphasis medical schools place on GPA. On top of that, I'm also definitely adding an electrical engineering minor, if not full-blown double major. Our school is also known for how difficult its EE/CS classes are, so again I'm very hesitant on whether or not I should back out and choose easier classes, or go for what I'm really interested in, at the potential expense of my GPA.

Before you tell me that I just shouldn't apply to medical school, I genuinely am interested in medicine and its connection to chemistry. If I went to medical school, I would most likely specialize in anesthesiology or pharmaceutical science. In any case, I'd like to know how I should do, since I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place right now.